Making a comic known (help)

Me and my friends are currently drawing out and writing out the ideas for a comic based on the idea of a medieval fantasy horror (Not really scary, just the genre).

Its based loosely around this elven character who tastes demon blood right after birth when one is slain in his crib room. It changes him into a darker more chaotic type of elf, and thus the story ensues. The story and the drawing isn't the question. I just thought I would give you the summary of it.

The question is....
How does one make it big in comics these days?

I have talked to my friend who owns a local comic shop and a few other people.
So far, I have got:
I need to upload it to a site for free viewing so I can build a fanbase.
I need to upload and buy hardcopies and sell them at a local store.
I need to sell them online.
I need to take my work to a convention.
I need to make a deviantart group and facebook page. (Possibly a twitter)

(I do not have any samples of it up yet, I want to upload what we got when we know what we are going to do.)

Any suggestions, websites, or anything to help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Comments9
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
You should post up behind the scenes work and sketches and stuff as well as have a really good story and art.
Perhaps these sites may not be your forte, however they have had great success with selling their comics online.
One in particular - Yaoi911 - has instructions on how to get your own web comic started and Alex is great with advice.
[link]

Also try
Teahouse - [link]
Prince of Cats - [link]

And if you haven't already checked out SmackJeeves - [link] - a webcomic hosting site, you should.

Not sure if any of this has help but good luck.
Make it first. An idea is rad, and all but the execution could change everything.
...and very few comic publishers deal with unknowns. Trust me here. Go to cons like MOCCA and SPX that specialize in guys like us, and pray you get some notice from the prize committee. I can't imagine anything I'd like better than to write "Ignatz Award Winner" right before my name.
Before all of that you have to make it.
They way i see it depends how good is your comic to people able to like... its pretty hard but I've seen underground comic like Johnny the Homicidal Maniac they use to sell in Hot Topic stores. then Boom the creator working for Nickelodeon making invader Zim. You gotta aim where the kids and people are at, but at this time the economy is harsh. i guess you can try to be aggressive and try

I've seen good artist here on DA trying to expose there stuff, yes they have good art but i sure you that there stories aren't that great if were to buy it. Also i seen Boob and Ass comic's that barely make it cause the guys be only buying that stuff. I'm a artist myself and i choose this to be my hobby or to make it fun .Cause there to much think about.

Also i heard stories companies see your stuff on DA and you get hired for something. i heard Kevin Smith in a comicbook convention he done comic books before it wasn't alot money, but he said making film is where its at. so if i was a good writer i be shipping script to film maker i guess idk. See this the season i stress myself in and i choose it to make fun for me. Maybe i should shut up now cause i said to much.
Taking your work to conventions and showing it to editors is a good idea. If you can get a publishing company to take you on, they can worry about the money part and you only have to worry about the art and the deadlines.
Hey there, you could try and get as many of the people to watch you to put it in journals on their pages for you. I'm sure loads of people would see it that way and I think it would help you get a fan base built up too. I think making a group is a good idea. =) You could try and advertise that in the same way I have suggested.
Hope this was helpful. =D