Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 8, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 3

Looking for a good book about manga/anime/Japanese pop art.

:iconcajunattack:
cajunattack Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional General Artist
I'm looking for recommendations for books on manga/anime/Japanese pop art that I could get for a mate's birthday. There are hundreds of books on Manga out there, but most of them are fairly throwaway, coffee table fare populated with plates of modern manga and writing with very little intellectual substance: I'm looking for something with university standard text which explores the genesis, historical and cultural impact of Japanese comic art.

Any help would be appreciated!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
Your best chance is probably going to a really good comic store with art books and pick one out, there's one out there with astroboy on it I don't remember the title though, but lots are floating around, just go through it and see if it has enough historical detail.
:iconyashachan:
yashachan Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Frederik Schodt wrote several books on the subject. I don't remember what his writing style was like, though, since it's been ~10 years since I read anything by him.
:iconcajunattack:
cajunattack Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional General Artist
Fantastic- the books to get good reviews. I think I'll go with one of them. Many thanks!
Add a Comment: