Love Triangles?

So I've seen a lot of comments like, "I hate love triangles!" on forums. And yet, books with love triangles continue to be very popular. So, as readers: why do you love (or hate) love triangles in books?

Also, "well, I like them if they're done well but not if they're done poorly" is a cop-out answer. Nobody likes anything that's done poorly. That's a no-brainer.

If you like them: what do you think they add to the story? Or are they only a good plot for strictly romance books?

If you hate them: why do they irk you? Do you like other types of romantic plots?
Comments41
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I dislike triangles because they're seriously overused and unimaginative. It's like, need emotional drama? Throw in a love triangle. Need to fill out a couple chapters? Love triangle. Need a B subplot? Love triangle. How about introducing a new character? I smell a love triangle!

Give me break.
If it was a TRUE love triangle, then the solution would be obvious.

Threesome time. :horny:

But, since romance seems like an especially strong subplot in YA, I doubt that either true triangles nor threesomes will appear. One of these days, someone needs to write an actual love triangle. Most of what I see is either a V or a polygon that got punched in a face and cracked a few times.
Stories require conflict, or else most of the audience will wander off. Love triangles are one way of providing such, with the extra added benefit of a potential, "Boy, I wish that were me!" reader insert.

While some genres (such as romance and chick lit) are built around this trope, and others (e.g. supernatural fantasy and space opera) have been willing to embrace it, how well it works ultimately depends on striking the right balance between the reader's expectations and the writer's skill.
I don't like them, and I have a feeling the people that do love to indulge in real-life petty drama as well. Then again, I don't really like romance in the books I read in the first place. If it's there, I would prefer it to be minimal and not a huge component of the narrative.
:$ I don't like them; I think they're WAY overused, and pretty boring, especially in YA. You know, the girl is always caught between Mr. Snarky Mysterious Smirker and Mr. Nice But Boring...the triangle is never approached from any other angle. (Like, what if the main character was one of the 2 points? or, you know, if the two guys had actual personalities? Or if it was an actual triangle and not a V? grrr.)

But then again, I don't really like romance in general, so maybe I'm biased?
You're like the third person to bring up the "V" thing. It's really got me thinking--someone needs to write a love story with a real, properly geometric triangle; everybody after everybody else.
YES, they really do :$ I mean, why even call it a triangle if it's really one person trying to choose between 2 others. A real triangle would be nice.
There's probably a book with a real one out there ((:
I personally don't think books are bought just for the love triangles, but for the "bigger" picture: what came before that. Like Hunger Games. Though I can't stand the series (don't ask me why), it was a success because of the general idea. Then came Peeta vs. Gale over Katniss. According to the reviews, people hated this triangle, mostly because it was a distraction from the plot (but the plot became watered down towards the end of the series anyway) - it had very little purpose in the series.

If there is going to be relationships in books, I think it would be better to tread it as it would in a real life sinario. If you fall in love with someone and he/she turnes out not to be the one, you move on to the next till the right person comes along, not bounce back and forth and toy with two people like a mad dog in heat. Overall, the love triangle is terribly overrated on a personal note; I will never read a book, or future books of a series, if a love triangle is installed. It just ruins the story for me.
ehh.. I like them, adds a little drama to it, but a lot of books use them and it gets too predictable after a while.. -_-
I hate them because they're usually love V's, because all the characters are usually straight.

And I haven't found one that's written well. :P
Haha! I've never thought of that. "Love V's." So, a love triangle should be Alice loves Bob, Bob loves Carol, and Carol loves Alice? Hmm.
Why do we always have to have the "love triangle"? Seriously? Every time? Like the hero isn't facing enough adversity he/she also has to contend with a rival lover as well? It is SO overdone.
Cliche love triangles are annoying.

When it's two hot guys that go for a cute girl who can't imagine why she's pursued by two hot guys, it's just plain unrealistic yet very predictable. She goes for the charismatic knight-in-shining armor guy who treats her nicer who she properly met FIRST (if she's the nice girl type), even though she's darkly attracted to the bad guy which every female reader seems to prefer. And who reads about two hot girls fighting over a cute guy? That'd be a terrible read. Just watch The Bachelor.

What I would love to read about is an LGBT love triangle between just girls or just guys, or maybe with a transgender thrown in there. Not just a girl and a guy fighting over a girl (or guy), with the person of the same sex successfully seducing the poor sap caught up in the conflict. Hopefully that would NOT be predictable in the slightest.
I am all for more LGBT fiction. I myself am...marginally bi, I guess? But I'm mostly straight, and it'd be cool to read a book that explores the dynamics of a three-lesbian friendship that evolves into something more. Or a gay-man trio.

Trying to think of a book involving two girls and one guy. I can really only think of movies, like My Best Friend's Wedding, and even that is still from the girl's point of view.
Awesome! I'm lesbian, and I really enjoy a solid LGBT-related story. There's a good amount of LGBT fiction if you go look for it, but not nearly enough ideas have been explored. I can name a couple lesbian-themed TV series (The L Word and also Girl/Girl Scene) that have love triangles and more complicated setups. I just haven't read that many stories that have them.
This isn't a love-triangle, but I really love this LGBT story. I dunno, for some reason its' really stuck with me. [link]
That one's lovely :) I think I've read Aubrey Hirsch before...
:aww: She has a book coming out soon.
What's it called? I'll be sure to check it out :D
View all replies
~Nenril-Tf is right in saying that love-triangles are overused, however; I'd like to point out that it's only now that they're overdone.

In my opinion, love-triangles are a great story-telling element. When a hero and/or heroine has the chance to love one or the other it gets the reader more involved because suddenly they have a choice... "Who do I want he or she to end up with?" :iconawkwardplz:

The best example of this is Gaston Leroux's The Phantom of the Opera. My mother has a HUGE thing for Raoul. She thinks he's simply perfect with his goody-two shoes attitude. She thinks the Phantom is evil for his trickery & overall mistreatment of Christine.

My argument always plays out to where I eventually scream, "BUT HE DID EVERYTHING FOR HER!" :iconsupertighthugplz:
Haha! I am not delving into any Phantom-related shipping arguments, no sir!
I like them if they are well written and interesting. But, we don't see that very often anymore. Darn Twilight ruined romance for us all. :stinkeye:
What did you think of Katniss/Gale/Peeta in The Hunger Games?
I thought that it was done better than the one in Twilight. It was still pretty generic; hot bad boy sort, hot sweet boy, etc. I felt as if the book would have been more interesting from Peeta's point of view; Katniss isn't that interesting of a character. She has no drive, just SURVIVAL. So, better than Twilight, but still a little cliche. Yup. What about you? What did you think of The Hunger Games vs. Twilight? And what's your favorite love triangle?