Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
February 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

Does anyone know what these two books are?

:iconwierdmonkeyperson:
wierdmonkeyperson Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
So this is a bit of a long post, but I'm hoping someone can help me find at least one of these books, since I've had absolutely no luck. Both of these books were read about 4 years ago, so they couldn't have been published after 2007, if that helps.

First Book:

At first I thought this might have been a Stephen King book, but I went through all of his books, novellas and short stories and it wasn't one of them. Its very King style though. The plot follows a teenaged or young woman, who works at a video (or video game) store that has a large statue of a character from a game/movie out front. Prior to the story, this girl's mother was murdered by a robber who was caught on camera when he came into the store that she worked at and shot her, however he was never caught. The girl is seemingly obsessed with this video, and notices a unique tattoo on the murderer's arm. Around this time she starts to have dreams about the statue in front of the store, which I think was about it chasing her, but I'm a little fuzzy on the details there. Eventually she goes to a tattoo artist (I'm thinking she lives in a small town because there would be no way she'd be able to do this if there were many artists in the town) and shows him a picture of the tattoo of her mother's killer. He tells her that he removed a tattoo just like that several years ago, and that it had belonged to a man who was now a popular news host that she would see almost every day on the tv. My memories are pretty muddled past this point, however I believe that she confronts this man, and he ends up chasing her through the store she works at with a gun, and she is saved by the statue which comes to life. I think. That's about all I remember, but I do know that the bad guy loses.

The second story I remember less of, but its definitely more unique so hopefully someone will recognize it. It covers two points of view; one of a child (I can't remember the gender) who lives in a medieval-esque town next to a wall, which has many rumors about what is on the other side of the wall. I don't remember much of what happens in this side of the story, but eventually the child somehow ends up on the other side of the wall and a lot of bad s**t happens. The other part of the story is about a girl who is stuck in a tower and doesn't know why, with only an old person in a cloak coming in each day to bring her food. Eventually she finds a tiny dragon on the windowsill of her tower, who she feeds a special rock she found in the stones that made up her walls, and eventually starts giving him food. At the same time she starts to grow wings from her back. After a period of time she overpowers the person who is guarding her and escapes, and eventually it is revealed that she is some sort of queen, and the story ends with her being carried through the town on the other side of the wall and being taken to a castle.

I've searched pretty extensively for these stories online, but without much luck, so I'm hoping someone has or has read the book and can at least help me fill in the blanks and make it easier for me to find. Thanks!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

wierdmonkeyperson Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
EDIT: The first book has been found via other website. It was Crusader by Edward Bloor. Still looking for the second one though.
:iconpasiphilo:
Pasiphilo Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Professional General Artist
I've never read either, but the second book sounds like the kind of story Neil Gaiman would write. A long shot, I know. :shrug:
Another person thought it was Stardust, but it definitely wasn't. Similar style, but I just checked all of his books and it wasn't. Thank you very much for the suggestion though.
Pasiphilo Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Professional General Artist
No worries and good luck with your search. It sounds like you already have, but if you haven't read Stardust and want a good read, that's definitely one to put on your list. Cheers. :)
I actually have (I watched the movie first though, oops). Which is why when someone thought it was I immediately knew it wasn't. I'll keep looking.
Pasiphilo Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Professional General Artist
I felt the movie Hollywood-ized and Disney-fied the story beyond recognition. Thus, I hated the movie.
wierdmonkeyperson Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I liked them for different reasons. I liked the more comedic aspect that the movie added, which definitely made it more for children then the book had, but as is with quite a few movie adaptations, I look at them as too separate things.
Pasiphilo Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Professional General Artist
Oh, I agree that because books and movies are experienced differently, they have to be evaluated differently. I'm just not a fan of predictable Hollywood formula plots that cater to a mass audience. I prefer stories - in print or on screen - that are as nuanced, quirky and original as Neil Gaiman's writing always is. It's probably why I'm drawn to "foreign" and "indie" films, since they tend to care more about the art of storytelling and less about the business of selling movie tickets. Which isn't to say I hate all Hollywood blockbusters - I loved Avengers - but I'm far less wowed by the Hollywood glitz.
wierdmonkeyperson Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Yeah I definitely agree with you, though like with the Avengers I get some of the hollywood films as well. I'm not much of a movie watcher in general though so I don't get to experience quite as many different kinds of film.
Add a Comment: