comic book recommendations.

I'm just curious what you are recommending comics for someone to read what is the tittle you recommend most often? 
Comments27
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Scott Pilgrim.
scott pilgrim is awesome, indeed. 
V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Swamp Man, Katrina Hates Dead Shit and Sandman are my favorites. And as for webcomics, here's my favorite www.schoolbites.net/
i've read watchmen and sandman is my all time favorite. i read it in high school and it was on of the big things that got me into comics so i recommend it to people as well. i will have to look into those others they have interesting tittles. 
Well, there are three online comics I like: Teahouse, Starfighter (both yaoi), and Bucko.

Other comics I like would be Deadpool and Fables.
deadpool and fables are high on my list of favorites. 
Scarlet written by Brian Michael Bendis and illustrated by Alex Maleev is an interesting read.  If you enjoy stories about government corruption, activism, social disobedience, revenge, and what I would call "raw", vibrantly colored drawings it would be right up your alley.  
i will have to check that out. it sounds interesting. 
Oh, it certainly was.  I didn't realize until I had commented on the forum that a second volume had been released.  I'm going to have to revisit it now. 
i found it on amazon and it looks really cool so next time i order comics i will probably be getting it. 
Cool!  I hope you enjoy it like I did. 
i hope so too. thanks for the recommendation. 
Concrete by Paul Chadwick is a little sporadic, but more accessible to new readers than some titles, with wonderful art by the author.
i don't think i have ever heard of that. i will look into it. 
It's best to start with the first volume in the series so you are familiar with the references they later make (though if you don't do this, Chadwick tries to give you at least a hint of what you misses). My favorite volume is Fragile Creature, for the interesting storyline, complex characters, and some dazzling art.
well starting at the beginning is usually pretty important. 
In some series more than most, but there are a few out there where you can drop in pretty much anywhere without losing anything.
that is true, some things are kind of self contained stories that explain whatever you need to know as they happen. i like to start at the beginning even if it's not really necessary. 
Yeah, that's perfectly reasonable. If nothing else, it shows you what the creator's mindset from the beginning, and how it evolved as the work progressed.
The only ongoing comic  series I still follow are Mingola's Hellboy and B.P.R.D. If you only know Hellboy from the incredibly lame movies, give the comics a try - there's a vast, rich and mythologically inspired universe to dig into. But it's contained enough that I've been able pick up all the trades without breaking the budget. I had to drop all the Marvel titles I was collecting.

For standard superhero fare I recommend Marvels (Busiek/Ross), the Ultimates vol. 1 & 2 (Millar/Hitch), Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns, Earth X (Marvel) and Justice (DC). I prefer contained (usually non-canon) narratives to ongoing series. People often recommend Watchmen, but that's really a terrible place to start.

Also, I love the Complete Calvin & Hobbes (Watterson) and R. Crumb's Illustrated Genesis.
hellboy was actually one of the first comics i read when i was first starting to get into them when i was in like seventh grade and it was because of the first movie. which i didn't think was lame. not as good as the comics i by far but i disagree on the lameness. 

i've read watchmen and some frank miller batman stuff but i will have to check the rest of those out. 
Maybe lame isn't the right word but I thought the second Hellboy film was almost a parody of the comics, just because the tone and character relationships were so different.
i don't think i ever saw the second one if i did i don't remember it at all so it couldn't have made an impression.