Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 6, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 52

How would Bruce Wayne have turned out if he came from a poor family?

:iconrayaroja:
Rayaroja Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I created a character called "Megabat" who is a satirical image of the modern batman. His story began a lot like Bruce Wayne except he was from a poor/working class family... This is my way of saying "Batman has a superpower: money!"

Dare I ask how would Bruce Wayne have turned out if he was from a poor family without a penny to his name after his parents were killed?

And "he's batman" is invalid because he didn't become batman until that bat flew into his room years later.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconytcyberpunk:
YTcyberpunk Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I'm no expert on "Batman." But wouldn't a poor Bruce Wayne just be Robin (or one of the Robins)? I know one Robin was orphaned, and he wasn't rich like Bruce. So Bruce took him under his wing (har har) so that Robin could take up vigilantism, like he himself did.
:icontengutenz:
tengutenz Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Student Filmographer
HOBO-MAN nd his side-kick PIGEON!!!
:iconblackrabbit98:
Blackrabbit98 Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
hed probally end up as batman with little gadgets....remember that daredevil grew up dirt poor
:iconkrissygalaxis:
krissygalaxis Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student General Artist
He would have still become Batman. The fact that his parents had money had nothing to do with his decision to fight crime. He would have just had to work a little harder to get the cool gadgets.

:iconbatmanplz:
:icondachaoskitty:
daChaosKitty Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
"The fact that his parents had money had nothing to do with his decision to fight crime."
Except that that's the whole reason his parents got killed, which is what spurred him to become Batman.
krissygalaxis Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Student General Artist
With or with out being rich they could have gotten mugged and killed. Muggers will target anyone who looks like they have even just a few dollars on them. If Bruce Wayne’s parents were average middle class workers, a mugger would still go after them.
True, but that, particular, mugger was after them because his mom was wearing a nice set of pearls, a fur, and his dad wearing a nice watch, and so on. I mean, unless you know some muggers, personally, I'd imagine that they normally don't go after people who don't really look like they wouldn't have anything on them. The purpose of mugging is to get an amount of money/valuables worth the effort and potential risk, which poor/working class people don't generally wear, especially with credit/debit cards, and the selection of costume jewelry.
Ok first of all My step-mother and father are both work class individuals on an average middle class income. One year for Christmas my dad got my step-mom a nice pearl necklace. Being middle class doesn't mean you don't have any money for your occasional luxury. There is plenty of things that a middle class worker can have that will get them mugged.

It also doesn't take money to make yourself look wealthy. Any woman can put on some faux pearls, and a faux fur coat and look like she has money. As far as a mugger is concerned he is not going to go check the labels of what a woman is wearing to see if it's real or not. If someone -looks- like they have money then they cab become a target. Chances are if you are out mugging people you don't even know how to tell the difference between real pearls, and faux ones, and you are defiantly not going notice the difference while you're grabbing it off from someone's neck.

Another thing you have to remember is that not all muggers target rich people. They can target anyone that fancies their pleasing. Someone once jacked my wallet off me in Penn Station. That particular day I was wearing a dirty hoodie, ripped jeans, and a half ass broken pair of shoes. I had no pears, jewlery, or expensive clothing yet I was still targeted. The guy had no idea what in my wallet either. He just grabbed it ran.

Even as a middle class or even as a lower income family they could have gotten mugged.
They were just less likely. Since there was a suggestion of them being "poor" working class, they probably would have lived in the East End. Having lived in questionable areas, you had less likelihood of being "mugged" by people from that area, violence in those areas are usually gang-related, familial vengeance, et cetera. If his parents were still killed, as unlikely as that would have been, it would be more likely that they were casualties of someone else's problems.
Well now you are not making any sense. Ok so Bruce Wayne's family was from the slums of Gotham, that does not mean that they can never leave the area they live in. Being poor doesn't mean you can't be in nice parts of the city where "rich people" are found. There could be a million reason that put his parents in a situation to get them killed in the manor they did. A persons socio-economic class has very little to do with their chances of being mugged regardless of where they are.

"Having lived in questionable areas" That right there is opening up a world of ways that his parents could have gotten killed by a mugger. Living at an area of high crime rate can heavily increase your chances of being mugged and killed. Before moving to NYC I lived in a shit small town with a really high crime rate. Just because I live in that area doesn't exempt me from getting mugged. I am just as likely as someone who has never been there before.

I firmly stand by my belief that Batman would still exist if his parents were poor. Not much you can say will sway my belief.
daChaosKitty Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
"Having lived in questionable areas," was a personal reference, not Bruce's would-be experience.

Of course, we are talking comics, which means that we are talking stereotypes. I doubt they'd have a "poor" family not living in a "poor" area, such as the East End, where he would grow up with violence not being such a... shock as it would have been to a coddled, sheltered, well-to-do, little boy, because it is all the better to emphasize their squalor. He also wouldn't have the benefit of Alfred raising him. So, he'd probably go into the system. He'd probably end up like Jason Todd would have, if Bruce hadn't gotten him, first.

Of course, as you've said, I can't sway your belief. That's fine, again.
:icontacosteev:
tacosteev Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist
Probably still would be cooler than Aquaman ;)
Aquaman is actually a pretty hardcore character, people just associate him with "Super Friends" too much. That's the one thing the New 52 did right, was to show how cool he could be, again.
tacosteev Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist
Whenever I think of Aquaman it is from super friends. I was more of a Marvel kind of kid growing up...now I don't even read comics :shrug:

I came across this the other day and it made me laugh though:

[link]
That is, sadly, how most people know him. I was a Marvel kid growing up, too. They're easier to relate to, generally, for angsty pre-teens and teenagers. The whole, "the world is against me," and relationship drama, I think.

That kind of reminds me of this: [link]
tacosteev Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist
It was what my siblings read. I got hand me down comics :lol:

I love that picture! Can't go wrong with sharks :nod:
:iconmeinesehnsucht:
MeineSehnsucht Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013   Writer
Cardboard armor and wings.
:iconimperius-rex:
Imperius-Rex Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
He'd probably be the same guy as Rorschach, but with a bat mask.
:iconkillianseraphim:
KillianSeraphim Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Student General Artist
He'd be the Question, because the Question is essentially a poor-man's Batman.
tacosteev Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist
There was seriously a hero named 'the question'? :iconfacepalmplz:
Yup. He is an awesome character.
:iconpandadrake:
Pandadrake Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
He's actually the original Rorschach and was supposed to be in Watchmen, but they ended up creating new characters so that Alan Moore could destroy everything without worrying about canon.
:iconkillianseraphim:
KillianSeraphim Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student General Artist
Watch Justice League Unlimited to find him. He's amazing in that cool/hilarious kind of way.
:iconvanhir:
Vanhir Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
He'd become... HOBO BAT MAN.
:iconcactusskate:
CactussKate Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Dead.

Yep.
:iconrun-alian:
ruN-aliaN Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
He'd be your average homeless person.
:iconjuliabohemian:
Juliabohemian Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
He would be living in a state run mental hospital.
:iconjade-abarai-kat:
Jade-Abarai-Kat Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
since he would have grown up around the lower class of gotham, which would be more voilent. I would assume he would take the more voilent route to becoming batman, like killing instead of not killing
daChaosKitty Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Well, to be fair, if he were from a poor family, he would have likely grown up somewhere like Suicide Slums, where violence was a relatively common occurrence, and his parents probably wouldn't have been mugged/killed for looking rich in a poorer part of town. Thus, he'd have no reason to become Batman, and he likely would have grown up to become a regular schlub like everyone else, or maybe he'd start the company. But, still, no Batman.
Yes, I know Suicide Slums is in Metropolis. I couldn't remember the name of the "bad" part of Gotham.
:iconmliaxanime:
MLIAxAnime Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I thought it was Bludhaven at first. But that's outside of Gotham. You might be talking about Devil's Square.
I'd have to go back into DCUO. >_> Ah, it's the East End, that's where Crime Alley, and stuff, is.
:iconmerlok1:
Merlok1 Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
like Rorschach
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
Well, Peribyss beat me to it. I'd think he'd end up like Rorschach from Watchmen--a vigilante with great detective skills and the ability to fight, but none of the cool gatchets, extensive training, cars, protection, health care, and Alfred.
:iconthe-cheek:
the-cheek Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
To be fair, Rorschach's mother was also a whore.
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
Non sequitur
:iconperibyss:
Peribyss Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Probably like Rorschach, if I had to take a guess.
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
DAMMIT you beat me to it!
:iconserene-gemini:
serene-gemini Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
After growing up poor, going to an inner city school in Gotham and getting his little butt kicked for talking smack about justice around kids whose family's put food on the table with crime, he eventually learns that the world in not black and white. And that bats are just harmless animals.
:iconmemnalar:
Memnalar Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
I think he'd end up a vigilante either way. He'd probably join the military, end up in Special Forces or similar, then would become a cop after discharge, work his way up to detective, then turn to vigilantism when "the system" doesn't allow him to pursue justice his own way.

In other words, Frank Castle.
:iconfrosen24:
fROSEn24 Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
i agree batman wouldnt have nothing but idk that s another story in itself i mean look at robin he looked successful in teen titans and night wing but he was orphaned....well unless he was on bruce's will
:iconjzlobo:
JZLobo Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Dick has always financially backed by Bruce, at least til he graduated college. By that time, Lucius Fox had invested his small inheritance and built it up into a small fortune for Dick.
:iconalakdilion:
Alakdilion Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Without wealth, he wouldn't be able to afford his education, extensive training from teachers all over the world (at least within 20-some years), or the hi-tech gear he relies on so much. You'd probably have yourself a clever street vigilante who'd last for an issue or two before he dies from his wounds because he can't afford a butler with medical knowledge.
:iconjzlobo:
JZLobo Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
He would have been processed into the foster care system, given rigorous psychological examination and put on so many prescriptions he'd lactate.
:iconarrayofstars:
ArrayOfStars Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
He would have turned out the same as his family's money really played no big part in his becoming of Batman.
Actually, it did. If they were poor, as opposed to filthy rich (wearing furs, pearls, expensive jewelry, etc.), his parents probably wouldn't have been killed.
Sure about that? How would he acquire all of his tools and resources?
Steal them. I don't think that Bruce Wayne would have a problem with stealing from criminals.
That's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for...
And of course with that he'd need martial arts and weapons training. Perhaps he would have went into the military for a short time.
Add a Comment: