Gustave Doré Books?

Hi all,

I haven't posted in a very long time, but I was wondering if there were any fans of Gustave Doré on here? I've just discovered his amazing art, linework fascinates me. after a lot of reading on researching on the internet, are there any good art books with his work in? I just prefer to read and study art in books, especially hardbooks. Can't be the only one? 

Thanks for any help :)

david
Comments9
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I adore his art! I have a Bible and right now I'm reading an annotated fairy tale book with some of his illustrations in it.
This is better suited in the Books & Comics forum as that's the place for published works.  I'm going to move it there for you
Thanks, i didnt spot the other section!

I can't help you with biographical books, but my favourite hard book that I own of his, is this one www.google.ie/?gws_rd=ssl#q=IS… which works extremely well with Longfellow's translation.
Images that appear: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hko1TN… (although the book features far, far more).

I mean to purchase an illustrated Bible of his when I can afford it.

Thanks for the recommendation! I know, there are so many books I need in my life but money always hinders me :(
Woops sorry I thought it was in the book section, must've misfired. Admins please feel free to move. Yeah i've been looking in libraries e.t.c but haven't actually hit the internet with it yet for some reason, just wondered if anyone had come across any good ones. thanks for the help guys :D
I think this might be more appropriate to Books forum. Maybe a mod will move it?

Anyway, yeah, I'm pretty sure you could just seek out a collection of his engravings (etchings? I can't recall offhand). There are also reprints of particular works he illustrated, such as Inferno etc.
They publish books that are just collections of Dore works. They're pretty easy to find. It's a bit harder to find the original text work along with the pictures, but they're out there.

I think his Paradise Lost illustrations are some of his best work. Dante's Inferno (etc etc) is probably a second.