Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 14, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 5

Writing an essay about 80's england, I need books!

:iconthilu:
Thilu Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
hi!
I am currently writing a quite big academic essay, 4000 words, and I am partly analyzing the movie This Is England.
I want facts about 80's UK, skinhead subculture, white power and when that nationalism started, how the skinheads went from nice people who just wanted to accept everyone - to be related to violent racists.

So anything you can suggest I am very thankful for! Language on the books should be either english or swedish ^^

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconblastedfen:
BlastedFen Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Professional Photographer
The high tide of fascist skinheads was really 78 - '81. The Rock Against Rascism concerts (Sham 69 involvement) and anti -fascist movements such as the Anti-Nazi League bascially killed off the neo-nazi National Front. Later the acid house and rave culture supplanted the football hooliganism which fed into fascist skinhead culture and thus ended it (ecstacy fuelled love and inclusive partying). But yes skinhead does NOT equal fascist.
:iconheavenhairsixes:
HeavenhairSixes Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Sorry, that should have been Sue Townsend. My brain temporarily stopped working!

Also if you are trying to research 'how the skinheads went from nice people who just wanted to accept everyone - to be related to violent racists' you might find it is a bit more complicated!

Cartainly the early skinheads were influenced by Jamaican music and culture and were failry tolerant in many respects. But I don't think they were ever entirely cute and cuddly. I think you might find it was a working class outsider movement that was always prone to extreme politics and a certain level of violence.

Politically far-right skinheads probably only became the dominant faction during the eighties but I'm pretty sure they existed before that period. Likewise, although they aren't common anymore there are still ska-loving far-left anti-racist skinheads surviving to this day. I saw plenty when I went to see 'the Specials' not long ago.

The shift was probably a reaction to the harsh conservative politics of the time - as well as Asian immigration and mass unemployment. There was increased violence and nastiness at many levels of society - it was certainly a bleak time for football fans such as myself.
:iconheavenhairsixes:
HeavenhairSixes Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
The Adrian Mole books by Sue Townshead were the diaries of a boy who grew up in eighties England and amongst other things got involved in the skinhead movement.

I myself was born in Britain in 1975 and can remember the eighties very clearly. The Adrian Mole books were fictional and humourous but were a very accurate representation of the time.

A 1994 movie called ID might also be worth watching. It is about football hooliganism in the eighties and probably offers some interesting insights into the violence and racism of the time.
:icontheblackchriss:
TheBlackChriss Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
The movie "Billie Elliot" might give you an idea^.^

"Billie Elliot" is about a young boy which father wants him to be a boxer but instead he wants to to ballet.
It is set during the coal mining strikes in England in the 80's..
[link]

I can't remember much more of the film because it is several years since I saw it but I hope it can help you a little^.^

Btw.. Good luck with your EE (Extended Essay) :D
:iconseanw789:
seanw789 Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013   Photographer
Always good to look at the mining strikes from around 1984 ect and the affects Margret Thatcher had on the country as PM :) hope this helps a little.
Add a Comment: