"We are the asshole generation!" Chris Butcher.

Now, excuse me for the title, I had to make it as captivating as possible.

I happened to read this article last night.
comicsbeat.com/must-read-can-y…

What brought my attention is this quotation by Chris Butcher:

“One of Tokyopop’s greatest sins is creating an asshole generation of readers obsessed with ‘authenticity,’ hatefully pointing out ‘fake’ manga. There is an audience for work influenced by manga and Japan. It was at TCAF this weekend. We just gotta ignore the haters and press.”

Now let me say that his words are somewhat true. I tend to ignore any manga or a game that possess the theme of anime and manga that isn't made in japan. But it's not because they were made outside japan, but when the "Outsiders" usually trying to mimic a style only to fail at it. so far very few non-Japanese mangaka achieved the "feel" of a manga, and all of them were korean, the NA manga tend to look like Japanese amateurish doujinshi at best! At least that's what I think.

Opinions?
Comments4
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
That's true. I'm always hesitant with non-asian manga/anime because most western artists seem to fail with the design. I keep seeing these books in bookstores with titles like 'How to draw manga' or whatever and the content is so mediocre; its painfully obvious that the artist hasn't fully grasped/understood manga very well.
I mean I don't mean to sound like an all-knowing condescending a-hole (though I guess I sound like one) but this is something I'm finding often.
Not all non-japan/korean artists suck though. Some are really really good as dA has shown here.
I like what waremole said, very well thought out and written.
You seem to be ignoring Brandon Graham, James Stokoe, Giannis Milonogiannis, Faith Erin Hicks, Felipe Smith, LeSean Thomas and any of the other highly successful comics and animation pros with a heavy Japanese cartooning influence. Manga and anime are also not "themes" or "genres", they are not even mediums. It's another word for comics and cartoons, so the "feel of manga" is irrelevant. If "authenticity", a claim which is wholly imagined, is neither strived for nor demanded and works are allowed to develop into their own thing the influences is meaningless.

So be influenced, just don't be a copycat because what you think you are copying are just the misconceptions in your own head.