Hen will dc make their multiverse infinite

After reading multiversity today it shows that the DC Multiverse is still only 52 worlds it has been this way since they reintroduced it 7 years ago it should be infinite but they still have it at that number which leads me to this question are they EVER make it infinite like it's supposed to be or are they going to leave it at that asinine severly limiting number if anyone knows anything please tell me
Comments15
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
while the offical DC position my be that there are only 52 universes this is mainly for organizational purposed for the writers, artists, and marketers to keep track of story lines and know where everyone falls in relation to each other.

but to the fan base every universe/storyline/variation that has existed does still exist and is constituted as real as long as it was part of an official DC release. so in actually their are an infinite number of DC universes weather DC official claims them or not.

Marvel has so many different universe they do not even keep track anymore, DC just likes to consolidate and DC has a history of having their storyline across multiple comic series line up because of it.

I am writing a comic that deals with my team of heroes "patrolling" and moving across the multiverse to do there job, with that i can literally do anything with their story lines cause nothing that happens in one universe effects what happens in another. it also allows me to do crossovers easily, but it also gives me problems when i want to go back to previous universes because of the breaks in continuity it inevitable creates.
I've never understood why it matters if none of these universes are barely ever going to interact with each other.
the point of having mutliple universes is for the exact point that they and the unique story lines in each never come in contact with each other and thus come in conflict with each other. in the New 52 universe Wonder woman is dating Superman, while in the JL:unlimited universe Wonder Woman goes out with Batman (if you can call it that)

the separation of universes allows comic book writers the ability to tell multiple different stories with various different outcome and have every single one of them remain canon within the characters history.

Occasionally their are universal crossover issues and story lines some of the common ones are where the heroes turn villains: Justice League Vs Justice Lords is one that comes to mind.

more rarely you have multiple versions of the hero's team up.
I recall and episode of the 90's Spiderman TV show where Spidy teamed up with 8 different version of himself, one was version that kept the 4 extra arms peter got during the earlier Man-spider story arc, and another one was a spiderman/iron man mix where peter was his universes tony stark

I also recall an episodes of (the horrible) Batman:Brave and Bold where Batman called in a dozen or so version of himself to battle a team up of supervillians to save the other heroes that had been captured.

the main point of my rambling is they do it to allow creative flexibility and the don't do universe crossovers cause they cause the story lines to clash with each other and that is just confusing.
But that's just it: They will do crossovers. There's always somebody fucking hopping back and forth from Earths 1, 2, and 3. I mean for chrissakes, look at Power Girl. Her whole origin is a clusterfuck of "Which Earth am I from?" and she gets to keep hanging around.

But then you have Earths that just get completely neglected. They're left to just stay and collect dust after they were created all those years ago. When's Red Son Superman gonna go hang around in the DC animated universe? When's whatever universe Vampire Batman is from going to declare war on Frank Miller's Batman universe?
that is for DC and the writers to decide. we as fans are of course allowed to fan-fictions that do things DC has not done yet. it will not be cannon of course, but write it well enough and it may one day become reality.

and yeah those little crossover can create from neat story arcs, but then again DC has already built in there dimensional barriers they call "Source walls and only certain character such as Flash and the Monitors can move between dimensions.
Urgh.

Tell you what, just wake me when things at DC go back to pre-new 52 era normal-ness.
sorry you can't ret-con a reboot, once you do a reboot on the scale DC did at the end of the infinty crisis their is no going back, so you are suck with reading old issues, or pressing forward so you become part of DC and high enough up to make those story arc decisions.
View all replies