Rob Liefield: your thoughts?

I don't know how that guy was able to work along side guys like Jim lee and Todd Mcfarlane...
Comments25
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I don't understand why people are still paying him to do things. >_>
Considering he abused his situation at Image and his personality issues were the reason why Top Cow left Image for a time....I'm pretty sure he's a flake.

His art has always been terrible and he was caught stealing art by Peter David.
I know he ripped off Ditko and a GI Joe cover, probably by Golden.

He had to stop production of his Knightmare comic because he swiped it from Bryan Glass.

His books at Image/Maximum/Awesome always had terrible storylines devoid of plots. No backgrounds. Shipped late all the time.

Rob got in with his gimmick artwork and he stayed in the business way too long.

Rob Leftfield is a perfect example of what can go wrong in comics and how some people/fans have no real taste and will buy anything flashy.
been there, done that
I think Rob is more of a situation than a person. He came along, he was FOUND, when comics were hitting some rough sales and the publishing companies saw a quick and easy way to make comics seem totally different than what they had been. "THESE ARE XTREME COMICS OF BLOOD!" is what was screamed and when I was 10-14 that seemed totally freaking awesome compared to what I'd seen before so I spent all my milk money on it.

I just wanted to see x-men do x-things.

I can look back now and go wow "his swords don't really meat the handles..." and say he was horrible but he just has a quick style, he doesn't give a crap about it, he just cranks it out and then he goes and eats a sandwich or something.

Why am I coming to the defense of Rob? Because we all secretly know how hard it is to draw knees and we are jealous that he found a shortcut and cashed in big with it.
Rob's cool. He's a cool comicbook artist. He does exactly what he's meant to do, make comics EXXXTREME!

Seriously, I don't read comics for reality. I read them for the improbable to the impossible. i wanna see bombastic musculature, insane boobage and explosive action. And he delivers.
Not as bad as they make him out to be.

He's no Jim Lee but his artwork got really good from 2001 onwards.
I don't hate the guy, but I reeeaallly don't like his art. You'd think he'd get better seeing how long he's worked in the comics industry, but oh well *shrug*.
From a huge comic book fan and comic book artist, I don't really hate Rob Liefeld but instead I feel very bad for him. I sort of see him as the Lil Wayne of comic books. I say this because, though his art is incredibly horrible no matter how many ways you look at it, he was possibly one of the most famous person in the comic book business who had both DC and Marvel speed dialing him. The thing about that is that he was the most famous in what is considered the worst period in comic book history which is seen by many comic bok fans as the Dark Age of Comic Books.

Now, during that time, impossibly huge muscles and idiotic stories that could make scholars and retards come together in unison were the norm back then and I'm pretty sure Liefeld was considered a god. Unfortunately, like Lil Wayne, people woke up and realized that the man some people deemed a genius was really a guy who never read an art book or went to an art class in his life or at least learn from the true professionals he was constantly surrounded by.

Again, I don't hate the guy. I just really really feel bad for him.
Mr. Price, in consideration of your heinous crimes, you will be punished. Chose one. Read Liefields collected works...or...spit shine an alligators asshole while trapped in a phonebooth...or...be attached to the tailpipe of a diesel VW at the mouth and drug over a field of prickley pear cactus.

Damn...what was that second one again?

Thank you, Mr. White, wherever you are.

And Jesse, there's always room to mock someone on the internet.
The guy makes more money than I do in art, so I don't have room to mock him.
no amount of money could ever compare to a job well done...
And I imagine he has done well enough for his family.
I'm with you man. He's a professional comic book artist. Commercial art. He's meant to get paid for a living. He's not a fine artist. And he made more than enough.
I watch artists here on DA that are like 1000% better than him.
My general opinion :puke: (I don't know how to draw humans but I wouldn't dare to publish a comic and call it something with my awful anatomy, he does so and he is even proud of it, that just want to make you puke...)
He's a joke. His artwork is hilariously godawful.
I don't like his face.
Because he made a reputation for himself in the XTREEM 90s when his shitty lack of anatomy was harder to call out in the mish mash of over the top exxagerated character designs. Once he started that argument with Snyder it was all over.
What argument?
He got into a massive bitch fest on twitter against Scott Snyder about something that cultimated in Liefeld declaring he'd never work for DC again.
I think we won something there.
I remember hearing something about that. I heard snyder said something that made him quit. That man should be praised.
He referred to Snyder as a "Pretentious prick" and it all went downhill from there.
Lucky for mainstream comics though.
Hmm... I'm going to find those post. They might be worth keeping.
Liefield has called people names before but to do that and then say he's leaving DC is the biggest dick move in comics.