Thoughts on Great Expectations

When I was younger (i.e. 13-14), we were forced to read the novel "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens. At the time, I absolutely hated it and it made no sense.

Now I'm in college and an English Literature major. One of the books that I'll be reading for my "Nationality and Literature" course is, you guessed it, "Great Expectations."

I haven't read this book since I was forced to read it in high school and I still have negative feelings about it. For those of you who have read it/heard of this book, what are your thoughts? Should I give the book a second chance? Do you think I'll enjoy it the second time around?
Comments3
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I technically haven't read the book, but I listened to the audiobook and absolutely loved it. Frank Muller was the narrator and he has a way of making the characters come alive. I'd recommend at least trying the audiobook, if you don't think you can stand reading the book again.

I can understand a 13-14 year old not enjoying the book, but I think an older and therefore (hopefully) more patient and mature reader would be able to enjoy it. You might be able to identify with the older Pip a little more now.