Attack on Titan - Reading the manga after watching the anime

I just finished the 25 episodes of Attack on Titan, and was very disappointed, since I did not realize it wasn't the complete series, but actually only the first season. - Not disappointed as in I think it is bad, though: disappointed as in, I want more! So much so, that I am considering reading the manga. 

However, I feel a bit torn about this. I really enjoyed the anime, and I was wondering if the manga may be different, as in the case with Game of Thrones, where the show vastly deviants from the books at some points. I want to read the same story as the show I watched. Did the show stay true to the manga, or did it not - rephrased as: is this two different versions of the same story? 

I haven't read a manga in ages, but it would be nice, though. How do you feel about picking up the original material, after watching the TV adaptation? How do you feel about picking up the manga, after watching the anime? Is it worth it, or should I just wait 'til next year?

There were so many unanswered questions when the season ended, I was at the edge of my seat, and suddenly it just finished. It was awesome and all that, but I want to unfold the mysteries, damn it! AND THE KEY?! WHAT ABOUT THE BASEMENT!

Help! :panic: 
Comments35
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I guess I'm the minority because I actually like the manga art more than the squeaky clean style the anime has. :lol:
I did the same thing. Watched the show first, then bought the manga. While the art takes some getting used to, IMO it's not bad, and the story is definitely worth it.
The art gets better. I skipped the chapters that were already covered by the anime and the art at that point on seems fine. I took a glance at the first few chapters and yeah.. the art improves a lot.
I started reading Shingeki no Kyojin after watching the first season of the anime and it's definitely a choice you won't regret! okay seeing that you haven't read the manga that pun will probably fly over your head >__>

The anime did a very good job staying true to the manga so you can pick up where the anime left off if you don't want to rehash the first season's storyline.  I think the anime ends somewhere around ch. 34 so you can start there if you want.  There's definitely a lot of plot twists and crazy happenings in the manga and it's definitely one rollercoaster of a ride, but I really like it.  I personally don't like the art style but you get used to it over time so hopefully that isn't something that'll deter you from reading.  The manga also updates monthly so you've got plenty of time to catch up to the latest chapter.  The chapters are pretty long and can be a bit text-heavy at times so you'll get the most out of it if you're willing to read while putting a bit of thought into it; it's definitely not a series that you can just mindlessly read, otherwise you'll miss a lot of the plot since it gets a bit complex at times.

Tl;dr: I highly recommend the manga!  It's just as exciting as the anime for the most part and I really enjoy it so far! :D
Thank you very much for your reply, I will read it now! :happybounce:
You're welcome! ^^ If you ever get overwhelmed by the feels or angst when reading, you can always rant to me since I stay updated with the latest chapters pretty well x)
If you haven't checked out the OVAs or the 2-part anime adaption of 'A Choice With No Regrets/Birth of Levi' I highly recommend it! (it's the prequel to Shingeki no Kyojin and is about Levi first joining the Survey Corps; the manga miniseries is only 6 chapters)
That sounds awesome, I will check it out! I'm adding you to my friend-list in case I get overwhelmed :happybounce: What other animes/mangas do you like?
Yup feel free to talk to me if you ever need to rant out your feels.  Shingeki no Kyojin is definitely a manga not to be taken lightly!

I'm not a huge anime watcher (though once in a while I will binge watch entire seasons lol) and usually I only watch anime that are adapted from manga series that I am currently reading or anime that are recommended by friends.  Some of my favorite non-manga-based anime are Kill la Kill, Hataraku Maou-Sama/The Devil is a Part-timer, and Free! (I liked the first season a lot more than the second one).  I'm currently reading Ao no Exorcist, Bleach, Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler, Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, and Makai Ouji: devils and realist ^^ (I'm reading others as well but these are the ones that are consistently updated with subs).

What about you?
I'm afraid I am not familiar with the titles you mentioned, but if you can recommend something I'm always open ears! I have it the exact opposite way: I don't read enough mangas, but watch quite many animes, and other TV-shows as well. My favorites animes are One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood - it follows the manga :heart: ), Death Note... I watched Naruto but it lost whatever it had after the time-skip. I tried watching Bleach, but it just didn't catch my interest.

I suppose it's some pretty mainstream stuff, but I really like the stories. I believe that if everyone on the planet watched One Piece, the world would be a better place :dummy: I've considered watching Cowboy Bebop and Code Geass, do you know those?

Because of work and relationships I have difficulty finding time for reading, whereas animes and shows let me enjoy it along with the people I care about. I really want to read Attack on Titan, though.
Like what the hell is going on?! The creators are pretty smart, creating such mystery around everything. Like, what was that big Titan? I think it's safe to assume that it is a human: it seemed to appear out of thin air and it had a purpose, just like Eren and Annie... but why would a human do that? Has this, and the what is in the damn basement, been revealed in the manga yet? 

... I also saw some pretty spoilery stuff when searching google pictures on the show. I know, I should not have done that, and I don't remember what I was searching now, but what I saw had something to do with Erwin - it looked like he was able to transform too. WHAT IS THIS? O.o
Ah that's okay--there are so many anime/manga titles out there that it's hard to hear about them all unless you've been into it for a long time or see it on social media (I recognize lots of titles just because I see them while scrolling through my Tumblr dashboard) or at bookstores.  Most of the titles I follow are pretty popular (have really large fandoms) with the exception of a few because I'm mainstream like that xD.  If you tell me what kind of genres you like, I can see if I can suggest titles from those genres! :D

I remember watching One Piece on tv as a kid!  I tried getting into the manga but it wasn't interesting enough for me to follow, even though some of my friends rave about how amazing it is haha.  The art style was also very exaggerated so it was hard for me to stick with it... I tried watching/reading FMA as well and that one never really stuck either, even though I know it's a really good series.  Maybe one day I will try to get back to it...  Out of the big 3 (One Piece, Naruto, Bleach), I'm definitely a Bleach fan.  I just love the artist's art style and the character designs *A*  I did watch Bleach for some time but then got bored of it since there were SO many filler episodes and the quality of the anime just went really low.  But I'm definitely sticking to the manga and I want to see it to the end--Bleach is in its final arc and I think it's expected to come to a close in less than 2 years (the mangaka Tite Kubo said that the final arc was expected to span 5 years' worth of chapters so we're more than halfway done @____@).

Ahh I feel like there are so many great series that truly tackle serious issues that everyone deals with and if everyone could just watch these series, the world would be a better place ^^.  I've definitely heard of Cowboy Bebop and Code Geass and they're classics but I've never seen either so unfortunately I can't give you much feedback about those...  They're popular for a reason so it wouldn't hurt to check them out if you've got the time! :D

There's SO MUCH that has happened in Attack on Titan that I feel really bad for people watching season 2 who don't read the manga because the anime is so behind on what's happening in the manga.  There are so many plot twists and unexpected happenings that my mind is blown.  There are other titan shifters like Eren and Annie and yes, the Colossal Titan's identity is already known in the manga.  We don't know what's in the basement since I feel like that'll be one of the end results of the series but we have gotten flashbacks that reveal some secrets regarding Eren's dad and what might be in the basement (I've got some theories).  As for Erwin transforming into a titan, that's not in the manga so if that's the only "spoiler" you saw, then you're fine ^^  Happy reading!  You'll have to tell me what you think of the series! :D (and prepare to have your mind blown by the plot twists)
View all replies
It's actually EXACTLY The same. Except the scene where they throw the corpses off the wagons. Which in my opinion was a good add on because it was the SADDEST SCENE EVER.
I hated that scene, it was horrible to my little heart o.o
The story is almost the same, by the way the art is sketchy in manga, totally not as good as the clean and neat anime art and a little hard to follow sometime, you may not like it. But well, I myself read the manga years before they make the anime, and was very enjoy it, there's a lot feeling in manga you can not see in the anime, so I myself think the manga story is way better than the anime.
Thank you for your reply! I think I will read it :)
I watched the anime first too, and then read the manga. The manga and the anime tell the same material in almost the exact same way. Even though the manga art is inferior, I still enjoyed reading it.
Why does everybody say that the art of the manga is bad - I just searched on it on Google Images, and it looks to be kind of the same style as the anime! 
See here

Thanks for the comment!
One thing to note is that the Google search also brought up images from the spin-off manga, like Attack on Titan: Before the Fall and Attack on Titan: No Regrets. These two manga have nice art.

The original AoT has amateur-looking art:
1. The human heads do not have enough volume and roundness, and other general anatomy wonky-ness.
2. Huge style difference between characters and background
3  The characters have fixed expressions: Eren always looks shocked, Armin looks ready to cry, and Mikasa looks dead-pan. 
4. The inking style is rough, and sometimes you can't tell what you are looking at. 

Compare the manga to the clean style of Fullmetal Alchemist, and you see a big difference. ;)
I see. That sounds a bit frustrating, but I will give it a shot. I want to read it from the beginning, and I am planning on reading everything I've already watched online, and then switch to physical manga books when I reached the material I haven't read. Do you know a good site I where I can read the first chapters?
Mangahere.co (note the missing "m") usually works for me, but you can just google "Shingeki no kyojin manga online" (the Japanese name) and find a site that works for you. ;)
You're welcome; do note that some sites can be spammy. 
The manga is contentwise exactly the same as the anime (as far as the anime goes, naturally). But it is of far far inferior quality. The humans are drawn really bad. And I mean really. The story also goes weird after a while, and I'm not sure how I like it.
the plot is the exact same if you ask me. there may be some extra characters you haven't seen but the anime is very true to the manga.
the manga is a very confusing and exciting roller coaster ride. I will tell you one thing though, not everything is as it seems...