Closed to new replies
December 31, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 38

Book-Reading Resolutions

:iconjulietcaesar:
julietcaesar Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Last year, I read about 31-32 books. This year, I hope to make that 40. Over that year, I spanned from reading popular YA fiction to literary fiction and classics to Asian writers to nonfiction (psychology, philosophy and history). This year, I hope to delve more into genre fiction (such as crime, which I've never read in my life) and short story collections.

So,

1. How many books are you planning to read for 2013?
2. What types of books are you planning to read for 2013?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconserene-gemini:
serene-gemini Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
Last year I read approximately 48 novels, however I also read what I'd consider to be an unhealthy amount of fan-fiction.
I would like to 55-60 novels in 2013. As for genera, I'd like to read more non-fiction history books, but I'm a sucker for scifi and fantasy and romance.
:iconkrissygalaxis:
krissygalaxis Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student General Artist
I don't make resolutions, but I do plan to read a lot this year.

I have all of Vincent Di Fates books, a handful on Color and color theory (because I am almost certain I am not going to learn anything from my color class this spring), a couple of books with pulp fiction short stories, and very large hand full of art and anatomy books.
:iconthethirdcartel:
theThirdCartel Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
I took the Goodreads reading challenge last year and read fifty-six books, half of which were non-fiction, a fact of which I'm really proud (not to mention that I learned a lot as well.) I've dialed it back this year since I'll be busier, but plan to tackle some books that have been on my reading list for a while, some classics, and some French books.
:iconronin356:
Ronin356 Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
Damn it, I will finish the Complete Conan. For the love of all things holy!
:icontwipplestoast:
twipplestoast Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013   Writer
Er.....well, I do read, but I like to read a book slowly to really absorb it's content, rater than just zipping through it. But I typically like to read books written in the old english format, i.e. Narnia and Lord of the Rings, and only fantasy. I'm a nerd for fantasy. My resolution is to simply finish reading 'The Hobbit' before the second installment of the movie is relased. xD (I tend to read four books at a time rofl)
:iconworldwar-tori:
WorldWar-Tori Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013   General Artist
1.) My goal is to read 50 books.
That's one thing I like about goodreads is it keeps track of them all for me.

2.) Everything. I think I've given up on liking erotic because it all seems kind of the same to me :O, but history, YA, paranormal, fairytales, suspense/thriller, American & British classics, and the one I'm most excited about:
I want to start finding writers around here who have books in our local shops and such so I can read some of their stuff and maybe somehow hopefully help them create an audience and chances for them :)
:iconexillior:
Exillior Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I haven't read a lot lately but I've got a library membership now so I read more. :D I go to Waterstones maybe once a month so that's an average of 24-30 books per year, and with the library I now read about 3 books every month. 

I read the Book Thief yesterday night, by the way. My friend had leant me it for a while now. 

I'm planning to read more of the same - fantasy, YA, children's. And all the pretty covers that catch my fancy.
:iconthe-theory-liz:
The-Theory-Liz Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I read 89 books last year, and this year I am trying for 90-100 if I can. I want to read anything that catches my interest. :nod:
julietcaesar Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
:O Did you average two books a week? That's quite an incredible total!
:iconthe-theory-liz:
The-Theory-Liz Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
It depends. I read a lot this summer, and some books I flew through while others took me a few weeks (while I read other books :lol:). Anyways, it's the best I've ever done. It also includes school reading too. :B
:iconthemaideninblack:
TheMaidenInBlack Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
In the last few years, I haven't read nearly as much as when I was younger. I don't know why, it just happened. And I would like to read more, but I really don't know if I will; from May to September I work 13 hours a day, so that doesn't leave me a lot of free time. :hmm: and so when I don't work as much I want to be lazy/catch up with what I haven't done in those months, which means I don't really think about reading.

I have been reading "Winter of the World" by Ken Follett lately though (have already read Fall of Giants), and just started "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy". I also have a book by Carlos Ruis Zafon waiting back home, we'll see how this goes.
Do you commute to work in between those 13 hours? I get a lot of my reading down on public transport when I'm short on time. Although of course, I do know what it's like to not feel like reading on public transport as well when you're so tired. But it's one way to squeeze in some reading.

I'm definitely picking up 'The hitchhiker's guide" at some point as well, since it's a book that lots of people know and I'm happily ignorant of its popularity. :B
Sadly, I live like twenty meters from where I work. :XD: but yeah. I did a lot of my studying on public transport when I went to school, so I agree on that. :giggle:

Yeah, I heard a lot of people say it's really awesome, for a very long time, so I decided I had to eventually, and then my fiancÚ gave it to me for Christmas.
That's good- since working 13 hour days and extra time for commuting can be quite draining. Are you the type to read before going to bed or wake up in the morning to read? That's another way. :B

Yeah, I think Christmas presents will be the only way to persuade me to read certain books. :B
Indeed! And it is without commuting, too. :faint:
Before going to bed, I am, but when I work I'm so exhausted that I fall asleep as soon as I touch the pillow. :XD: maybe I could try when I wake up in the morning.
:iconnenril-tf:
Nenril-Tf Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
uhm...around 40 me too...the genre are various...epic-fantasy-western(The Dark Tower), scientific(some physic lesson), philosophic(Unamuno and Proust and if i can some from sartre), classic(like medea)...and something less impegnative like verne or Pennac...
Sounds like some good varied reading! :)
:iconnenril-tf:
Nenril-Tf Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
:iconliliwrites:
LiliWrites Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
1. At least 12 -- one per month. It'll likely be a lot more than that once I get into the habit of it.
2. Contemporary classics!
1. You did that last year as well! Did you manage to read a book a month?

2. Define contemporary classics? :B
:iconliliwrites:
LiliWrites Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
No. :B Thus the re-resolution.

Things like Fahrenheit 451, To Kill A Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies...school reading lists of books that don't date back to the 1800s. :lol:
:icondefor:
DeFor Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Student
I read 62 books this year. I don't really care how many I read next year, I will read as many as I feel like reading.

But I do want to read less in English. I should read at least one French or German book for every English book I read. Maybe every other.
62!? Wow. :faint: How did you manage to find time to read that much?

Reading books in other languages is definitely quite a worthy resolution! Would you read the translations of books that were published in English, or books that were originally published in their native language?
DeFor Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Student
It's what I do in my free time, when I'm not on the internet.

I prefer to read books in their original languages. Reading translations from English seems kind of pointless, as I can understand it far better in English. I have done it though, when I felt like reading trash, but I knew I would get fed up with the terrible writing. It didn't help much, but at least I learned some words from it.
Would reading books in their original language help you learn that language faster? I used to read Chinese books, but I needed the dictionary every second sentence. Not exactly the most conducive environment to enjoying the plot of a book.
DeFor Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student
It doesn't really matter what language it was in originally. The plot can be easier to follow if you've read it before in English. But I think you might get a better sense of the culture, and the way they think (and through that, get more out of the language?) if you read it in the original language.
Yeah, because every language has its own nuances in phrasing and expression which is unique, and you can only glean its true meaning when expressed within the original context. I got that same feeling even when I'm in a foreign country like France and knowing a little of the language. Everything just seemed more interesting and alive to me when I understood the words that they say, and even the gestures that accompany it.
DeFor Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student
Of course things are more interesting when you can understand some of what's being said.
They're usually good about translating nuances and expressions. They find something roughly equivalent, or they add others where they fit. But the plot, characters, actions, and atmosphere are always going to be influenced by the original language and culture.
:iconamurderofcrowws:
amurderofcrowws Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Student General Artist
Heh, I just started a reading journal last month, and have both bought a received a heap of books to enjoy this year. Read last month: Interview with the Vampire Perfume Watership Down(currently reading) Books to read next: Dracula Frankenstein A Clockwork Orange The Invisible Man Haunted(Not yet purchased) And more as I find them! If I'm vigilant, I can get though most books in a week. :D
I'm thinking of starting a reading journal myself as well, since I read so much now! :P Lots of classics in your list, I can see! :nod: Do you like classics?
:iconamurderofcrowws:
amurderofcrowws Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Student General Artist
I feel like they're something I need to experience, I couldn't say if I like them or not yet. XD But I can usually trust them to be decent reads, and more mature. :D I tried a few older horror classics when I was younger, but the language made it almost impossible to read, so I'm trying a few of them again now. I did a poor job of reading last year, so this year should be awesome. :D
Yeah, I've been hoping the older I get, the more I am tolerant to reading classics that I previously ditched because I was bored/didn't understand. :B I agree that they should be something to experience, because a great deal of Western culture rests on the literary canon.
:icondorianharper:
DorianHarper Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional Writer
As many as I can! I was in 8 literature courses last year for my final year of university and I had to read a novel a week for them (after which we had to write an essay on them), so I didn't have much time to do any pleasure reading for myself. Now that I've graduated, I'm going to be able to read for myself again!

I got at least 20 books at the Boston Book Fest and Boston Teen Author Fest this year and haven't started any of them yet. So, I definitely at least want to read them this year :D I'll also be doing a lot of research for current writing projects, so probably about another 10 at least books for that... so, shooting for probably around 30-40 books this year.

Most of them will probably be history for the research, but the rest are all currently YA (since I haven't really read any YA in a good few years).
Oh, I know the days. :B I did an elective in English and had to read a lot of stuff in a short span of time. But then again, it did make me read the Iliad on a 16 hour car trip interstate. :XD:

30-40 books is a pretty reasonable haul of reading, when balancing other activities in your life. :nod: I confess I didn't read books consistently throughout the year but mostly in binges during the long summer break and winter break, with the exception of YA, which I can devour in like two days max in between university assignments. :B

Good luck with your reading! Seems like you've got a good mix of reading in there!
:icondorianharper:
DorianHarper Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional Writer
Haha :XD: I would have been fine with it, but I also had 3 writing classes on top of it that I had to write 15-20 pages a week for (on top of editing people's stories every week). Bleck! SO glad university is over!

Thank you! :la: I'm looking forward to reading some of these actually!
I've only just started uni! Well, okay, I've done a year, but it's a five-year double-degree. :XD: And I'm supposedly squeezing the majority of this stuff since my double-degree has nothing to do with lit. :B So I may be feeling the stress, trying to keep my own resolutions for writing and reading without being motivated by classes. :B

:la:
:icontakenight:
takenight Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Student Writer
could you post a list of your reading list for 2012 past and planned ones for 2013, i'm trying to read more and you're so inspiring rach!
Luckily, I have been keeping a list haha!

2012 Reading List

:bulletgreen: Inheritance- Christopher Paolini
:bulletgreen: Social Intelligence- Daniel Goleman
:bulletgreen: Benjamin Button & 3 other short stories- F. Scott Fitzgerald
:bulletgreen: The Great Gatsby- F. Scott Fitzgerald
:bulletgreen: House of Silk- Anthony Horowitz
:bulletgreen: Authority and the Individual- Bertrand Russell
:bulletgreen: Romulus, My Father- Raimond Gaita
:bulletgreen: 1Q84- Haruki Murakami
:bulletgreen: Anansi Boys- Neil Gaiman
:bulletgreen: Notes from Underground- Fyodor Dostoevsky
:bulletgreen: What is History? -E.H Carr
:bulletgreen: The Ascent of Money- Niall Ferguson
:bulletgreen: Gittinomics- Ross Gittins
:bulletgreen: History of the World in 100 Objects- Neil MacGregor
:bulletgreen: The Iliad- Homer
:bulletgreen: Ransom- David Malouf
:bulletgreen: Room- Emma Donoghue
:bulletgreen: Clockwork Angel- Cassandra Clare
:bulletgreen: Clockwork Prince- Cassandra Clare
:bulletgreen: Book of Clouds- Chloe Aridjis
:bulletgreen: The Sense of an Ending- Julian Barnes
:bulletgreen: Artemis Fowl: The Last Guardian- Eoin Colfer
:bulletgreen: The People's Republic- Robert Muchamore
:bulletgreen: Piano Lessons- Anna Goldsworthy
:bulletgreen: Blackwater Moon- B. Michael Radburn
:bulletgreen: Brave New World- Alduos Huxley
:bulletgreen: All Quiet on the Western Front- Erich Maria Remarque
:bulletgreen: Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that can't Stop Talking- Susan Cain
:bulletgreen: The Time Keeper- Mitch Albom
:bulletgreen: The Library Book- Reading Agency publication

2013 Reading List

:bulletgreen: The Artist of Disappearance- Anita Desai

Reading
:bulletyellow: Wind-Up Bird Chronicle- Haruki Murakami
:bulletyellow: Tea in the Library- Annette Freeman
:bulletyellow: Lunatic Soup- Andrew Fraser

In my Library Borrowing Pile At The Moment
:bulletred: The Thief- Fuminori Nakamura
:bulletred: Astray- Emma Donoghue
:bulletred: The Boat- Nam Le
:bulletred: Nocturnes- Kazuo Ishiguro
:bulletred: On Writing- Stephen King
:bulletred: Dissonace- Stephen Orr
:bulletred: The Elephant Vanishes- Haruki Murakami
:bulletred: When You are Engulfed in Flames- David Sedaris

I have a massive bias towards Asian authors :lol:. I don't know, but I find them more interesting than Western-based writers sometimes.

For crime, I'm probably gonna take a stab at reading Stieg Larsson's trilogy, Stephen King, Jo Nesbo and whatever crime novels I stumble across whilst shelving. Which is pretty often. xD Maybe I might post another thread asking for crime recommendations. I have no idea whether I might like crime, so that's going to be interesting. :B

For short story collections, there's the one by Nam Le listed above and 'The Elephant Vanishes' by Haruki Murakami, also 'Nocturnes' by Kazuo Ishiguro and 'The Artist of Disappearance' by Anita Desai which I just finished and was quite an intrguing read. Her book falls under 'novellas' though which are such a rare breed to find on the shelves. Otherwise, I'm probably going to read Arthur C. Clarke and Philip K. Dick for sci-fi short fiction as well.

And I forgot to mention, but I am going to read one Terry Pratchett novel at least since everyone keeps bugging me to read him. :P

My list is going to be unpredictable because most of the books I select are books that I pick off trolleys whilst I'm returning books to the shelves. :P
Add a Comment: