Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 3, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 1

Need a good scource on male's fashion history!

:icongubble:
Gubble Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
Hey guys,

I try to do some research on fashion but I really lack of a good source for male clothes - and not only fashion from 1900 till today but rather a longer historic approach on it till today.
I'm also perfectly fine with sources that provide a general (detailed) overview about fashion history as long as male fashion is explained and showcased there as much (or at least almost as much) as female fashion. I got a general fashion book today but the impact of male clothing is so little in it that it reaches toward zero. Since i'd like to design costumes and such I also need reference material of male clothing though.

I'd prefer book recommendations because when it comes to websites I'm always afraid that they may be taken down sometime and I lose my source but if you know a good website that has got a broad approach on fashion history including males then I'd gladly take that, too. :)

Thank you!!!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfirelord-zuko:
firelord-zuko Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
A good first start is Wikipedia's series on fashion history [link] ... It is surprisingly exhaustive, and also well-illustrated. The public library in Wiehl got a facsimile of a 19th Century illustrated book on the history of "costumes", but it is highly romantic with a focus on national costumes, and another book on 18th and 19th Century military uniforms of Europe, which is better. Other than that, I'd recommend looking for reenactor sites -- since most reenactors tailor their own clothes, and pay heavy attention to period-appropriate techniques, it can give you quite some info. Other than that, how about having a look around the history section of your university's library? There ought to be something, perhaps under "cultural history" or "social history". Though it's possible there is a section dedicated to fashion design.
Add a Comment: