Is Disney the best thing that has happened to Marvel?

I need your opinion if it is.

Makes sense for Warner doing DC.
Comments35
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
right now: yes.

In the future: will see....
the only thing I see limiting about it, is that Sony own the film franchise for Spiderman, Disney now own the Marvel film franchise... Will we ever see Spiderman in an Avengers movie????

I doubt it.
I think Sony still owns the rights to make Spider-Man films just as Fox owns the rights to make Fantastic Four and X-Men films. All the deals that Marvel made before the merger are still valid unless Disney buys the rights back. Eventually the rights will revert back to Marvel and Disney.
I think that Disney will provide a huge financial backing for Marvel. It will also make it easier for Disney to launch their own titles through Marvel, rather than licensing them to other companies. However, it seems like Marvel's release schedule has become a lot more inconsistent since they became a part of Disney and the paper quality of their new issues has certainly declined in comparison to other publishers.
It gives Marvel a huge backing in terms of funds, Disney is already promoting Marvel characters and products at Disneyland and on their channels, and Disney hasn't really stuck their controlling hands into the creative teams behind the comics to bend them to any forced regulations. It's been the best thing for them period. Marvel has hit so many hard times over the years regarding money, it really has done them good.

The only thing that bothered my about the acquisition is that Book Studios had some Disney Liscenes and were making amazing all ages comics of Incredibles, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, and some others that aren't coming to mind at the moment. As a crusader for more all ages comics, this was really awesome. But when Disney acquired Marvel, they ceased the liscense with Boom. I would have expected them to start picking up where Boom left off, or even getting even deeper with Mickey adventure comics (a la Floyd Gottfredson) and other stuff. I used to be a huge Doug fan, and the cartoon is owned by Disney. I could see a Doug comic in the spirit of Archie, but better. But Disney has made no effort as far as I know with making any Disney comics yet through Marvvel. It really kills me because the potential is there.
In modern day, I would definitely say so. Disney has done such a fantastic job with producing all of the recent movies that it's expanded interest in comic books as a whole and brought more cultural attention to them, and not just for Marvel. At the very least, it was a huge financial success for Marvel.
Not the best thing, but by no means a bad thing either. Disney has been content to step back and let Marvel continue to do their thing, just with added budget to the movies from Disney. But the movies aren't the be-all end-all of the property. The comics are still around, and those don't necessarily need bigger budgets to wow us.
Disney is always fun for the kiddies.
Who'd love to see Marvel do Disney comics even Incredibles comics? that would be fantastic even for Disney afternoon properties back in comics.

I'd love to see an X-Men/Incredibles crossover comic or Gargoyles/Spider-Man crossover. Hell even a Rocket Raccoon/Rescue Rangers crossover would be fun.
The Disney Afternoon cartoons did have a run with an Incredibles comic through Boom Studios for some time before Marvel was acquired by Dismey, then they discontinued the line. I imagine because they didn't need to print a comic through another company anymore. Not sure why Disney has yet to continue making these comics under the Marvel banner though. The Incredibles, Darkwing Duck, and Rescue Rangers were all really great comics that held onto that cartoon vibe. I really loved them, glad I have them in trade.
Best thing that could happen to Marvel, period. Disney dumped a million dollars into buying Crossgen Comics when they went bankrupt because of concern that there might be an infringement issue with one of their characters. They won't bat an eye if Marvel has a movie tank, or comic sales get even worse. They'll make a set of limited edition underoos with spiderman and make back every penny in a week.

Marvel will join the Muppets as a permenant fixture at Disney World, and all will be just fine in the nerd-verse.
It does mean they have a much bigger buffer funding-wise. I dunno why people are convinced Disney is going to sanitize Marvel - they didn't purchase the company to make it morally safe, they purchased it to make money.
I'm still seeing ultra-violent titles on the comic store shelves, and these are from the same people.
Exactly, Disney's not going to alienate the whole fuckin' userbase.
Now, to be fair, I don't think the fanbase does a whole lot of fucking. :P
in my book, no I think Disney is not the best choice/direction for marvel. Yes some of the marvel films/comics in the past haven't been great, but their are several Marvel titles that won't get the darker, grittier feel that they deserve unless they are licensed to a different company (e.g. Spider man is licensed by Sony, X-men by 20th Century Fox)

Think about the Thor movie. Yeah it was ok, but good it have been better? OH yeah. especially with the source material, even before he comics were made.

Oddly enough, since the movement with Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, everything is getting the darker-grittier-a-little-more-realistic approach. Disney really want be doing that with marvel. Iron Man was a big step forward, but I feel the mavel/disney universe is going to lighten up everything so it can appeal to the masses. It's all about money. More people will see a PG-13 movie more so than one with an R rating. Because most people want something in the superhero market that everyone can see.

Think about Watchmen. Great comic and movie. Twisted as hell and even progressive for when it was first released in the 80s. It set a new standard and exploited the fundamental of how we perceive the superhero medium. When the movie came out, it was a mix of reviews. Some loved it for what it was, some hated for it could of been; even others despised it for making to adult. This complaint were usually from the parents who didn't know anything about it

I remember hearing people talking about it negatively when it came out, I was at work hearing these people going, "I thought it was going to be like Spider-man?!" yeah so even though it was great when bringing up so many good psychological topics regarding morality, sociology etc. it lost it's appeal through the masses. I feel that Disney's involvment with marvel will cause a lot of missed opportunities. So no, not the best thing to happen to Marvel. Rant over. lol
The thing is, Watchmen was a singular, one-note story. Its flaws weren't that it was too dark or gritty, but that it had to supercompress a dense story into a short amount of time.

The Marvel movies aren't straight adaptations. And aside from obvious characters like Punisher and Ghost Rider, many are versatile in the types of stories that can be told about them. In the comics, Iron Man can be going through some dark and gritty alcohol issues, while in the next title over have a fairly light-hearted and straight-up adventure story. Most of the Marvel Studios movies have hardly "declawed" their characters, they've just chosen to focus on the more family-friendly stories. Granted, at this point we're not likely to see  "Demon in a Bottle" adapted to the big screen, but that doesn't mean the Iron Man movies we do get won't be good.

Yes, it's all about money, but so are the comics. You're acting like Marvel comics have some kind of artistic integrity that's being sold out when that is not the case. Watchmen? Sure. Characters who have had ongoing titles for decades, ever-evolving, gimmicky and sometimes downright rotten stories? Nope.
This. Excellent point about Watchmen. I knew a lot of people going into it thinking that it was going to be an action-packed superhero movie. Of course, these people never actually read the graphic novel and didn't realize that action and violence make up a VERY small portion of the story. Oh, and the actually mature topics? Right over many peoples' heads.
yeah totally. I know what you mean. It seemed too that many people were so worried over the violence, the profanity and sexuality. But even if they missed the mark by reflecting on those topics instead of the underlining meanings, then they did what many of the "protagonists" do in watchmen, giving more social examples depicted in the novel/film. :)
Yup. On a side note, I still shake my head when I overhear someone talking about the movie and all they can talk about it Dr. Manhattan's dick.
I have never heard of Disney and Marvel ever being in the same sentence together and being serious. I had no idea they were even affiliated... I tend to think of the as seperate entities permanently...

:?
Really? It was pretty big news when Disney bought Marvel.