Closed to new replies
December 29, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 17

What do you think makes a good book?

:iconjinyuu:
Jinyuu Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Filmographer
I want to write a book, but short on ideas. So, what do you love to read? Do you thrive off adventure or, cry onto the pages for a lost of a character? What do You think makes a good book?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You know, it's much more important to decide what you want to read. Answering that question will be much more useful in determining what sort of book you'd like to write. Nevertheless, there are some generalties I would share. I believe that the best stories do three things: one, show you something you've never seen before, two, teach you a lesson, and three, most importantly, entertain. Personally, the stories I like to read are works of speculative fiction with highly original settings, and plots that tend more towards action than intrigue or romance. However, I'm painfully aware that there is a huge market for books with no appreciable world-building and with plots that gravitate entirely towards intrigue and/or romance. After all, The Cloud Roads by Martha Wells (and one of my favorite books) has not done nearly as well as George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones series.

Don't make the mistake of writing something just because you think it will sell. If you want to make money, you can write three or four formulaic romance novels a year, and you'll almost certainly come to hate writing after that. No, write the sort of book that you like. You can determine a target audience later. Also, if you're just getting into writing novels, I recommend you read this article, by Randy Ingermanson: [link] Ingermanson has been instrumental in teaching me how to write.

No matter what you choose, from one writer to another, I wish you luck.
:iconjamzybunny:
Jamzybunny Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Student General Artist
If you have lots of characters, make sure they have different traits and abilities. If you have two characters that are similar and aren't very big in the story, you could combine them.
:icondanwishfire:
danwishfire Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think all the little things make a book really good. I love it when the plot is really set outside and the characters are mysterious and deep. Books with long travels in them. (Into The Wild, LOTR, The Hobbit etc)

(sorry for my english)
:iconmemnalar:
Memnalar Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
Editing.
:iconnofaithinbrooklynxx:
NoFaithInBrooklynxx Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I've written many short stories, glad to here your considering making one. I think it's good to have a genera of characters. You know different personalty's and didn't story's behind them, apposed to all of them girls who all are happy to were maybe one was adopted after her parents were abducted and another character who has a opposite life and gets everything they want. I like different characters with a lot of different personalty's. Also story twist , throw the people off and make something happen that you. I r readers didn't expect. That's just my opinion id love to read your story!
:iconxxanemia:
XXAnemia Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
Beautiful writing style!
Chuck Palahniuk is my all time favorite writer, half the time i have no idea what he's on about but the way he puts words together... FUCK THAT MAN IS A WRITING GOD
:iconallibw:
allibw Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist
i heared this once and think its soo true, i always keep it in mind when im writting. when it comes to bad guys the best ones always think there the good guys. And also everyone wants a relatable character. and the relationship between characters is important. when i read I want to escape. i want to trade in my problems with the problems in the book im reading.Books that create an experiance,play with emotion,and have a bit of philosophy that just makes you wonder.. are the type for me. honestly the end makes a book good or bad. im not saying you have to have a happy ending to make a good book. cuz you dont it.i tend to like my endings a little conflicted. becouse in most of the books ive read the characters went through alot.so they will never the same people they where at the beggining. i also love seeing all the different sides of the supernatural.- good luck with ur story.
:iconneutrastaff:
NeutraStaff Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
Think about cliff hangers as well. Though a lot of people do not like them because it leaves them wanting to know more about the in-conclusion at the ending, it opens the possibility of you making a sequel and stretching the story out more.
:icontwipplestoast:
twipplestoast Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012   Writer
A good book to me is something that we haven't seen before, especially fantasy. I think we already get the idea of vampires vs. werewolves and that they hate each other. Vampires are lovers and suck blood, and werewolves are humans who turn all fuzzy during a full moon. As well as witches and wizards. They wave magic around, woooo. Create something that hasn't been exhausted like the above.

Take the risk that others are afraid to take. Read the negitive reviews of popular books and see what it is the people wanted to see but didn't get. Regardless of your style, your writing - though I feel like I fail at this - should be able to paint a picture in people's mind, rather than control what they see.

The characters should connect to the reader; make them lovable. What drives the character to act, what are his weeknesses, the people who have influenced him. No one likes to read a story where the character, especially the main character, is depressed all the time and a druggy suicidel emo - lest they can relate, but that's a very small audience. If a major character is suppose to die, make sure that beforehand the character is well loved by the reader and that his/her death isn't meaningless. It adds a great sense of feeling and true loss to the story.

Don't give all the plot out at once. Try to stretch it out: add twists, reveal the truths and, or, lies of the story (depending), but don't exhaust the plot by repeating already known facts.

Again, something we have never seen before. There've been hundreds, if not, thousands of people's takes on already exsisting ideas/plots.
:iconcherryblossomgeisha:
CherryBlossomGeisha Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
unpredicatbility, it makes things all the more interesting.. not many books have that nowadays.. they have a repetitive pattern..
not only that, but the actual plot of the story should be key too. ^_^
Add a Comment: