Recommend some happy books, please.

Hey -

just finished reading Remarque's Flotsam. His descriptions are amazing, but his books really get me down because of the sadness therein. So here I am, asking about an modern novel author whose prose is upbeat and optimistic, so I have something to put between Remarque readings.

I welcome any and all recommendations. 19th, 20th, 21th century is the best.
Please, just avoid authors like Terry Pratchett.

Thank you!
Comments18
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Going to move this over to the books forum for you since you'll probably get a better response there 
Have you read Harry Potter? You might like it :)
Jonas Jonasson, The Girl Who Saved The King of Sweden and The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared. Though those are more funny than happy.

Also Three Bags Full by Leonie Swann. There's few things that could make me much happier than reading that book.

Douglas Adams of course.

The Oz books by Baum are surprisingly good, at times.
Simon De Froque and the Terrible Turnip.
I was coming in here to suggest Dr Suess, but raspil beat me to it. :grump:

Whenever I want to smile, I leaf through Hitch Hiker's Guide. Always a win.
I was thinking about Little Critter
I LOVE Little Critter. I even have a plush Little Critter to go with my books... xD
I didn't know they made those! I own like every book published. Favorite thing to read when I was a little tot. 
They dooooo, my mom found one for me and bought it. :D But it was a department store that isn't in my area, so it might be a regional thing? They also have one of his sister, but who even cares about the sister? LOL. I'll have to make it my deviant ID one day or something. :P
Have you ever looked up the author? He looks like a human version of Little Critter lol, it's his face or something. 
I have not, but now I need to! :o
i'll be your little critter
baby, you know what I like. 
What's wrong with Terry Pratchett :stinkeye:
This should probably be in the Books forum -- but if you don't mind 19th century prose, Jane Austen's stories usually have happy endings.