Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
February 7, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 34

Is Disney the best thing that has happened to Marvel?

:iconcyrusgrissom:
CyrusGrissom Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013
I need your opinion if it is.

Makes sense for Warner doing DC.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmanurao:
ManuRao Featured By Owner Mar 5, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
right now: yes.

In the future: will see....
:iconclusy:
clusy Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013
the only thing I see limiting about it, is that Sony own the film franchise for Spiderman, Disney now own the Marvel film franchise... Will we ever see Spiderman in an Avengers movie????

I doubt it.
:iconjesseallshouse:
JesseAllshouse Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013
I think Sony still owns the rights to make Spider-Man films just as Fox owns the rights to make Fantastic Four and X-Men films. All the deals that Marvel made before the merger are still valid unless Disney buys the rights back. Eventually the rights will revert back to Marvel and Disney.
:iconimperius-rex:
Imperius-Rex Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I think that Disney will provide a huge financial backing for Marvel. It will also make it easier for Disney to launch their own titles through Marvel, rather than licensing them to other companies. However, it seems like Marvel's release schedule has become a lot more inconsistent since they became a part of Disney and the paper quality of their new issues has certainly declined in comparison to other publishers.
:iconjesseacosta:
JesseAcosta Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Professional General Artist
It gives Marvel a huge backing in terms of funds, Disney is already promoting Marvel characters and products at Disneyland and on their channels, and Disney hasn't really stuck their controlling hands into the creative teams behind the comics to bend them to any forced regulations. It's been the best thing for them period. Marvel has hit so many hard times over the years regarding money, it really has done them good.

The only thing that bothered my about the acquisition is that Book Studios had some Disney Liscenes and were making amazing all ages comics of Incredibles, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, and some others that aren't coming to mind at the moment. As a crusader for more all ages comics, this was really awesome. But when Disney acquired Marvel, they ceased the liscense with Boom. I would have expected them to start picking up where Boom left off, or even getting even deeper with Mickey adventure comics (a la Floyd Gottfredson) and other stuff. I used to be a huge Doug fan, and the cartoon is owned by Disney. I could see a Doug comic in the spirit of Archie, but better. But Disney has made no effort as far as I know with making any Disney comics yet through Marvvel. It really kills me because the potential is there.
:iconawsomniac:
awsomniac Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Student General Artist
In modern day, I would definitely say so. Disney has done such a fantastic job with producing all of the recent movies that it's expanded interest in comic books as a whole and brought more cultural attention to them, and not just for Marvel. At the very least, it was a huge financial success for Marvel.
:iconjzlobo:
JZLobo Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Not the best thing, but by no means a bad thing either. Disney has been content to step back and let Marvel continue to do their thing, just with added budget to the movies from Disney. But the movies aren't the be-all end-all of the property. The comics are still around, and those don't necessarily need bigger budgets to wow us.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Disney is always fun for the kiddies.
:iconcyrusgrissom:
CyrusGrissom Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
Who'd love to see Marvel do Disney comics even Incredibles comics? that would be fantastic even for Disney afternoon properties back in comics.

I'd love to see an X-Men/Incredibles crossover comic or Gargoyles/Spider-Man crossover. Hell even a Rocket Raccoon/Rescue Rangers crossover would be fun.
:iconjesseacosta:
JesseAcosta Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Professional General Artist
The Disney Afternoon cartoons did have a run with an Incredibles comic through Boom Studios for some time before Marvel was acquired by Dismey, then they discontinued the line. I imagine because they didn't need to print a comic through another company anymore. Not sure why Disney has yet to continue making these comics under the Marvel banner though. The Incredibles, Darkwing Duck, and Rescue Rangers were all really great comics that held onto that cartoon vibe. I really loved them, glad I have them in trade.
Add a Comment: