How would Bruce Wayne have turned out if he came from a poor family?

I created a character called "Megabat" who is a satirical image of the modern batman. His story began a lot like Bruce Wayne except he was from a poor/working class family... This is my way of saying "Batman has a superpower: money!"

Dare I ask how would Bruce Wayne have turned out if he was from a poor family without a penny to his name after his parents were killed?

And "he's batman" is invalid because he didn't become batman until that bat flew into his room years later.
Comments53
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I'm no expert on "Batman." But wouldn't a poor Bruce Wayne just be Robin (or one of the Robins)? I know one Robin was orphaned, and he wasn't rich like Bruce. So Bruce took him under his wing (har har) so that Robin could take up vigilantism, like he himself did.
HOBO-MAN nd his side-kick PIGEON!!!
hed probally end up as batman with little gadgets....remember that daredevil grew up dirt poor
He would have still become Batman. The fact that his parents had money had nothing to do with his decision to fight crime. He would have just had to work a little harder to get the cool gadgets.

:iconbatmanplz:
"The fact that his parents had money had nothing to do with his decision to fight crime."
Except that that's the whole reason his parents got killed, which is what spurred him to become Batman.
With or with out being rich they could have gotten mugged and killed. Muggers will target anyone who looks like they have even just a few dollars on them. If Bruce Wayne’s parents were average middle class workers, a mugger would still go after them.
True, but that, particular, mugger was after them because his mom was wearing a nice set of pearls, a fur, and his dad wearing a nice watch, and so on. I mean, unless you know some muggers, personally, I'd imagine that they normally don't go after people who don't really look like they wouldn't have anything on them. The purpose of mugging is to get an amount of money/valuables worth the effort and potential risk, which poor/working class people don't generally wear, especially with credit/debit cards, and the selection of costume jewelry.
Ok first of all My step-mother and father are both work class individuals on an average middle class income. One year for Christmas my dad got my step-mom a nice pearl necklace. Being middle class doesn't mean you don't have any money for your occasional luxury. There is plenty of things that a middle class worker can have that will get them mugged.

It also doesn't take money to make yourself look wealthy. Any woman can put on some faux pearls, and a faux fur coat and look like she has money. As far as a mugger is concerned he is not going to go check the labels of what a woman is wearing to see if it's real or not. If someone -looks- like they have money then they cab become a target. Chances are if you are out mugging people you don't even know how to tell the difference between real pearls, and faux ones, and you are defiantly not going notice the difference while you're grabbing it off from someone's neck.

Another thing you have to remember is that not all muggers target rich people. They can target anyone that fancies their pleasing. Someone once jacked my wallet off me in Penn Station. That particular day I was wearing a dirty hoodie, ripped jeans, and a half ass broken pair of shoes. I had no pears, jewlery, or expensive clothing yet I was still targeted. The guy had no idea what in my wallet either. He just grabbed it ran.

Even as a middle class or even as a lower income family they could have gotten mugged.
They were just less likely. Since there was a suggestion of them being "poor" working class, they probably would have lived in the East End. Having lived in questionable areas, you had less likelihood of being "mugged" by people from that area, violence in those areas are usually gang-related, familial vengeance, et cetera. If his parents were still killed, as unlikely as that would have been, it would be more likely that they were casualties of someone else's problems.
Well now you are not making any sense. Ok so Bruce Wayne's family was from the slums of Gotham, that does not mean that they can never leave the area they live in. Being poor doesn't mean you can't be in nice parts of the city where "rich people" are found. There could be a million reason that put his parents in a situation to get them killed in the manor they did. A persons socio-economic class has very little to do with their chances of being mugged regardless of where they are.

"Having lived in questionable areas" That right there is opening up a world of ways that his parents could have gotten killed by a mugger. Living at an area of high crime rate can heavily increase your chances of being mugged and killed. Before moving to NYC I lived in a shit small town with a really high crime rate. Just because I live in that area doesn't exempt me from getting mugged. I am just as likely as someone who has never been there before.

I firmly stand by my belief that Batman would still exist if his parents were poor. Not much you can say will sway my belief.
View all replies
Probably still would be cooler than Aquaman ;)
Aquaman is actually a pretty hardcore character, people just associate him with "Super Friends" too much. That's the one thing the New 52 did right, was to show how cool he could be, again.
Whenever I think of Aquaman it is from super friends. I was more of a Marvel kind of kid growing up...now I don't even read comics :shrug:

I came across this the other day and it made me laugh though:

[link]
That is, sadly, how most people know him. I was a Marvel kid growing up, too. They're easier to relate to, generally, for angsty pre-teens and teenagers. The whole, "the world is against me," and relationship drama, I think.

That kind of reminds me of this: [link]
It was what my siblings read. I got hand me down comics :lol:

I love that picture! Can't go wrong with sharks :nod:
Cardboard armor and wings.
He'd probably be the same guy as Rorschach, but with a bat mask.
He'd be the Question, because the Question is essentially a poor-man's Batman.
There was seriously a hero named 'the question'? :iconfacepalmplz:
Yup. He is an awesome character.
He's actually the original Rorschach and was supposed to be in Watchmen, but they ended up creating new characters so that Alan Moore could destroy everything without worrying about canon.
Watch Justice League Unlimited to find him. He's amazing in that cool/hilarious kind of way.
He'd become... HOBO BAT MAN.