Who would be a good opponent for Wonder Woman?

I've been planning a series of art pieces featuring face-offs between characters from different worlds/companies, for example Superman vs. Captain America, and I have been trying to decide who would be a suitable opponent for Wonder Woman. At first I thought Storm from X-Men as she and Wonder Woman battled in the DC vs. Marvel series, but I later changed it to Ms. Marvel. Now I'm thinking maybe Jean Grey.

My brother insists that the best match is She-Hulk, but I think She-Hulk is a less serious character and therefore unsuitable.

The kind of match I'm looking for does not necessarily have to be as powerful as Wonder Woman, but she must be held in similar standing. For example Superman clearly outmatches Captain America, but I placed them together as they are the ‘boy scouts’ of their respective universes.

So which character is the best match? Or is there another more suitable match that I have not mentioned?

What do you think?

Comments125
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Yeah probably Ms. Marvel / Captain Marvel or Jean grey would be good choices. Jean Grey > Storm such as Wonder Woman > Supergirl in your so called standing within their universes. Although jean grey has more standing as in respect, storm has more standing as she's been in more story lines and has played a part in more things. She hulk is a less worthy character standing wise but she does match wonderwoman's power.
Yeah, I chose to use Ms. Marvel. She's not quite Wonder Woman, but no one is really.
Jean would probably be in a lot more stories if she didn't keep dying. I guess that's the price of being the Phoenix, huh?
"Not quite Wonder Woman" she out classes Wonder Woman honestly. Not by that much but she is stronger, faster and everything else then wonder woman
She also has energy absorbing powers that Wonder Woman doesn't have.
That being said I think a battle between the two would probably be determined by who the better fighter is and I think it would be Wonder Woman.
She could absorb energy from her surroundings as well, so you can't rule that out. And she still has the ability to project energy. Wonder Woman is the better fighter, but ms.marvel is a heavier hitter, which would do more damage, and it only that but she can take the same amount the she can dish out like it's nothing, so that just raises the bar even higher. I still think carol has this one over Diana
They are very evenly matched, so it could depend on the situation.

The New 52 Wonder Woman is supposed to have godly powers, so that should bend things in her favor. I didn't draw that version in my picture, though.
You made a miss marvel vs Wonder Woman pic? Ha, so did I! I made it a a year ago. It's actually how I learned so much about both characters. I researched the crap out of both of them cause I used to calculate who would win with my friend.
View all replies
Ms.Marvel (currently Captain Marvel) to see who get's their own movie first (honestly that's kind of sad when you think about it.)
Yeah, I decided on using Ms.Marvel/ Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers). She seemed to be the best match.

Many people are hoping after she makes her debut in the Superman/Batman movie, Wonder Woman will soon get a movie of her own.

Ms. Marvel might also have to also make an appearance in an Avengers movie before she stars in her own. In fact they might want to make a Captain Marvel movie with Mar-Vell before they make a Ms. Marvel film.
The thing us their using batman/superman as focus testing for a wonder woman movie, but even the that'll come after Justice League which is coming right after batman/superman (which is why it has that stupid subtitle). A Captain or Miss Marvel movie would be much easier to add to the phase 3 movies and is a lot more hopeful at this point than a wonder woman movie.
I would have assumed that they would be eager to make a Wonder Woman movie since she is one of the most popular comic book characters, but DC is moving very slow compared to Marvel and I guess if they think that she would not do well in her own film she may be confined to the Justice League movies.
Well they did announced that failed Wonder Woman TV show (that pilot was horrible) and they've been iffy since Green Lantern flopped, and now their stuck trying to play a failed game of catch up to Marvel.
I haven't seen that show; I just saw that she wore the silly 'blue jeans' outfit and I think that was probably a step backward for Wonder Woman.

Maybe DC will keep trying to expand their world through their current line of TV series instead. Green Arrow has one, and now The Flash is going to have one as well. Some of their other detective heroes might work well as TV shows.
Well it only made it to an unaired pilot that is constantly being bashed on the internet, where she was a superhero whose straight up killed people and had a secret identity that was the CEO of a massive company, and another had a secret identity that was an average girl (for some reason) and there was the fact she wasn't an amazon in this version and amazons are never mentioned.

Never watched Arrow, probably never gonna watch Arrow, made Green Arrow to Batmany when he isn't Batman. I think this stems from a problem of DC being unable to market their heroes to non comic fans, unless their name is Batman.
View all replies
Hannibal Lecter
That may be the strangest suggestion I've received so far.

Care to elaborate?
He's the current editor in chief of DC. As in the guy responsible for all the bad decisions.
And I suppose Wonder Woman is in a constant struggle to get out from under his influence?
All DC comics is. There's a reason why a page like this exists.
Okay, I've finished the Wonder Woman picture and I chose Ms. Marvel, so I don't need anymore suggestions on that matter.

The next character that I need an opponent for is Cyclops from X-Men. I really don't have any suggestions for this one, so any ideas are welcome.

To give you an idea of what I'm looking for I'm judging the matches by the following criteria:

Power: It's better if the two opponents are on a level playing field and maybe even have the same ability. In Cyclops' case he shoots beams from his eyes.

Position: This is probably the most important factor. I'd prefer that both opponents match each other in importance and recognition. Cyclops is best known for being the leader of the X-Men, and he is a well-known character, so a little known underling would probably not be a good match.

Format: I'd prefer if both opponents came from the same type of media, which is comics in Cyclops' case. That being said, I won't say no to a good match just because it's not from a comic. In fact the characters from Marvel comics have appeared in many formats and an obvious one is the Capcom fighting games, so really you can look anywhere. Also it cannot be a character from the same company (Marvel in this case).

Appearance: I may look more favorably on a match if the characters have a similar look.

Even if your suggestion doesn't fit all of these, it's okay. Superman and Captain America are mismatched in power, but I put them together because they have such similar positions in their universe and in recognition.

I hope this list isn't making it overly complicated.
Like I said I have no suggestions, so any ideas are welcome.
Kano - Mortal Kombat
I think a better match for Kano would be a mercenary like DC's Deadshot (though I also think a better match for Deadshot is Marvel's Bullseye).

For Cyclops I'd prefer someone who wasn't a villain and possibly someone who is a leader.