Closed to new replies
January 21, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 39
:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Hey guys!

I'm a bit iffy on the placement here, but this is really a question for people who enjoy reading so I'm bringing the discussion here rather than the general nerdiness forum.

Do you use eReaders or do you need a physical book?

I was very stubborn when eReaders came out. Hated them. But I tried one on my iPhone and fell in love, so I finally caved in and bought the Kobo eReader.

I still really do love the handheld eInk but the technology is so slow and glitchy, I'm not too pleased with the Kobo itself. I was wondering what eReaders those of you who do own them use and your personal review?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconaret:
Aret Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Kobo is pretty ass. I do like e-ink, true, but the refresh rate is painful. I've heard wonderful things about the Kindle and also the variety of Sony ereaders but haven't had the fortune to try either.

Originally I never was going to use one, but my parents got me a Kobo for christmas, and I immediately fell in love with one thing physical books do not have: convenience. If I have one chapter left to go and finish it on the bus, i'm hooped for the rest of the day with a physical book unless I want to carry around a few, and they're bulky. Ebooks, I can carry my entire library with me and the size and weight stays the same, and I can change my mind if I wanna read something else. Also, the drop in price is a nice bonus. An ebook costs half what a physical book does. I admit that being tied to battery life kinda sucks, but batteries get better and more long lasting all the time.

After reading a lot on my laptop, i've decided personally that I prefer reading on my tablet (not the art kind) than an actual e-reader. I like the larger screen and the backlighting for times when its dim or when i'm waiting for the bus at night. E-ink is really neat, but its not quite there yet.
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
I, too, used to be in the "I'll never get an e-reader" boat. Then I actually tried reading a book on a friend of mine's and was instantly hooked. Ended up getting a Nook Tablet for Christmas and I absolutely love it. I live at a university right now so I don't have space for books, and it's super convenient to be able to read something that is backlit (reading a real book in bed is horrible because the lighting in my room sucks). And my ereader has an internet browser and Netflix, so there's really nothing to not love about it.
:iconcosmicspider:
cosmicspider Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
I used to be really against them myself, and I still don't own one, but more and more I see their appeal. I love reading, and books, but man... those suckers take up a lot of damn space. And they kill trees. (Not that the making of e-readers is any less bad for the environment but you know) I just wish I knew more about technology in general to be able to help :lol:
:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
The books above my bed will literally be the death of me, if ever my father's shelving collapsed on me. Every time he sees it open he groans about how I better hope he built it right. It really would likely be fatal if it crashed down onto my head, but even with the eReader I can't stop buying because even if I don't get novels, I still love elegant coffee table books, special editions of my favorite books and I find art teaching books would be useless digitally.

I wish they had more stats. I mostly love it for the reading stats, being able to see a clean clear list of what I've read, how long it takes me, my notes and highlights, etc. etc. They're constantly improving the social integrating but I wish it was even greater.
:iconcosmicspider:
cosmicspider Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013
Yeah, I have quite a few coffee table books... and yet now that I think of it, they never sit on the table and are shelved with the rest. I'm just not a fan of clutter so their purpose is at odds with my taste XD Shelfari is kind of like a digital library of your own that you can list what you're reading and what you've read etc but I don't know if they have actual stats.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
They're fucking sweet. (I have a Kindle Keyboard.)

However, I think high fantasy is better in physical copies because I generally skip chunks on the reread, and that's harder to do on an e-reader.
:iconmr-timeshadow:
Mr-Timeshadow Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
I have no plans to ever touch these pathetic things. Sure, there's a benefit to reading a huge book without it straining the hands (some I've read have been physically exhausting!), but there are a few problems:
1) When the power died after the hurricane, the ereader would have needed power eventually, and I had no way to do that. My print books didn't need charging all ten days I was removed from the world.
2) You heard about Moby Dick? A lot of customers suddenly found their purchase of that novel deleted because of a dispute among corporations. It's not teh last time that happened.
3) Even worse, Amazon has, on quite a few occasions, closed accounts, saying customers had violated their "terms of service" -- but they refused to offer an explanation, or restore service. Poof went the money, and the ereaders became very expensive paperweights.
4) Sure, the books tend to be cheaper, but the readers cost so damn much that you have to buy a ton of books to make up for the initial expense.
:iconi-stamp:
i-stamp Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
1. My kindle only needs to be charged once a month. And I have a battery operated emergency charger, which would give me enough juice for several months.
2. Never had anything deleted from my account. And even if it did, I keep a storage of my books off my cloud and on my hard drive. Which they couldn't remove.
3. Again, even if my account were closed, my books are all on my hard drive. I don't need my account to be linked to use my e-reader. In fact the vast majority of my books are from free websites and even a few converted other file types.
4. I have around 2,000 books on my e-reader so...
:iconmr-timeshadow:
Mr-Timeshadow Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
You got lucky then. Not everyone has done that, but more than a mere handful have threatened a lawsuit over Amazon's bizarre behavior.
Don't some of the companies prevent downloads from the device? Then again, you did say you get them from free sites. That's appealing. Does Amazon allow that, or is that what makes them lock your device? The victims found a yellow bar across the reader so NO files could be read.
:iconi-stamp:
i-stamp Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
They should. Backing up your files and not trusting cloud storage is like e-commerce 101.

The free files I got were from legit sources, like The World Library. A lot of free books come off amazon itself, too. And yeah, if you don't mind pirating, then you can get even more free books that way. If you're paranoid about amazon flagging your account, then don't turn on your wi-fi or 3G and only order or download files to your PC, then move them manually onto the device.
I've never heard of Amazon being able to lock the e-reader down though (though maybe that's a new feature. Kindle DX is a couple generations old now.) And any DRM on files can be broken by converting it to a different file type and then back. (Same with Kobo files.)
Add a Comment: