Homestuck: What's So Great About It?

First of all, I'm not even sure this post is in the right place but screw it. Anyways, what is really so great about Homestuck? I read it and got really bored with it and never read it again. I got really annoyed with all the fandom because they were just, bleh(at least the fan art and conversations I found.) So I'm just wondering what's so great about Homestuck? I'm not trying to talk shit on Homestuck(wow that sounds like the conversations the girls in my math class have XD )I'm just curious how people get obsessed with Homestuck.
Comments64
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
its just some thing new and most likes whatever is new
our fandom is just like any other out there, we have good fans(non-obsessive compulsive non-hyperactive high as fuck lunatic fangirls/boys) and we have the bad fans too. unfortunately the bad fans out weigh the good fans.

now with that being said, homestuck is an interactive web comic (to the folks who said video game, that is not right) written and illustrated by none other then Andrew hussie. the comic started on April 13th and this day has become, John egberts birthday. him and three other friends play a game, ending up in the medium. like every one else said, you have to stick with it in order to understand its plot line better. but im not going to hate you, and a alot of others who see my point on the subject at hand, wont hate you either if you dont wish to continue reading it.
What is Homestuck? I mean, I know what it is but...
you mean like the story line?
Yes, and at first I didn't even know it was a comic!
so far all I know it's about these troll things and a couple humans. I'm not really sure, that's just what I've heard. I've never really got into it.
the plot is interesting and the characters (especially the trolls) are fun!! the first act really builds the world a lot, but it's a lot more dull than the rest of the comic!!

really, i got sucked in because it's about a video game that brings forth the apocalypse and that's such a cool concept!!
i'm bored with it too
well, right now, i feel like it's gone really overboard and the artist/author seems to be irritated by the fans. the impact the fans have had has been obvious, and i think the author, hussie, is tired of it.
for me, there plot was very intricate and unpredictable, and that's what i liked about it. i liked the mix of scientific and supernatural themes, as well as timelines and different dimensions. because it's a webcomic, it doesn't have the need to censor itself excessively - or, at least, it didn't, before the fans started getting extremely picky and fussy.
homestuck peaked for me in mid-late act 5. i've stopped reading it now.
it's one of the longest pieces of literature in the english language. it's over-complicated now, as of act 6...
Yeah I would actually agree with you that I believe Hussie is tired of all the fan comments. It is his webcomic and he can't even write it how he wants to.
yes, exactly. people fuss and complain too much and he is reasonably close with his fans. he's just one guy. i feel like the fandom can treat him like he's not even human - it's like they think his life IS homestuck. he has other things to do and he has to take are of himself.
people are so easily offended and go ott, to the point that he parodied these types of people in the webcomic itself!
I think he has been a great sport, dealing with everyone the way he has. I don't know that I would be able to handle some of the comments he gets about his decisions to kill off characters or even who he wants to be in a "ship". I can't believe how crazy people get about their OTP's! I mean seriously! I have my OTP's I understand but don't email this poor man and harass him over it. lol I believe that Hussie cares about his characters as well, what author wouldn't, so I don't think he is doing it to be a jerk. I just think he has a greater plan for them later on that we just don't know about....yet.
*take care of himself not Are of himself what was i doing haha
me too! he's been making light out of it! he's been trying to do what he wants to some extent, at least..
oh my god, same here! half the fun in otp's is just....writing them etc yourself! some things are better when they're not there youknow?
yes exactly. he's very smart, i'm sure it's all for something.
Yeah, I'm just really ready for a update! I feel like a flash should be coming soon - it has been a while.
I tried reading it once. was lame. If it can't catch you early on its not worth the headache of the confusing plot. If I were to become more confused than intrigued then I'd give up. :shrug:
I personally disliked Homestuck for the first two acts but my friends kept insisting that it got better. So I paced myself, reading ten pages a night - like homework kinda lol. Anyways, once I got to act three everything just kinda clicked and it was awesome after that. However, I could see it being VERY intimidating to a lot of people with it being 7000 pages long and pretty text heavy. However, Hussie (the author) knows that it can get kinda boring so he throws in some pretty awesome actual computer game play. :3 Now that I am completely caught up I highly recommend it to people who enjoy silly, fun, and sometime mellow dramatic comics.
abso-friggen-lutely nothing
Nothing really.

I think it's interesting because it is a story told entirely in a second person, and it is very creative. I had to find an audio version on Youtube to watch because the original format of the site is a pain in the ass to read and hurts my eyes. I feel that the site format is the biggest road block for people. As well as the bullshit colors that make it a god damn headache.

I find that the grand majority of the things that people like about it are all extra-canonical fan works, or things they just make up. Homestuck itself is very cut-and-dry, but then people imagine all of these personalities and backstory things for the characters, then act like it is actually part of Homestuck. I don't merge fandom with canon in my judgement, so I think it's all very silly.
I agree entirely. :>
No idea really... I've read through as much as I could to find some shred of interest in it but found none.
But there's always some people who will enjoy that other "something" and others are just reading it for the hype.
Well, it's really long so if you don't like it by act 4, then it may not be for you. Also it is made for humor and its meant to make fun of point and click adventure games and how you get to control the character. The first three acts is just setting up the story for all the events after, and it takes a long time to read. The music that will play which some of the animations are awesome.
Same with you here, I'm currently questing for an answer.
You need a certain sense of humor to enjoy it, really. It just doesn't click with some people. I can't really explain it
It's the same case as MLP. They just have apparently traded the part of the brain that says "stop, maybe you're going to far" for more merchandise relating to the franchise.