Know any good web comics?

So, I've been reading Strong Female Protagonist, The Fox Sister and some of Faith Erin Hicks' stuff among other things.

Does anyone know of any other good serious or semi-serious web comics?
Comments31
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Gatekeeper- really good crime/ psychological type webcomic
I have a webbie called THE BOOK OF LIES.  It's a horror anthology comic, so the stories tend to the dark side of human nature.  Here's the site --> bookofliescomic.webcomic.ws/

And here's a peek at a couple of the stories:
Dump Site pg01 -- from THE BOOK OF LIES by Paul-A-NewmanSo It Is Written pg01 -- from THE BOOK OF LIES by Paul-A-NewmanSafe and Hapy Home pg01 -- from THE BOOK OF LIES by Paul-A-NewmanTrophies pg 01 from THE BOOK OF LIES by Paul-A-NewmanFillings page 1 - from THE BOOK OF LIES by Paul-A-NewmanRISING pg 1 -- from THE BOOK OF LIES by Paul-A-Newman

DUMP SITE page 1
AND SO IT IS WRITTEN page 1 --> bookofliescomic.webcomic.ws/co…
SAFE AND HAPPY HOME page 1 --> bookofliescomic.webcomic.ws/co…
TROPHIES page 1 --> bookofliescomic.webcomic.ws/co…
FILLINGS page 1 --> bookofliescomic.webcomic.ws/co…
RISING page 1 --> bookofliescomic.webcomic.ws/co…
Some of them?

I give you all of them

My personal favorites are:

Dumbing of age: by David Willis. (if you liked SFP you might as well enjoy it)

Blindsprings: excellent fantasy webcomic that never neglects its seriousnesss.

Bad Machinery: THE webcomic about mystery solving pre-teens of the 21st century.

Creepcomic: a cute, and funny indie-superhero webcomic that really needs more viewers.
(not very serious but you might as well enjoy it).

Soul Symphony: more on the category of semi-serious but the world the author builds is too good to not follow it.

lighter then heir: another serious webcomic with a good, solid world, catchy artstyle and characters that just win you over.

It's Walky: Another one by David Willis. it was finished some years ago, but the author is bringing it back with remastered drawing. The best webcomic I've read: witty, clever, funny, and serious in all the flavors you like; from deep reflections about human beliefs to relationship drama.
There are a lot of great comics on Deviant art. Also Tapastic is a good place to find webcomics.

tapastic.com/series/Ark - Just starting, about anthropomorphic magic creatures? (I'm actually not sure yet what it's about but it's a beautiful comic)
irvingsdeeds.deviantart.com/ - a cheetha that has to do 100 good deeds to get his spots back (another beautiful comic)
bird-boy.com/ - more beautiful artwork

Oh, and I have a webcomic too. I'm on deviant art, tapastic, or our own comic site, and I'd love to hear what you think of it: www.OopsComicAdventure.com

My comic is about... well...
[Short version] The quest of a young boy to find his family, in a medieval fantasy. Along the way he makes friends with odd characters & learns the true meaning of family.

[Longer version] Oops Comic Adventure is a coming of age story about a young street rat, named Oops, living in the medieval city of Castlebury. With the help of his friend, a giant rat named Plague, they set off on a quest to find his family and where he belongs. His only clue to his past is a broken watch lid with an etching of a forgotten family crest. Through stressful situations like, evading the evil dark King Hectric Tepper's Knights and Hec Hounds, Oops finds that he has magical abilities that burst from him when his emotions reach a boiling point. Gaining friends as he quests, they stand by his side and help him find the answers he seeks.
Don't say "In your butt!" don't say "In your butt!" don't say "In your butt!"
...In your butt?
DOH!
You could always try the website Tapastic which has a lode of webcomics made by different peeps: tapastic.com/

And I'll just casually promote my own webcomic: tapastic.com/episode/30856
Check out Jay Naylor's stuff.

Also  www.darkwhitecomic.com/  is pretty good.  A user here made it :icondarkwhitecomic:
Thank you for the shout-out! I appreciate it. :)

If you're looking for strong female characters in webcomics I'd recommend Dream*scar dream-scar.net/ and Trying human www.tryinghuman.com/
Girl Genius (Steampunk Mad Scientists.  Monsters with some very nice hats. Multiple Hugo Award wins.)
El Goonish Shive (Supernatural/scifi comedy in an American high school that gradually gets more serious)
Gunnerkrig Court (Kind of defies description.  It's a British boarding school with magic, but bears pretty much no resemblance to Harry Potter.  There are robots.)
Zebra Girl (Supernatural/scifi comedy that rapidly gets more serious, then has a total angstsplosion with the aftermath of it being the current storyline)
Stand Still, Stay Silent (A virus transforms all mammals into monsters.  Only a few Scandinavians survive, most of them in Iceland. 90 years later they are planning an expedition into the still contaminated world. Still in the early stages of the story.)
Sidekick Girl (Deconstruction of superhero tropes, gets more serious over time)

Avalon (Soap Opera with comedic element in a Canadian high school, finished, although the ending was text rather than in comics.  Bears no resemblance to Degrassi.)
Errant Story (Unusual fantasy that combines various elements in an unusual way.  Finished but currently cycling though the old comics with new commentary, you can still read the whole thing)

PS: Missed the "serious or semi-serious" initially and so removed the mostly comedy items from the list.
Romantically Apocalyptic, Cucumber  Quest, Nimona, Khaos Komix, Ava's Demon and anything by Emily Carroll

All good and differing in styles :D Khaos Komix's art is not fantastic (the artist was still learning while he was making it), but the story is fantastic and it's nice seeing an artist progress with each issue :P
The Breaker and The Breaker New Waves (sequel)
Todd Alllison & the Petunia Violet; it is very good as far as art, story, and strong female protagonists.
Fisheye Placebo is really beautiful, I'd suggest it.
Can I put mine down? I have many people who like it, I mean it's something to read... and you might potentially like it.
kromcompany.deviantart.com/gal…
There's this amazing comic called www.thescarydog.com

I made it, it's terrible.
Boston Metaphorical Society  
involves Nikola tesla, Harry Houdini, Alexander Graham bell and someone else. Basically history and action in one :P
Thats the only one I can come up with
Why yes, this one! Blue Blaster! blue-blaster.com/
I'm not a massive webcomic fan, but I've been completely taken by Gunnerkrigg Court . It's about a socially repressed girl with some hidden talents living in a very weird, often creepy boarding school with secrets, lies, the occasional demon and all that jazz. It sounds pretty generic when I put it like that but it's got a lot of depth and intricacy to it. You might not take to it right away, but if you take a leap of faith with it, it goes a long way very quickly. :)