Closed to new replies
January 11, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 63

Homestuck: What's So Great About It?

:icongloomypandabear:
GloomyPandaBear Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
First of all, I'm not even sure this post is in the right place but screw it. Anyways, what is really so great about Homestuck? I read it and got really bored with it and never read it again. I got really annoyed with all the fandom because they were just, bleh(at least the fan art and conversations I found.) So I'm just wondering what's so great about Homestuck? I'm not trying to talk shit on Homestuck(wow that sounds like the conversations the girls in my math class have XD )I'm just curious how people get obsessed with Homestuck.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icongirlunderthebox:
GirlUnderTheBox Featured By Owner Mar 20, 2013
its just some thing new and most likes whatever is new
:iconnarutopixygirl34:
narutopixygirl34 Featured By Owner Mar 20, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
our fandom is just like any other out there, we have good fans(non-obsessive compulsive non-hyperactive high as fuck lunatic fangirls/boys) and we have the bad fans too. unfortunately the bad fans out weigh the good fans.

now with that being said, homestuck is an interactive web comic (to the folks who said video game, that is not right) written and illustrated by none other then Andrew hussie. the comic started on April 13th and this day has become, John egberts birthday. him and three other friends play a game, ending up in the medium. like every one else said, you have to stick with it in order to understand its plot line better. but im not going to hate you, and a alot of others who see my point on the subject at hand, wont hate you either if you dont wish to continue reading it.
:iconamyrpf13:
AmyRPF13 Featured By Owner Mar 15, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
What is Homestuck? I mean, I know what it is but...
GloomyPandaBear Featured By Owner Mar 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
you mean like the story line?
:iconamyrpf13:
AmyRPF13 Featured By Owner Mar 16, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Yes, and at first I didn't even know it was a comic!
GloomyPandaBear Featured By Owner Mar 17, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
so far all I know it's about these troll things and a couple humans. I'm not really sure, that's just what I've heard. I've never really got into it.
:iconnepetalejionh33h33:
NepetaLejionh33h33 Featured By Owner Mar 11, 2013  Student Digital Artist
the plot is interesting and the characters (especially the trolls) are fun!! the first act really builds the world a lot, but it's a lot more dull than the rest of the comic!!

really, i got sucked in because it's about a video game that brings forth the apocalypse and that's such a cool concept!!
:icondawnflower8:
dawnflower8 Featured By Owner Mar 7, 2013  Student General Artist
i'm bored with it too
:iconava-ire:
ava-ire Featured By Owner Mar 7, 2013
well, right now, i feel like it's gone really overboard and the artist/author seems to be irritated by the fans. the impact the fans have had has been obvious, and i think the author, hussie, is tired of it.
for me, there plot was very intricate and unpredictable, and that's what i liked about it. i liked the mix of scientific and supernatural themes, as well as timelines and different dimensions. because it's a webcomic, it doesn't have the need to censor itself excessively - or, at least, it didn't, before the fans started getting extremely picky and fussy.
homestuck peaked for me in mid-late act 5. i've stopped reading it now.
it's one of the longest pieces of literature in the english language. it's over-complicated now, as of act 6...
:iconfarorephotography:
FarorePhotography Featured By Owner Mar 7, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Yeah I would actually agree with you that I believe Hussie is tired of all the fan comments. It is his webcomic and he can't even write it how he wants to.
yes, exactly. people fuss and complain too much and he is reasonably close with his fans. he's just one guy. i feel like the fandom can treat him like he's not even human - it's like they think his life IS homestuck. he has other things to do and he has to take are of himself.
people are so easily offended and go ott, to the point that he parodied these types of people in the webcomic itself!
I think he has been a great sport, dealing with everyone the way he has. I don't know that I would be able to handle some of the comments he gets about his decisions to kill off characters or even who he wants to be in a "ship". I can't believe how crazy people get about their OTP's! I mean seriously! I have my OTP's I understand but don't email this poor man and harass him over it. lol I believe that Hussie cares about his characters as well, what author wouldn't, so I don't think he is doing it to be a jerk. I just think he has a greater plan for them later on that we just don't know about....yet.
*take care of himself not Are of himself what was i doing haha
me too! he's been making light out of it! he's been trying to do what he wants to some extent, at least..
oh my god, same here! half the fun in otp's is just....writing them etc yourself! some things are better when they're not there youknow?
yes exactly. he's very smart, i'm sure it's all for something.
Yeah, I'm just really ready for a update! I feel like a flash should be coming soon - it has been a while.
:icongreen-eyedtiger:
Green-EyedTiger Featured By Owner Mar 5, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I tried reading it once. was lame. If it can't catch you early on its not worth the headache of the confusing plot. If I were to become more confused than intrigued then I'd give up. :shrug:
FarorePhotography Featured By Owner Mar 3, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I personally disliked Homestuck for the first two acts but my friends kept insisting that it got better. So I paced myself, reading ten pages a night - like homework kinda lol. Anyways, once I got to act three everything just kinda clicked and it was awesome after that. However, I could see it being VERY intimidating to a lot of people with it being 7000 pages long and pretty text heavy. However, Hussie (the author) knows that it can get kinda boring so he throws in some pretty awesome actual computer game play. :3 Now that I am completely caught up I highly recommend it to people who enjoy silly, fun, and sometime mellow dramatic comics.
:iconuboa-chan:
UBOA-CHAN Featured By Owner Mar 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
abso-friggen-lutely nothing
:iconpandadrake:
Pandadrake Featured By Owner Mar 2, 2013
Nothing really.

I think it's interesting because it is a story told entirely in a second person, and it is very creative. I had to find an audio version on Youtube to watch because the original format of the site is a pain in the ass to read and hurts my eyes. I feel that the site format is the biggest road block for people. As well as the bullshit colors that make it a god damn headache.

I find that the grand majority of the things that people like about it are all extra-canonical fan works, or things they just make up. Homestuck itself is very cut-and-dry, but then people imagine all of these personalities and backstory things for the characters, then act like it is actually part of Homestuck. I don't merge fandom with canon in my judgement, so I think it's all very silly.
:iconer49563:
er49563 Featured By Owner Mar 23, 2013  Student General Artist
I agree entirely. :>
:iconrynkadraws:
RynkaDraws Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2013  Student Digital Artist
No idea really... I've read through as much as I could to find some shred of interest in it but found none.
But there's always some people who will enjoy that other "something" and others are just reading it for the hype.
:iconartsenseiofdreams:
Artsenseiofdreams Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2013  Student General Artist
Well, it's really long so if you don't like it by act 4, then it may not be for you. Also it is made for humor and its meant to make fun of point and click adventure games and how you get to control the character. The first three acts is just setting up the story for all the events after, and it takes a long time to read. The music that will play which some of the animations are awesome.
:iconnecroraevyn:
NecroRaevyn Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Student Writer
Same with you here, I'm currently questing for an answer.
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Student General Artist
You need a certain sense of humor to enjoy it, really. It just doesn't click with some people. I can't really explain it
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Professional Artist
It's the same case as MLP. They just have apparently traded the part of the brain that says "stop, maybe you're going to far" for more merchandise relating to the franchise.
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Eh, I don't care about it :shrug:
:iconcaroline263:
Caroline263 Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
don't know what it is, but whenever my friends say something like:
'Let us tell you about homestuck.'
or that buckets are sexy
I get confused.
:iconmagnifulouschicken:
magnifulouschicken Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Yeah a lot of my friends are into it and want me to read it...getting a little annoying XD. I don't really get into fandoms that easily (I guess that's not such a bad thing though)
:iconmetalhartrockandroll:
metalhartrockandroll Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013
I keep trying to get into it. My friend loves it and insists that it just starts out slow but I've yet to get very far. I intend to try it again though.
:iconchihiroayako:
ChihiroAyako Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, as you can see Homestuck has all the interest of a certain teen.Like slash or crack couples, shipping, adventure, comedy, fighting. All of them were whipped up neatly by Hussie in one webcomic. Thats why it became very interesting to people.
:iconwatchherfly:
WatchHerFly Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013
I don't even....
I've been getting into it lately and I like it but it's really just a big pile of WTF.
LOL

and yes. Sadly some of the fans are horribly bad. One of my friends who's deep into the fandom can attest to that. But meh.

It's not a serious comic. No one ever said it was.
:iconrai-a-day:
Rai-A-Day Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I don't understand it either in all honesty. I mean yes I do like it and its enjoyable. But the praise its received an the fan base is..questioning :( I hope I'm not offending anyone, I just don't understand why its as big as it is.
:iconstella-akatsuki:
Stella-Akatsuki Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
ohhhhh. lemme tell ya bout homestuck............ [link]
:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I saw a video on YouTube: [link] that suggests that Homestuck is basically the internet's equivalent of the novel Ulysses by James Joyce. In other words, it's so bloated and difficult to read through that the main reason people actually do read through it is to feel a sense of pride and accomplishment for having consumed such a mammoth and unintelligible work.

I have no interest in reading it, partially because it sounds like a huge waste of time, but cursory inspection may reveal that another reason may be simple interest, as it appears to include mythological, astrological, and Lovecraftian themes. That, and I suppose there was a time when it wasn't such an enormous work, so there must be some reason it attracted interest in the first place.
fuck you. homestuck is the awesomest thing EVER!!!!!!!! how about you get to act 2 before you fucking bag on it.
UBOA-CHAN Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
how about you calm the fuck down and let this person have their own goddamn opinion?
Stella-Akatsuki Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
ah shut up. its been resolved ya nooksucker!
UBOA-CHAN Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
wow, aren't we the mature one :roll:
Stella-Akatsuki Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
yeah. well not all people are insufferable faggots who go around looking for figjts with kid on the internet.
UBOA-CHAN Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
i'm just saying that you went a little overboard, mmkay? :meow:

and i wasn't trying to pick a "figjts" with you, i was just telling you that not everyone is going to like your precious webcomic and that they are entitled to their own opinion. :)
Stella-Akatsuki Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
holy crap. i... wow. I can't believe I misspelled fights. I looked over your reply like 5 times before looking back at mine. XD
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It was not my intention to "bag" on anything. I was simply sharing my observations as an outsider. A bit sensitive, are we? ;)
i know. my friend reacts the same way as you did to that forum. i hate it when she does that but she simply wont read it. sorry.
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Apology accepted. Don't worry about it.
:iconwhocaresaboutthis:
whocaresaboutthis Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
the first 2 acts are very boring but you get to see three characters see how they react to entering the medium. the third act starts to pick up and then the next few acts youre involved with the characters and the end of acts confuse the everloveing shit outta ya. you keep reading to try to know how it will end but all the plot lines entangle and youre a hopeless mess of confusion and you hope the next update will enlighten you but then youre even more confused and then you go lay down and take a nap
yup. exactly. but when you get to the trolls, it goes to be awesome.
:iconwhocaresaboutthis:
whocaresaboutthis Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
its also a reader suggested web comic kinda like ruby quest and nan quest
:iconensoul:
ensoul Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Professional General Artist
I think most of the fans just liked the cartoony game-theme character design and the sarcastic-internet-troll style of dialogue, and now they're just pretending to be able to follow the plot. I suspect it's just going to devolve into LOST-like levels of confusion and disappointment when it turns out Hussie's been picking random fan theories to keep the whole mess going. Not that I can blame him at this point. It may have more disjointed filler arcs than Bleach but it'd be stupid to put down the cash cow.
:iconsesshomaru431:
Sesshomaru431 Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
I wonder this too. I got so bored when I tried to read it.
:iconwwwjam:
wwwjam Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student Digital Artist
The artwork makes my eyes bleed and that alone is enough to keep me away from it. The absurdity that is the characters all seeming to have like 4 different co-existing versions of themselves, them apparently dying and being resurrected (DBZ syndrome), turning into gods, the apparently fan-driven narrative (at least according to some conversations that some Homestuck fans have that I've read) and so on and so forth is just icing on the "I'm not going near that" cake. I don't even care if none of what I just said actually happens in it, as I said, the art style alone makes me want to stay far, far away from it. It seriously gives me a head ache looking at it.

I don't mind if other people like it. Like it all you want. For me, it's just not worth my time to try and understand.
I will say that some of the more fanatical fans make me want to commit various heinous crimes, but that's neither here nor there.
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Personally, my fascination has a lot to do with the sheer insanity of the plot, the way the creator is able to just make this awesome, epic story out of things on the internet that are normally stupid or boring, and the twisted humour.

And then there's the juggalos. Oh my gog, the juggalos...
Add a Comment: