Books about facing death

Hey there.

So I didn't want to hit you with these bad news right off the bat, but I have cancer. It's a very terrible form of tumor and since there's no operation, medicine or anything that will help, I will likely only have a few months to live.

So that's why I'm asking for any good books about death or facing death. They don't necessarily have to be about cancer or necessarily have to be very cheerful or hopeful, just good reads.

And please I think I wouldn't like anything related to religion, spirituality or the idea of an afterlife. I have no religious convictions myself and find the idea of God and an afterlife both untrue and silly.

So is there anyone who'd like to help me?
Comments21
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
A Happy Death springs to mind.
i'm very sorry to hear that,i'll pray for you to get better(i think,there's always a hope for the better),may the every day of your life be the peaceful and full of good moments

well,i can recommend "Insomnia" and "Doctor Sleep" by Stephen King-they're both have such themes and with that are very interesting stories
Thank you so much for the kind words. I haven't read those books and will find out more about them, thanks for the reply.
The bad news is that I haven't been able to think of many books -- fiction or non-fiction -- that would help, but the good is that I may be able to go one better: there is a magazine called The Skeptical Inquirer. They began by investigating and usually debunking UFOs, psychics, and such. Over the years, they have expanded to a celebration of rationality and scientific reasoning. One of the founders then moved into book publishing as well, founding Prometheus books, which is full of scholarly books and tomes that reflect a humanist / scientific / atheist perspective. I suspect you can find several books that would work for you in their catalog. At least, I sure hope so.
I follow Skeptical Inquirer on Facebook, as well Skeptic Magazine, RDF, and other skeptical/atheist/science-oriented pages and groups. I have many books about science and religion, as well about the clash between the two (like the necessary items The God Delusion and God is not great), in my bookshelf. I am a member of the Swedish Humanist Association and the Swedish Skeptic Society promoting science and education. I love these these topics and have done so for a large part of my life. I try and learn something new every day. I love to hear these kind of recommendations and would appreciate more in the form of books, articles, video clips and what have you. By the way, I just finished reading the much interesting "Paranormality" by Dr Richard Wiseman about explanations behind so-called paranormal phenomena, and I highly recommend it. Thank you so much for your reply :)
Wow, you are every bit as involved in that world as I hoped. There is a lot of support for someone in your situation from the Humanist community, since mainstream society tends to demand the sort of perspective you are avoiding. Off the top of my head, all I can think of to add, if you haven't read them already, are Richard Feynman's books -- especially his autobiographical works. They aren't entirely honest -- the excellent Genius clarifies a lot of stuff that Feynman glosses over -- but he faced a similar situation with what I consider a lot of strength. Indeed, he was involved in investigating the Challenger incident while struggling to manage his health.
I'll try to think of reading material that might fit your interests and pass it along as it occurs to me.
I know about Feynman's illness and death a little bit, but haven't heard of his book. I will investigate more about it, possibly read it.

I know atleast that swedish humanists can do a secular funeral for me, without priests and religious talk and symbols, so I will probably arrange that atleast.
Feynman's own books are Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman and the more personal What Do You Care What Other People Think. In the latter, he talks about losing his first wife to TB. The story is a tragedy and a black comedy (he encountered more delays than a bad comedy writer would throw his way while trying to reach her, that last day). More recently, there was a TV movie about the Challenger Investigation and how he risked his health to penetrate a whitewash of the problems. William Hurt starred in it. No masterpiece, but a decent movie, in my opinion.
My condolences to you :heart:

Anyway, I would recommend Before I Die by Jenny Downham.  It's about a 16 year old girl dying of cancer, and how she spends the last three months of her life.  Very touching
That's kind of you, I appreciate it.

This sounds like just the kind of book I would be interested in reading right now - thank you so much for the recommendation.
I hope you enjoy it :heart:
My condolences to you.  I hope what time you have left on this earth are peaceful and allow you the time to reconcile whatever worried you during your life.

The only book that comes to mind off the top of my head is Dante's Inferno, but you said you weren't interested in books with a religious connection so I'm pretty much flat out of ideas.
Thank you very much my friend.

I have read Dante's Inferno many times and I don't really consider it as a religious book, but more a play on the concept of afterlife, after all it's called "the divine comedy" :)
Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom I read it in class last year, I enjoyed it though my friend found it too sappy. It's about the last months the author spent with his old college professor and how he taught him "lessons on life"

And the poem Dear Lovely Death by Langston Hughes had helped me deal with grief over a lost one in the past...I'm not sure if it will help...but I think there's a chance...
Dear lovely death
That taketh all things under wing-
Never to kill-
Only to change
Into some other thing
This suffering flesh,
To make it either more or less,
Yet not again the same-
Dear lovely death, Change is thy other name.

It's not terribly long you see and I hope it provides at least a little comfort...I'm sorry if it's not what you're looking for
I have heard good things about that book and I will most probably buy it someday.

And that was a very nice poem.
Hi!

I'm so sorry to hear about your cancer! I pray for people with cancer every night, so I'm also praying for you. I hope beyond any odds you will recover... I hope you keep hoping too!

I just wanted to post real quick because a book I own came to mind. It's called Regine's Book by Regine Stokke.
It's sort of a compilation of this girl's blog and some photos of her and her photography. She started blogging when she was diagnosed with cancer and got a lot of supporters. Unfortunately she lost the fight, but her blog was turned into a book to share her story. Very deep and a good read, but a little sad.
Thank you for your kind words. Even if I don't believe prayer does any practical good in real life, I can respect and appreciate the gesture if it is your means of offering sympathy. Most of all I hope my family and friends won't live their lives being too sad all the time when I'm gone, I want them to still move forward and be happy.

I will look into the book you mentioned, it seems interesting. Thank you.
You're very welcome! I understand, I'd want the same thing too. You probably have, but I would definitely tell them that in the hopes of reminding them of your wishes in the future!

Let me know if you like the book. :)
Julia Ecklar - The Kobayashi Maru
Never heard of it, but I will look into it. Thanks.