Unfaithful adaptations that you still like (Possible spoilers)

I'm not sure if this should go in the movies/TV forum, so you can move it if need be.

Anyway, I've come across my share of movies based off of books, comics and manga that don't even bother following the source material.  But, there are a few times when I still enjoyed them. 

I remember still kinda liking The Golden Compass, as much as they had to censor to make it work.  Not that it wasn't without its noticeable flaws. It was the ending that really ruined it for me, mainly because it was so abrupt and the fact that they spared Roger.

I'm currently rereading Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, and I was pretty surprised to see just how much Don Bluth changed with The Secret of NIMH.  To be honest. I really like the fantasy elements that he added.  That, and I felt as though he added a lot more personality to the characters, mainly Mrs. Brisby.  The way they spoke in the book just didn't seem natural, and in the movie it was a lot easier to feel the urgency of her having to keep her family safe. 
Comments31
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I would say that Shrek changed a lot from the original book. The characters are the same, but the story is completely different and I preferred the movie to the book.
War of the Worlds. George Pal's and Spielberg's adaptations. Don't bring up The Asylum's and Pendragon's adaptations.
The Bourne Trilogy - can they even be called adaptations they were so loose?
I found the film version of Memoirs of an Invisible Man vastly superior to the book. Ditto for The Three Days of the Condor, which leaped over key details that the movie explored brilliantly. The Player is one of my favorite movies, but the book rushes along without engaging me.
I half-agree on The Golden Compass. The books were more complex and subtle, but I found the movie more emotionally engaging.
I would agree with The Secret of NIMH/Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. I much preferred the movie over the book. 

I also like the classic Disney version of Alice in Wonderland, but it's missing a lot of stuff from the books. I loved Lewis Carroll's original Alice stories and have yet to see a movie adaptation that I liked more than the books. Out of all of the Disney animated films to get sequels, why the hell didn't Alice in Wonderland, considering there are actually two Alice books?

I also like Bram Stoker's Dracula (the Coppola film). This seems to be a love it or hate movie, and a lot of people who are fans of Bram Stoker's novel seem to find it insulting that his name was in the movie's title, and they also hated the love story that was added to the film. I'm generally not a fan of love stories/romance films, but this kind of worked for me in the film and this is honestly my favorite Dracula film (at least that I've seen so far). 

Also, I can't forget James Whale's version of Frankenstein. I have not had the chance to read Mary Shelley's novel yet (I recently bought it though and hope to get around to sometime soon), but I've heard that the film and novel have very little in common. I love the film though!
Ella Enchanted is an amazing book and a goofy movie, but I still love it:) I actually ended up enjoying the movie of Neil Gaiman's Stardust better than the book, which rarely happens!
The Punisher(2004).

Absolutely nothing like the comic book at all.  Not even the origin story.  Thomas Jane made Frank looked too young.  However the action was good and seeing The Russian in it was also very cool to see.  The 2008 remake with Ray Stevenson was spot on, however the action was just terrible.  But hanging upside down from a chandelier while spinning in a circle with MP5?  Someone saw too much of The Matrix...  The gunfight with the different gangs all in one building with Frank on a mission to kill everyone inside and having the villain Jigsaw makes up for it.  But the special effects were low budget zombie tier movie bullshit.       
Off the top of my head (and it's not a book), I'd have to say the live-action Super Mario Bros. movie. As an adaptation of the games, it sucks, but it's a fun sci-fi comedy on its own.
How to  train your dragon was awesome.

I noticed that a lot of people are posting Howl's Moving Castle. I loved the movie but to some extent I had absolutely no idea what was going on. I had to fill in the gaps by going online and looking up whatever.... I'm kind of surprised. 
Howl's moving castle and How to train your dragon.  Both are totally different from their source material, but all four are awesome :la:
Starship Troopers
I like the movie, a friend lend me the book later. It is great but quite different. Not so much the story but the way it is told. There is almost no "action" in the book but a lot of talking.

Philomena
Book and movie are very different. Story is the same but from different points of view (mother/son). Book is good but I liked the movie better.
Don't ever see any of the sequels.  You will grow to despise the series. 
The cartoon series was pretty damn awesome, though.
This I will agree with. 
I already did Disbelief  so bad, so unbelievably bad Crying 
It's going to be ok.  That move can't hurt you any more.
Total Recall and Running Man. Almost nothing like the books, yet still some of the best Ahnold movies.
I never read Big hero six, but I love the movie. 
the 1976 version of Carrie, they had almost everyone die in different ways and took out Carrie's rampage across the town and it's still one of my favorite books and movies
TBH I think an adaptation should be able to stand alone rather then be uber accurate. yes some unfaithful adaptations can be bad but I'm not going to fail an adaptations just because It's not accurate
heck, Gankutsuou, my alltime favorite anime is an adaptation of the count of monte cristo. And while It isn't the most faithful plotwise it's still keeps up to the book's spirit (besides in episode 23). same for the 2003 version of Fullmetal alchemist Tokyo ghoul and Catching fire where The book was meh but I really liked the movie
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. The original book was about a Grampa telling his Grandchildren a story about an island where it rained food. The movie does something different and it actually works. There's scenes straight from the book that look amazing. It made me hungry.
Ehehe, 2005 Beowulf...
If it counts, I'd have to say the How to train your Dragon franchise, anyone who's read any of the books knows it doesn't at all follow the continuity of it, however there are a fair amount of subtle and a couple not-as-subtle nods to the books in both films and the show.
I didn't even know it was based off a book series until I caught the movie on TV last week. Managed to see a few of the novels at Target, too.