Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 6, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

Non Cell shaded comic book recommendation?

:iconobliviobrpg:
obliviobrpg Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Fellow deviants,
can you please recommend me a good comic book that is not cell-shaded or at least not the classical DC/Marvel style? A CG style or at least sometning different? Sometning like the joseph kosinski's Oblivion. Recently I have read Dead Space and it had it's own charm.
Thanks!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontrivialtales:
trivialtales Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
Jill Thompson. Eric Powell.
obliviobrpg Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
Thanks for the tips cajunattack. I think I will look into Dredd series. Just seen the movie and loved it. I think I am kinda intimidated by how many issues all the comics have. First I dont dont like reading a comic book from the middle and secon I really dont have time to read all 800 issues of Spiderman or Xmen.. The heroes stuff is not that appealing to me anyways. I am more into fantasy/sci-fi stuff... Just downloaded Shrapnel published by Radical to my iPad and I think that is the format and artstyle I am most interested in. Fewer issues, nice drawings. Can you recommend anything like that? Thanks!
:iconcajunattack:
cajunattack Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional General Artist
Check out British anthology 2000ad, which, especially in the 90s, when it moved to full colour, had some amazing artwork by the likes of:

Simon Bisley ( Slaine the Horned God, ABC Warriors ) [link]
Colin Macneil ( Judge Dredd, Strontinum Dog ) [link]
Arthur Ranson ( Button Man ) [link]
Kevin Walker ( ABC Warriors ) [link]
And other artwork I can't be arsed looking up by Dermot Power, Greg Staples, Will Simpson, Glenn Fabry, Liam Sharp ( who is on this site! ) and many others. Great stories, amazing artwork.
:iconjesseacosta:
JesseAcosta Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional General Artist
The majority of what Marvel produces isn't in their classic Marvel style or cell shaded these days. I'd actually pick up their books again if they looked like a classic John Buscema Conan comic.
obliviobrpg Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
I really find the Marvel and DC comic Mythology very confusing. There are so many storylines and characters, and they are intersecting. I will stick to shorter stories I think...
:iconbrianfajardo:
BrianFajardo Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
works of del otto from marvel secret war..
obliviobrpg Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Thanks guys! Excellent suggestions! I am a noobie to the world of comic books. (Ipad has broadened my horizons in that respect). Right now I am reading Planetoid and a book Maus.
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
Look at any comics illustrated by Dave McKean. Also, on the other side of that, Lee Bermejo does some fantastic ultra realistic illustrations.
:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
So not cell shaded and not overrendered with a ton of gradients?

Check out pre-90's comics. They where mostly done in flats. There are also books like Blacksad, Requiem: Chevalier Vampire that are colored in watercolor. Slaine is done in acrylics. Speaking of paintings, if you like superheroes there is Alex Ross. I don't really fancy his storytelling but there are painting skills. Also check out Prophet (digital flats among other things), Orc Stain (weird, but works), Gipsy (digital that mimics watercolors or watercolors that mimics digital) and Cucumber Quest (no lines, color plates, paint-ish).
Add a Comment: