Favorite books as a child...

What were your favorite books to read growing up? Please share!!! :)

Some of my favorites were:

"The Thieves of Tyburn Square" by Dave and Neta Jackson - A historical fiction involving Elizabeth Fry, a quaker woman who wanted to reform prison life for women. I loved this book! Actually, they had a whole series of books, "Trailblazers," focused on different missionaries and reformers.

"The Land of Oz" by Frank L. Baum - This was just a fun story all around. I ended up reading several other Oz books, but this was my favorite.

Sweet Valley Girls series by Francine Pascal - I have the first 20-something books for the elementary level series.

My Very First Golden Bible - This collection of Bible stories had great illustrations and really inspired me!

"Socks" by Beverly Cleary - A cute story about a cat named Socks! First book to make me cry!
Comments182
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
'Silverwing' by Kenneth Oppel :)
I liked manga as a little kid, and I still do, and my favorite was Sailor Moon.
I also liked the Eloise storybooks.
The Outsiders and Catcher in the Rye
I loved the Boxcar Children series when I was growing up. There were many others that I liked, but off the top of my head that's probably my favorite. (:
The Harry Potter series was one of my favourites, along with Goosebumps. I also loved anything about bears or teddies
The Secret Garden was my absolute favorite. I had a bunch of other favorites, but I forgot the author's name. If I were to see it, I would recognize it right away.
The Warriors, all the way! :#1:
Also Jungle Book, Redwall series, Carbonel: the King of the Cats (by Barbara Sleigh). I loved a lot of animal books.
I wore out a copy of the Lord of the Rings as a kid. Other than that, I remember reading my way through the Saddle Club series, the Thoroughbred series and a lot of other horse stories, dog stories, Nancy Drew series etc.
I had a lot of the Little Golden Books, though I sadly don't remember them all. The only one that I can remember offhand that was a definite favorite was The Poky Little Puppy. My mum says that she definitely thought that it was my most favorite of all time, because I always made her read it to me. Peter Rabbit was also a favorite of mine. :lol:
I also had a lot of Dr. Seuss's stories (I have a whole book of them somewhere...). My definite favorites from him were The Lorax, Horton Hatches an Egg, The Cat in the Hat, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and Green Eggs and Ham.
I also read the Chet Gecko Mysteries a lot, too... and I still read them even now. :lol:
I've always enjoyed Roald Dahl's books, especially The BFG, The Enormous Crocodile, The Giraffe and The Pelly and Me and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I also used to love the Animal Ark series by Lucy Daniels.

One book that I really loved when I was very young was Cuddly Dudley, about a penguin who was always trying to find some privacy away from his annoying siblings, who can't resist hugging him. To this day, I still know the whole story off by heart.
Have you heard of the Wolf Brother series by Michelle Paver? It's set in the stone age and is both historical and fictional at the same time. I loved it as a kid. :)
When I was a little kid I loved the magic tree house series and the junie B jones books. Those are the only books I remember ever reading as a little kid.
Mine were: Tuck Everlasting, The Kid in the Red Jacket, The Indian in the Cupboard (also a movie) and a few others :P
I read a bunch of Oz books, too; they were fun.

I read a lot of Hardy Boy and the Three Investigator mysteries(not Nancy Drew-yuck; such a Mary Sue) , and Enid Blyton's the Secret Seven and the Famous Five. Sexist and unrealistic, I know, but I grew up believing boys did interesting stuff, while girls did boring stuff. Girl characters were one word: boring.

I also liked Sweet Valley as an older teen, especially the earlier books. Dunno why, it's trash, but I was in the trashy romance stage in my life. They merely reinforced my belief that girls do boring stuff, though.

The Childrens Bible, the text was substantial, the illustrations were realistic and gritty. Not light and fluff like some other children's bibles.

Watership Down. It blew my mind, such a rich world and well developed characters. Hazel was such a clever, unique character. I read that once every year for years.

The Big Book of Facts, which my mother got me for my 11th birthday. It was a big, fat book. I also read all of the children's encyclopedias in our house, especially about science, planets and animals. There were no encyclopedias for adults in the house, otherwise I would have devoured those, too.
Growing up, is struggled with reading but as soon as i read the Horrid Henry books they helped me a lot, and now I'm a total book worm, reading books in less than a week (But i do actually take the story in)and now i now I've gone from being crap at English, to being in the top set. Bonus.
When I was really little, my parents used to read a book named "Spider" to me all the time while my grandparents used to read a book called "Tailipo" Not spelling that remotely right.

From 5 years on, I pretty much glued to the Goosebumps series.
I loved the Warriors series! I think they're still going on, but I haven't read them in a long time and the names of the characters are just a jumble of syllables to me now XD
When I was in kindergarten and first grade I loved the Junie B. Jones books by Barbra Park. XD I turned out a lot like that kid when I was younger. Go figure.

When I was in middle school I enjoyed those Camp Confidential books and the Madison Finn books. Sadly in 7th grade after reading the Twilight series in less than a week I stopped reading teen books like those from Judie Bloom and started going into science fiction and fantasy books. I've been hooked on those ever since!
I read too many stories as a child but my favorite were the complete Grimms' fairytales book. I used to love huge books and that book was definitely one of my favorite books which I read many times.
I remember that I used to love the Pony Pals series by Jeanne Betancourt, and The Unicorns of Balinor, by Mary Stanton.
I'm a bit of a Fantasy nerd, as was foretold by my reading when I was a kid :P :D
the Edge Chronicles by Paul Stewart (illustrated by the BEST ILLUSTRATOR EVER Chris Riddel :) )
His Dark Materials Pullman
Percy Jackson Rick Riordan
oh and of course the Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilky :)
and I started reading the glorious Discworld Novels when I was 13 so I guess they count
Lord of the Rings/Hobbit naturally
Eragon series
and my dad read the Harry Potter books to me as a kid. not my favourites, but I still loved them
and I finally read the Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman a few weeks ago, something I'd seen when I was younger but never read it
Thanks for putting this up, it was nice recollecting some old faves :)
I enjoyed Magic Tree House series and The Hobbit. I can't really think of anything else, but when I was little I loved Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs :)
Peter Pan
The Little Prince
Charlotte's Web
Trumpet of the Swan
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

When I was about eleven, I really liked Flipped.
I looooved books growing up, still do! :)

Before I started school some of my favourites were,
Where the forest meets the sea by Jeannie Baker----- [link]
I could sit looking at the pictures for hours when I was a kid :)
The Store Bought Doll----this was a Little Golden Book, I don't know who wrote it but I would fall asleep hugging this book, lol
The Hungry Caterpillar---- Eric Carle
Green eggs and ham------------ Dr Zeuss

And then when I got a bit older
the Harry Potter series!
Iggy and Boa -----can't remember the authors name
Mathilda, The BFG, George's Marvellous Medicine------- Roald Dahl
National Geographic magazine...I used to imagine that I was a photographer travelling the world to take amazing photos ;)