Closed to new replies
January 16, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 14

Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men

:iconjzlobo:
JZLobo Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I was fanficing today based off these comics just wondering how many people here have read his run on the X-Men and what their thoughts were.

I love how he set Cyclops on the road to badassery, although subsequent writers went and took it too far. The first two arcs, Gifted and Danger, were phenominal. I didn't care for Hellfire, but Breakworld was great (though the "giant space bullet" thing was stupid even for modern comics).

One of my favorite elements in his run was giving Beast a girlfriend again. The big blue fuzzy needs love, even if you-know-who seemed like an unorthodox choice. And of course, in typical Whedon fashion, he took two on-again off-again lovers, finally hooked them up, and then shot one of them into space. Oy.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconunderbase:
I guess I'll have to check this series out then.
But on a similar note, would you like to share your opinion of the Avengers-vs-X-men (a comic I have read)?
JZLobo Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Not unless you're willing to listen to some angry ranting.
Dude, your angry rants are witty and hilarious.
I dare you.
JZLobo Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Well okay, don't say I didn't warn you.

I didn't even bother reading it because the very concept of it was contrived and stupid. So the Avengers and X-Men can't agree whose "jurisdiction" a problem is. Since when do superheroes have jurisdictions? They ave always worked together in the past.

Speaking of working together, the Marvel superhero era is supposed to be, what, a decade in-universe time? The Avengers and the X-Men have known each other and worked closely since around Secret War. They know each other, trust each other, and SHOULD respect each other by now to know that both sides could handle the return of the Phoenix.

Instead of teaming up for the greater good like they have ALWAYS done in the past, the teams come to blows over what turns into a huge superhero dick-measuring fest that should never have happened in the first place.

Not to mention the HUGE character derailment of Cyclops, having him issue ultimatums to the Avengers and threatening to murder Scarlette Witch if he's not aloud to put her on trial "on behalf of all mutantdom."

ARGH
Yeah that pretty much sums up my feelings too.
It was pretty and colorful and entertaining, but the whole scenario with Scott and Cap' arguing it's just-...
what
even
Do I even know these people?
Literally, the best part is the bonus comics at the end of the compilation book:
there's a great splash page of all the scientists-guys, like Ant-man and Beast (Dr. Hank 'n' the other Dr. Hank), arguing about corollaries and polar graphs.
And then there's this rediculous page-long comic which is as if you took the first verbal confrontation between Captain America and Cyclops and let me write it. I was giggling like an idiot.
JZLobo Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I couldn't be entertained by something so intrinsically faulty.
I have pretty low standards. :P
JZLobo Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I hope just for your entertainment.
:iconkythkyn:
Kythkyn Jan 16, 2013  Student Writer
Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men is really fun. Unfortunately, once he left the book I did too, because I didn't like the direction it was taken in.
JZLobo Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Same here.
Add a Comment: