Closed to new replies
January 31, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 32

What's so great about Lovecraft?

:iconkayanne21:
kayanne21 Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
The word, "Lovecraftian horror" is a description that I hear quite a lot and until recently, I really had no idea what it actually meant. I know it's a reference to H.P Lovecraft who if I've heard right is the creator to a lot of cosmic power, indescribable terror kind of stuff...Yeah. I know that was a really crap description but that's honestly my level of understanding. Everyone I've asked can't seem to give me a strait answer which makes sense considering it's supposed to be indescribable... But anyway I figure it's probably something I have to check out for myself.
So for someone that's never read a Lovecraft story in her life... What story/book do you think I should start with.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondr-paine:
Dr-Paine Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013
You can find a lot of his work online, actually-- just about all of them are public domain.

My favorites are The White Ship, Nyarlathotep, The Quest of Iranon, and The Nameless City. The Outsider and The Cats of Ulthar are also good.

[link] Here's a site to start with ^^
kayanne21 Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh. Sweet. Thanks for that. ^_^
:icondr-paine:
Dr-Paine Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013
No problem ^^
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I love his work for the unconventional monsters (and general villains) that developed into their own mythos, his choices of adjectives, and how he writes a first-person narrative and epistolary stories.

I LOATHE his racism and xenophobia, however.
:iconwatercorey:
WaterCorey Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Start perhaps with Pickman's Model, it's one of his shortest pieces that can be considered GREAT, it was the one that hooked me. From there do what others suggest and read Mountains of Madness, Call of Cthulhu, Dunwich Horror, and the Colour out of Space. And don't listen to the people saying he's an over rated racist, the racism part maybe true but don't let that influence your feelings toward his work.
kayanne21 Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks you for the suggestion.
And don't worry. I don't normally avoid things that people say are overrated. That's normally an incentive if anything because I normally find that 9 times out of 10 there's a damn good reason why. XD
The racist stuff is surprising but sometimes I think you just have to accept something as a product of its time. Dickens is a good example of that...
:iconcindertwig:
Cindertwig Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
I agree if we judged somones work based on the type of person the artist is then I would have to dismiss a lot of fantastic art.
:iconcindertwig:
Cindertwig Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013
Well they are pretty nice horror stories that a lot of other people have been inspired by. It also helps that you can use his stuff however you want without getting sued.
:iconludwigvankickass2:
LudwigvanKickass2 Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
To answer the title question, he is a master of Cosmic Horror. I personally don't like the overtly racist plots or his overtly racist message, but whatevs.
:iconkythkyn:
Kythkyn Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Student Writer
Start here: [link]
Add a Comment: