Calling those who have read ALL of A Song of Ice and Fire- looking for help!

Apologies if this is in the wrong forums, I was debating on putting this in the Literature forum but since it involves knowledge of books I put it here.

Hello! So I'm not too sure what people's opinions are on things like this, but my friend and I who are both avid Game of Thrones fans and RPers are planning on creating a Game of Thrones based roleplay group, and for this to happen we need to know what noble houses that currently exist would have a chance of surviving, and in what condition.

The plot we're toying with is basically that winter came, causing a lot of destruction to Westeros and its houses. The time in the current universe would be around 100-150 years on from this happening, and things have just about shakily recovered from this. New house in power, but we want to derive a few of our new houses from the canon ones in the most realistic way possible without spending years getting every detail right. We accept that we're not going to get everything spot on but we'd like to at least attempt it.
The reason I ask is because neither of us have finished reading the series. I myself only bought the entire set at the start of summer, and it's taking a while to read. I'm only about 1/4 of the way through A Clash of Kings, hence why we ask for people who have read all 7 books. I've seen all of the show's current existing seasons but as it's not anywhere near the latest book I don't want to make assumptions from that.

Please try not to spoil anything plot-wise unless it's essential for us to know. 

And if you don't agree with the whole idea of the RP, please try and keep rude comments to yourself. We're both extremely passionate about this and would love to create a place in which we can RP our own characters in a universe we adore.

Which noble houses would survive the winter and in what condition?

We're particularly wanting to know for the main ones, such as Lannister, Stark, Tyrell, Baratheon, Martell, etc. The fate of the smaller houses aren't really of concern but all the same we'd appreciate your input on those.

Also, if you have any ideas for a different plot you'd feel would work better, we'd love to hear. Thank you so much in advance!
Comments19
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Lannister - Given the current state of affairs with this House I will refrain from saying anything. Lol.

Stark - They would be fine with Winter (apart from being so close to imminent danger across the Wall) if George R R Martin hadn't completely decimated them, lol. 

Tyrell - Yes. They have enough resources and enough allies to last the Winter.

Baratheon - Only with a great amount of luck. Stannis has it in him but does he have heirs? Does anyone even have the ability to lead the Baratheons out of the hellhole they've dug for themselves? They're in peril but if they can restock their family (unlikely) then they have the wealth and fortitude to survive.

Martell - As long as their current war with the Lannisters doesn't destroy them (not a spoiler, they hated them from their introduction), this is a strong House. And, honestly, their geographic location should protect them from the worst of Winter.
This is the kind of answer I was looking for, this was extremely helpful! Thank you so much. I was thinking  the same thing geographically about the Martells, and the Tyrells do seem stable enough both in terms of where Highgarden is and how many allies they have. I can't remember off the top of my head if there's any other main houses besides Targaryen which would need a miracle to survive. Thank you again c;
There are more Targaryns than you think by the end of the series. At least two, probably three. They also have two armies by the end of the book. (Possibly three though the third is neutral and probably will keep busy elsewhere. 
i have a feeling that 1 would turn out to be a fake
We don't know about the third one yet. The second one is most likely real (even Dany herself thinks so) and the other is Dany herself. 
Well we have to wait and see.
Targaryens if R+L=J
I am not thinking the Targaryens have enough family members to even be a contender ....
So there's a chance that the Targaryen house would survive? From what I've read/seen the only living ones are Daenerys and Aemon but if there's something later on in the books that changes that, then yay c: Thank you!
I'll say the fan theory because it was already worked out by book two. 

The theory is that Jon Snow was never Ned Stark's son. Instead, he is the son of his sister who was carried off Helen of Troy style by Rhagar (which would make Jon Dany's nephew.) Ned promised his sister he would never tell, and keep the child secret so he wouldn't be killed like the other Targaryns heirs. Then made up the story about him being his son. 
other part of my comment is fan theory
continue reading and u will see
Definitely will, thanks! ☺️
i think STarks and MArtells woudl do the best.
Really? I thought Starks would be one of the least likely since only Rickon as far as I know would continue the legacy. Then again, I haven't read far in the books. Thank you for the answer though c:
Bran could too if he doesn't become the next tree guy. I mean, there isn't an implication of impotence. He was being trained by their Maester to take over the House while the other family members were gone, so there is a chance that he could lead them. But that's a lot of pressure for two young boys, and Arya seems to have no interest whatsoever.

Sansa tho! She may be able to salvage the clan. I have a lot of faith in her (I always did, but thankfully Martin is finally highlighting her strengths instead of merely making her survive!), and she has a lot of pride and love for her family.
well, i mena theyre around, Arya and Sansa Bran and Rickon, and technically their mom too. im just thinking gut instinct
dont forget robb named jon the heir to winterfell and king in the north