Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
February 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

Anyone know any good reference books for fantasy things/creatures?

:iconclharley:
CLHarley Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist
Hey, I am looking for a book with pictures if possible which tells you about lots of fantasy creatures, can you recommend me one please? Thanks

I plan on using it to come up with my own comic, so am looking for ideas on races, and other things magical for inspiration.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconthenimster:
TheNimster Feb 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
The Witcher series. You can download the amazingly well done fan translations at
[link]

Read through the books. Playing the games that were made by the books can increase you monster base vastly as they use many fantasy creatures from Slavic mythology and some of their own.
:icongrendalunleashed:
GrendalUnleashed Feb 4, 2013  Professional General Artist
The most memorable designs for mythos creatures come from an understanding of the creatures anatomy. Once you have the musculo-skelatal structure nailed down it imbues the image with a depth of life on the page/screen. There are plenty of 'monsters' in prehistory (the Devonian period has some nasty looking examples) to use as a starting point, for a recent piece of artwork featuring a 'hunting horror' I began with fossils of the Dunkleosteus fused it with the Coelacanth and 'evolved' the end result by a few million years into a land creature. As has been mentioned before googling the base form of the creature I was looking for produced enough reference images and video for the final artwork.
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
...I imagine Google could provide just as much info, if not more than a book.
:iconnenril-tf:
Nenril-Tf Feb 2, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
take the books of the monsters of D&D
CLHarley Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist
Thanks for the advice, I have read a couple of d&d comics they are really good.
:iconnenril-tf:
Nenril-Tf Feb 2, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
it's nothing :)
:iconshininginthedarkness:
Book of Imaginary Beings, by Jorge Borges :meow:
(you're unlikely to find it in a library, but it's pretty cheap on Amazon.)
Thank you, yes i have found it on amazon, i plan to buy on amazon anyway so thanks.
:iconlupina24:
Lupina24 Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
The Mythical Creature's Bible by Brenda Rosen is pretty good with both illustrations and text

Most of Katherine Brigg's books are well researched but very word heavy

The Mythic Bestiary by Tony Allan has a combination of illustrations and informative text
Thanks very much, I have checked out all of the ones you suggested, i like the first one it may be the one : )
Add a Comment: