January 13, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 71

A Game of Thrones

:iconmystichuntress:
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:squee:
I just finished reading the first book, A Game of Thrones. IT'S BRILLIANT!!! I haven't seen the tv series though....

I highly recommend it to anyone who loves reading fantasy and adventure. The beginning few pages are kind of confusing, owing to the vast number of characters, but after 100 or so pages, you get used to it.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontuttie:
Tuttie Featured By Owner Mar 11, 2013  Student
I read all the books and honestly, I got bored a lot. Sometimes I cheated and skipped chapters of uninteresting characters. The story just doesn't progress you know? And with the rate the author is going it seems like he's going to die before finishing the series.
:icongiuliabeck:
Giuliabeck Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Aw man, i love this series! XD It's fantastic! It's somewhat frustrating how everything seems to go wrong for everyone, but I just love how it seems all that is guiding them to their right path!

CMHirst- I saw your Daenerys! She looks gorgeous, you've got some mad pencil skills there! :D I can't think of any suggestions, but I thought I'd let you know it looks great! *thumbs up*
:iconcmhirst:
CMHirst Featured By Owner Mar 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Currently drawing game of throne characters and have drawn only the mother of dragons.... need some suggestions on who to draw next so many to choose from please give me some names and I will draw them :)
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Mar 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Tyrion!!! weeee~
:icondewi:
dewi Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013
I really enjoyed the first book. I think I made it through the second or maybe a bit farther before I gave up. The character development is really good, but it just got too "soap-opera-ish" for my tastes. additionally, I was quite surprised in myself. I'm not usually one to be turned off by sex and violence and generally consider those that are to be prudish, but these books didn't seem to sell that aspect too well. It just got to a point where gratuitous was not adequate enough to describe it in relation to the rest of the story. Though there were places where it was fully justified as a story development tool and used well.

I haven't seen the show yet, but have wanted to give it a shot. I've heard nothing but good things about it.
:iconstephie99:
Stephie99 Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I adore the novel series and haven't come across anything like it - it's on a whole other level. It encompasses so many real-world aspects of life and the mystery of something more and unworldly. I love how each book brings me closer to the characters and their developments. It's the most gripping and moving set of books I've ever had the pleasure of reading, and I think George R.R Martin must have a truly incredible sense of creativity and a vast knowledge of human psychology to have created something so beautiful.
:iconimaginative-lioness:
imaginative-lioness Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I am absolutely in love with this series, both the book series and the television series. I have never had so much love for a story before, I think it is simply George R. R. Martin's character development and unique storylines. You will love the rest of the series ♥!
:iconlaurabischoff:
laurabischoff Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
im starting the second book! i havent watched the show, so i dont know how is it, but at least the books are awesome. its sad to know that there are people who doesnt like Jon Snow. He is actually one of my favorite characters, including Daenerys and Tyrion. (sorry for my bad english)
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
It's not that I don't like Jon Snow. I've only read the first book (haven't had time to start the second) and I found his story kind of boring.
Yes, a lot of people seem to like Tyrion. He's funny :)
:iconkimvanderveeke:
kimvanderveeke Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Student Photographer
I find it difficult to like it at first. But then, when you get further you want to know what happens to that character and that character (or not.. al my favorite characters are dead.. except for 2). Currently reading a Dance with Dragons. I'm so addicted to the books! I read in the bus to school, train. Even in class when I have nothing to do.
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I haven't yet started A Clash of Kings because I've got so much homework to do >.<
I try reading in class but all my teachers tell me off. Even my English teacher.......
:iconkimvanderveeke:
kimvanderveeke Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2013  Student Photographer
Really? Even if you have nothing to do?
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
They say there's always something you can be doing.... :iconlll-plz:
:iconneonila:
Neonila Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
Why did you like it??? Honest question. I found it boring. Worst part was the jumps from one character to the other. By the time I came back to a character I didn't care if they were alive. Rectified that by reading through ALL the parts concerning each character through the book, then going back and reading the next characters story. The writing is good but the story is too slow to hold you. It's not a bad book, I loved the characters especially Arya but still I didn't buy the 3rd one.

And ... unless you enjoy the over-sexed, over-violent HBO productions stick with the book, much better characters in it.
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I agree, the book was slow to begin with. But as I continued reading, I found that I wanted to know more about some characters than others. I guess it's because some of the plots were more interesting.
For example, I couldn't wait to find out what Ned was up to, but I hate reading chapters about Jon.
I like the court intrigue - it's done better than most other books.

The switching view points really pissed me off. I'd sometimes get lost and wonder what is going on. Sometimes, different view-points would relate the same event that is happening. At other times, two separate events are happening simultaneously. It's a headache.
:iconcindertwig:
Cindertwig Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013
The books are great prepare for great many hours of reading ahead of you
[link] This is the perfect summary for the book series.
:iconwebkinzagirl:
webkinzagirl Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013
I read it because my mom didn't want me to. I really like it so far.
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
hahaha why doesn't your mum want you to read it?
:iconwebkinzagirl:
webkinzagirl Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
She still thinks I'm too "innocent" to read/watch that stuff. We saw the first episode on HBO, and she didn't expect it to be so graphic. Honestly though, I've seen/read worse. :/
:iconxcoyee:
xCoyee Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I am about 3/4ths done with the first book. I stopped for awhile because I found it quite boring. I never really have had that problem with any book I've read.
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
It gets boring because the books are so long.
:iconxcoyee:
xCoyee Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
On the contrary, I seek out the biggest books I can find. I don't like my books to end. Right now I am reading "A sword of truth - Terry Goodkind" 12 epics around 1000 pages each in that series :3.
:iconpetitehands:
PetiteHands Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I already own the 5 books. I'm on my 3rd now. Actually, I like the books better than the series.
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm still waiting for the second book >.<
Although it's only now that I realise I could check my school library -.-""" Thank you for reminding me.
:iconwhiskeybound:
Whiskeybound Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013
I first got into the show, and eventually bought the books and was hooked. I'm on A Feast for Crows, right now (Book 4), but I haven't gotten more than a quarter way in. I feel as though the fourth book just isn't as good. It's mainly my own personal opinion because it's mostly in the perspective of characters that were previously only minor character. (Sorry if I'm being so vague, I'm not trying to spoil it for anyone.) I absolutely love it, though. Arya <3
:iconjericawinters:
JericaWinters Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
I gave a away "A Storm of Swords," I couldn't get through it. Mind you, it was the only book from the series that I had.
:iconstarrypawz:
starrypawz Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm not sure on it.
I find it's an interesting setting and a pretty decent plot. But I just find it gets a little bit too 'grim, gritty and realistic' and sometimes feel like it's pushing it to ridiculous levels of it. And there's a fair bit of stuff that happens in the books/show , especially to female characters that just is really problematic and makes me feel really uncomfortable.
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I've heard about the tv series. It's not as bad in the books though - just that in order for the tv series to sell, the media decided to make it more "interesting" but in my opinion, it's disgusting.
:iconstarrypawz:
starrypawz Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah I noticed that.
At least with the books if I find something I'm uncomfortable with I can skip the section, not so much with the TV show
:iconstarlitcutesies:
StarlitCutesies Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
I LOVE these books! Actually addicted, I have a few fan arts in my gallery :3 one of my favourite characters is Sansa, although everyone seems to hate her, aha xD and I also love Tyrion, Daenerys and Jon :D I have read up to a Feast for Crows, need to read the next one!
I didn't really like Sansa very much. Seriously, why would she have a crush on Joffrey? He's such an asshole.
Tyrion was quite funny :)
I'm still waiting for the second book >.<
:iconsarlaz:
sarlaz Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Student General Artist
May I second the hate for Sansa. I felt bad for her in the beginning but I just can't understand her. Especially when she refuses to run away w/ the hound during the siege. She's long over her crush and she knows she's probably going to be killed no matter what happens but she stays?! why woman? why? If there is a reason for her to stay someone please tell me!

hehe I don't think there is any fan of GoT who doesn't like Tyrion. He's like the life of the show. I don't see it happening but if he dies I'm going to go raving nuts! ('corse I didn't see mister stark dieing either but...)
StarlitCutesies Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Aha, I forgot to mention that I don't like her in the first book ;) I think her character sees the most change out everyone. She has few illusions left after her father is killed and then she develops this inner courage to help her deal with being trapped in King's landing with Cersei. To survive she has to become detached from everyone else, I don't think people give her enough credit, haha xD
sarlaz Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Student General Artist
hmmm...I'm still not convinced but maybe she'll surprise me in the next season(I'm watching not reading) I get this weird scared feeling that she's going to become Little Fingers sex slave.
Who knows? ;) littlefinger's crush on catelyn is a bit creepy, I really hate cat. She seems so weak xD
sarlaz Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Student General Artist
No-one will disagree w/ littlefinger being a creep but I have to say I actually like Cat a little. She's a mother to the bone which makes her do somethings that aren't so smart. (like letting that lanaster twin go) If you think she's weak because of that time she refused to leave her son's bedside I will dub you a heartless person(In a nice way) What mother wouldn't be like that? Like that lady knight said she's strong but not in the normal way. The only time I hated her was when she told jon to leave the bedroom of his crippled brother.
Haha, no, if that was me I'd have stayed by Bran's bedside as well. I more dislike her in the books, her chapters are really a struggle to get through because she seems to constantly pine for her children - but it's not for this fact that I hate her, more that she chooses select children to be upset about - she hardly ever cries for Arya or little Rickon. She's a very select mother xD (btw I added you as a friend, hope you don't mind :D)
(1 Reply)
:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I highly recommend it to anyone who loves reading fantasy and adventure.

Fantasy and adventure? Bah! More like illicit sex and courtly intrigue! I wonder if you even realize how many different types of fantasy there are. There are even some books that aren't just set in Medieval Europe with all the proper nouns garbled.
:icondrachenmagier:
drachenmagier Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
There is magic and dragons. d: Especially dragons. The magic is not... flashy like in other books, you won't see flying fireballs and such stuff in that series.
Plus, the sex is kinda overpronounced in the TV-Series. No wonder, it's HBO after all.
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I know, and it doesn't matter. Not only are there thousands of other books with a Medieval European aesthetic, magic, and dragons, but you wouldn't even know Game of Thrones had the latter two from a cursory inspection. No, it's all about the sex and politics. Even if the former is exaggerated in the TV series, I have it on good authority that there is no shortage of it in the book.

My whole point is, when I see an offering as bland and boring and Game of Thrones, I am overcome with rage and frustration when we nevertheless have people propping it up as the holy-grail of fantasy. You could easily find a score of other books on the premise of "sex and political intrigue in pseudo-Medieval Europe." One thing's for damn sure, we're never going to see a TV series based off of an original, innovative work of fantasy. The Books of the Raksura by Martha Wells? Not likely!
:icondrachenmagier:
drachenmagier Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
True. They are not my favorite fantasy books either, but they are - especially to the amount of (excuse my language) poorly written bullshit that got released lately - quite good and worth the time you spend reading them. At least if you ask me.

What I will not be able to understand here is just... whenever a book like this one gets famous and a lot of fans love it... you can be sure there are people who despise it just because it's loved. Every Fandome has that. Plus, those haters rarely know the material they hate. Hence my comment about the dragons (sorry about that, I couldn't resist).

Well, I guess in any case - seen through the eyes of writer, reader, fan or hater - we should at least be happy that people read. :)

As for the Sex in the books of Game of Thrones: I find it rather refreshing that it's just there. It's not shoved into your face, with big screamingly bright arrows pointed at it, all of them saying LOOK-SEX! And it's not a taboo topic like in some other newer fantasy works. Another pluspoint is that the autor does not try to hide what they are doing by using colorful and frilly phrases (ever tried to read Anne Rice? There you get that a lot. For this I really recommend to check 50 Shades of Gray: You will laugh till you're out of air, then you'll go and burn the book).
Fantasy is an umbrella term that includes a wide range of different types of books. GoT is definitely fantasy. It doesn't have to be in a Medieval setting for it to be fantasy.
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It seems you've taken exactly the wrong impression from my post. What I was implying is that, yes, there is a vast range of different types of stories in fantasy. You, however, seemed to think Game of Thrones is fit for all readers of fantasy, when it certainly isn't. There are so many books that just rehash the same old tired Medieval Europe aesthetic that it boggles the mind how people can still stomach them. The aesthetic is so ubiquitous that I can no longer tolerate it, and I have always thought that courtly intrigue and illicit sex make for an insufferably boring story.

In other words, realize that despite Game of Thrones' current popluarity, it still appeals only to a certain niche, and there is nothing at all objectively great about it.
sarlaz Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Student General Artist
wait a min you've read the book!! YOU KNOW THINGS!! Don't say anything!! ignorance is bliss.
I HAVEN'T SAID ANYTHING YET!!!!! I think.....
I've only read the first book.. how far into the series have you gotten?
sarlaz Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Student General Artist
I watch all there is at this point of time. Can't wait for more to come out in March I think it is.
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
>.< I still haven't watched any yet. Can't use youtube (bad internet) and can't get ahold of dvd >.<
sarlaz Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Student General Artist
If you use google right you can find it in other places aside from youtube. If you just plain have a bad internet connection I can't help much. But watch it! Its like a sexier/dirtier version of Lord of the Rings or something. Truly awesome!
sarlaz Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Student General Artist
Wow a lot of haters of GoT.=( I personally loved it. of course I only watched the show so far but jon snow didn't that bad to me. (kind hot actually but...) he might have been a bit whinny in the beginning but I get the feeling that the wall has fix the whinny part a little and being on the wrong side of the wall might actually give him some power-ups I'm hoping.
Mentioning the wrong side of the wall is anyone hoping for a miracle for the fat boy who is on the verge of being eaten by the white walkers in the last episode?
Just briefly browsing what other people said but isn't molesting and rape roughly the same thing? Also if it is I just want to point out the the queen whats-her-face was very willing partaker in the incest...may she die very soon! (why is it only starks who die off?)
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I liked Ned Stark - he was my favourite character T.T
(By the way, why is he called "Ned" when his name is "Eddard"? Where does "Ned" come from?)

Well, the part where Jon claims he's going to fight for his father was over done. I mean, good on you, but the whole thought process was unnecessary. Being a bastard doesn't make him less of his father's son. I guess that's what he eventually learnt..

I thought molesting and rape were the same thing too - since both imply that the other person is unwilling. Except I think rape has more to do with sex whereas molesting is unwanted touching? I don't know.... but yeah, since Cersei was willing, it doesn't count as either.
Add a Comment: