Rogue vs. Hulk

Warning: This thread will contain copious amounts of comic book wankery. And it will be glorious.

For the less-initiated, Rogue of the X-Men has the mutant power to absorb the life force and abilities of anyone she makes skin to skin contact with. This power is not limited to mutants, as her flight and invulnerability in the 90s were copied from Ms. Marvel, who herself copied them from the genetics of the alien species known as the Kree.

Hulk is... Hulk. An unstoppable, indestructible green rage-monster. The madder he gets, the more powerful he gets.

So what would happen if Rogue touched the Hulk?
Comments49
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Rogue would lose from not being Hulk, as would everyone.
She would get some of his powers, but I'm assuming that if she's not angry and instead going "holyshitholyshitITSTHEHULKHOLYSHT" it won't do her much good.
Damn, that's a bit of a poser. :confused:

My money's on the Hulk though.
Hulk is fueled by the rage within him, and it seems to be limitless, like mother's love and boring school days.
Can Rogue absorb Hulk's rage since it's not a "power" per se? And pretty sure Rogue's absorbing abilities have a limit.
Hulk can just get angrier and angrier and go berserk BUT still has some sort of control, poor Rogue would probably go crazy at some point. One happy hug from hulk and Rogue's skeleton is chalk.

:wave:
I think you're right.
Would there necessarily be a fight? Historically the Hulk has not been aggressive towards peaceful, civilian women. If the question is what would happen if Rogue touched him, then the answer would be dependent upon the manner in which it happened. If it was done gentle and calm enough and if she could control the newfound rage long enough, it could sooth him. If she tried to jump him, he'd just knock her out of the way. She'd be back to normal within no time.
It depends on Hulk's temperment. Betsy is about the only one who calms Hulk down. But when he's going berserker, pretty much nothing else is spared his rage.
The Gama radiation would kill her so hulk would win
Rogue will appear as a new She-Hulk. :)
Rouge will touch the Hulk, get SOME of his power (yes, her power has limits) go insane from having his rage, get defeated by him, then die from radiation poisoning afterwards.
And lose that glorious head of hair a little bit at a time. :(
Why is it that everyone thinks this is a fight? The question is what would happen if Rogue touched the Hulk. Looks like no one has been reading any Marvel titles recently like in the Avengers titles to be exact. Well first off the Hulk is not as mindless as we think he is and for now he just smashes when he feels like it, or if the safety of the human race is threatened. So I'll presume that if indeed for some reason whatever that is that Rogue touched skin with the Jade Behemoth, it will present some very interesting questions. Given she will absorb his Gamma irradiated powers and she will turn green. But part of that deal is muscles or his anatomy growing into spectacular proportions, (and if She Hulk is any indication Rogue will be an even hotter Babe). Since the mechanics of the Hulks power is partially feasible, since its already proven that exposure to radiation stimulates accelerated growth and mutation (w/c poses the question why is the Hulk not a mutant?) will this factor make the power permanent? And is Marveldom ready for another ripped sexy Babe? I guess there is no way of knowing unless it actually happened for real.
Obviously Rogue.
Well, huh. Interesting question. :confused: It's similar to the Juggernaut versus the Blob arguments (the immovable object versus and unstoppable force situation, for anyone who hasn't read up on those Marvel villains). I haven't read X-Men in the last five or so years, so I'm a little out of date. And, full disclosure, I've never read Hulk so my knowledge of him is based solely on the cartoons and movies.

I assume we're talking Rogue, complete with Ms. Marvel's abilities? Without the flight and super-strength, I see her getting squished far too easily. With those abilities, I could see her getting up close and actually surviving long enough to touch him. However, once she started absorbing his abilities, she'd probably quickly lose control, being overwhelmed by Hulk's aggression. I don't think she'd have the presence of mind to continue her absorption. She'd release him and go on a Rogue/Hulk rampage. They might have a massive fight at that point (since I'm not sure she could knock him out with her powers, like she would normally do). In a pure rage-fest, Hulk has the advantage from how I understand his abilities.

Rogue's one of my favorite characters, so it pains me to admit this but I do believe Hulk would win.

This post reminded me of something I pondered years ago: What would happen to Rogue if she absorbed a werewolf? Of course, a lot of that would depend on how you view werewolves, if they can control their change and their other selves. But it raised some interesting thoughts.
Hmm, well in Marvel, most werewolves are mystical-based, and I don't think Rogue can absorb magic.
I was thinking more traditional werewolves, not continuity specific. It was one of those random thoughts that just popped into my head.
Traditional werewolves *are* mystical-based.
I think if the Hulk smashed her skull in real quick, she wouldn't have enough time to reap the benefits of her powers...
and I don't think the Hulk has regenerative abilities... just not-getting-hurt-in-the-first-place abilities?
Actually, he does. In one story, X-23 gauged his eyes out and he regrew them.
Well, I'll be!
I think there is a limit in rogue's power as shown when she used it on Ares.
I don't like Hulk very much since he generates so much PIS, so I'm going to hate myself to writing this post. Rogue doesn't stand much of a chance against Hulk in a fair fight. Keep in mind that this post is based off of the premise that the two combatants are standing face to face at a reasonable distance from each other where no sucker punches can be thrown.

Hulk is roughly 7'8" weighing at 1,040-1,400 lbs. Rogue is roughly 5'8" at 120 lbs (at base level). At base level, Hulk is already in the 100+ ton class in terms of physical strength as opposed to base level Rogue who is at above average female human strength. In order for Rogue to make the playing field even, she has to make physical contact with Hulk (to get his powers) and then utilize them to match his own strength/speed/durability levels. Hulk has consistently shown to have the means of dealing *somewhat* ranged attacks: thunderclap, quake, and other stereotypical strength feats. Both characters have already faced each other in the past, so both are aware of each others' abilities. Hulk should be aware and intuitive enough to kill her before she reaches him, or at the very least injure/immobilize her before she comes into range.

For the sake of argument, let's assume that Hulk doesn't do the smart thing and Rogue manages to get close. The 7'8" fighter is going to have an incredible advantage in striking distance than a 5'8" fighter. Does the video game cliche "big, tall fighter moves slow and small, short fighter moves quick" apply here? Unfortunately, it doesn't because with superhuman strength comes superhuman speed and reflexes. Hulk is capable of striking Rogue at faster speeds than her mind is capable of registering. It's like Batman trying to evade Superman's punches in a full, blood-lusted fight. It's just not feasible. On the other hand, Hulk's fist is rather large and most likely it will make contact with Rogue's face (which is rarely covered). Rogue may be able to absorb Hulk's power from that touch, but it'll probably be too late as her brain (and the rest of her body) would be smeared across the pavement... or building wall... or some other state in the US... or all of the above.

Again, for the sake of argument, let us assume that Rogue manages to grab hold of the Hulk before he kills her. She essentially becomes She-Hulk (no, the gamma radiation won't kill her since she's absorbed Hulk's power before) and is thrown into the 100-ton strength class with the ability to move just as fast as her victim. At this stage, Rogue would be along the lines of base-level She-Hulk. Hulk would be enraged (actually, he was probably enraged by the time the distance was closed between them). Thus, the strength/speed/durability advantages still favor Hulk in this set-up. Well, you may ask: "I thought Rogue's victims are supposed to be drained? Actually, power-drained victims in comic books are generally knocked out at this point!". Wrong, because Hulk is a walking plot device who has too many showing of resisting power-drains to be ignored in battles like this one. So, what happens to Hulk exactly? His powers are fueled by rage, so as long as he is angry he'll have powers. Ergo, Hulk's powers are *theoretically* infinite in a fight. In every instance of some outer space evil-doer trying to sap Hulk's powers, the green guy manages to get back up and beat the bad guy to a bloody pulp. Therefore, even if Rogue steal's Hulk's powers, we'll still be looking at She-Hulk-Rogue vs. Enraged Hulk. If you look at every single instance where Hulk fights She-Hulk, you'll understand that Hulk inevitably wins this match-up. Off the top of my head, the only time Hulk didn't beat She-Hulk was in the Ultimate Universe where Betty was She-Hulk and that fight quickly ended up as violent sex. If that were to happen here, Hulk still wins because of social standards. Everyone will high-five Hulk for being able to have sex with Rogue, while the X-Men will laugh and demean Rogue for having sex with Hulk.

Anyways, that's going too far. The point stands that Rogue loses to Hulk in a fair fight. The only times she has ever beaten Hulk were when she had a small army of allies to help ambush him. The only way I can see Hulk losing in a 1 vs. 1 encounter is if he jobbers really, really hard... and the writer is a Rogue fan.