Book-Reading Resolutions

Last year, I read about 31-32 books. This year, I hope to make that 40. Over that year, I spanned from reading popular YA fiction to literary fiction and classics to Asian writers to nonfiction (psychology, philosophy and history). This year, I hope to delve more into genre fiction (such as crime, which I've never read in my life) and short story collections.

So,

1. How many books are you planning to read for 2013?
2. What types of books are you planning to read for 2013?
Comments39
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Last year I read approximately 48 novels, however I also read what I'd consider to be an unhealthy amount of fan-fiction.
I would like to 55-60 novels in 2013. As for genera, I'd like to read more non-fiction history books, but I'm a sucker for scifi and fantasy and romance.
I don't make resolutions, but I do plan to read a lot this year.

I have all of Vincent Di Fates books, a handful on Color and color theory (because I am almost certain I am not going to learn anything from my color class this spring), a couple of books with pulp fiction short stories, and very large hand full of art and anatomy books.
I took the Goodreads reading challenge last year and read fifty-six books, half of which were non-fiction, a fact of which I'm really proud (not to mention that I learned a lot as well.) I've dialed it back this year since I'll be busier, but plan to tackle some books that have been on my reading list for a while, some classics, and some French books.
Damn it, I will finish the Complete Conan. For the love of all things holy!
Er.....well, I do read, but I like to read a book slowly to really absorb it's content, rater than just zipping through it. But I typically like to read books written in the old english format, i.e. Narnia and Lord of the Rings, and only fantasy. I'm a nerd for fantasy. My resolution is to simply finish reading 'The Hobbit' before the second installment of the movie is relased. xD (I tend to read four books at a time rofl)
1.) My goal is to read 50 books.
That's one thing I like about goodreads is it keeps track of them all for me.

2.) Everything. I think I've given up on liking erotic because it all seems kind of the same to me :O, but history, YA, paranormal, fairytales, suspense/thriller, American & British classics, and the one I'm most excited about:
I want to start finding writers around here who have books in our local shops and such so I can read some of their stuff and maybe somehow hopefully help them create an audience and chances for them :)
I haven't read a lot lately but I've got a library membership now so I read more. :D I go to Waterstones maybe once a month so that's an average of 24-30 books per year, and with the library I now read about 3 books every month. 

I read the Book Thief yesterday night, by the way. My friend had leant me it for a while now. 

I'm planning to read more of the same - fantasy, YA, children's. And all the pretty covers that catch my fancy.
I read 89 books last year, and this year I am trying for 90-100 if I can. I want to read anything that catches my interest. :nod:
:O Did you average two books a week? That's quite an incredible total!
It depends. I read a lot this summer, and some books I flew through while others took me a few weeks (while I read other books :lol:). Anyways, it's the best I've ever done. It also includes school reading too. :B
In the last few years, I haven't read nearly as much as when I was younger. I don't know why, it just happened. And I would like to read more, but I really don't know if I will; from May to September I work 13 hours a day, so that doesn't leave me a lot of free time. :hmm: and so when I don't work as much I want to be lazy/catch up with what I haven't done in those months, which means I don't really think about reading.

I have been reading "Winter of the World" by Ken Follett lately though (have already read Fall of Giants), and just started "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy". I also have a book by Carlos Ruis Zafon waiting back home, we'll see how this goes.
Do you commute to work in between those 13 hours? I get a lot of my reading down on public transport when I'm short on time. Although of course, I do know what it's like to not feel like reading on public transport as well when you're so tired. But it's one way to squeeze in some reading.

I'm definitely picking up 'The hitchhiker's guide" at some point as well, since it's a book that lots of people know and I'm happily ignorant of its popularity. :B
Sadly, I live like twenty meters from where I work. :XD: but yeah. I did a lot of my studying on public transport when I went to school, so I agree on that. :giggle:

Yeah, I heard a lot of people say it's really awesome, for a very long time, so I decided I had to eventually, and then my fiancé gave it to me for Christmas.
That's good- since working 13 hour days and extra time for commuting can be quite draining. Are you the type to read before going to bed or wake up in the morning to read? That's another way. :B

Yeah, I think Christmas presents will be the only way to persuade me to read certain books. :B
Indeed! And it is without commuting, too. :faint:
Before going to bed, I am, but when I work I'm so exhausted that I fall asleep as soon as I touch the pillow. :XD: maybe I could try when I wake up in the morning.
uhm...around 40 me too...the genre are various...epic-fantasy-western(The Dark Tower), scientific(some physic lesson), philosophic(Unamuno and Proust and if i can some from sartre), classic(like medea)...and something less impegnative like verne or Pennac...
Sounds like some good varied reading! :)
1. At least 12 -- one per month. It'll likely be a lot more than that once I get into the habit of it.
2. Contemporary classics!
1. You did that last year as well! Did you manage to read a book a month?

2. Define contemporary classics? :B
No. :B Thus the re-resolution.

Things like Fahrenheit 451, To Kill A Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies...school reading lists of books that don't date back to the 1800s. :lol:
I read 62 books this year. I don't really care how many I read next year, I will read as many as I feel like reading.

But I do want to read less in English. I should read at least one French or German book for every English book I read. Maybe every other.
62!? Wow. :faint: How did you manage to find time to read that much?

Reading books in other languages is definitely quite a worthy resolution! Would you read the translations of books that were published in English, or books that were originally published in their native language?
It's what I do in my free time, when I'm not on the internet.

I prefer to read books in their original languages. Reading translations from English seems kind of pointless, as I can understand it far better in English. I have done it though, when I felt like reading trash, but I knew I would get fed up with the terrible writing. It didn't help much, but at least I learned some words from it.