Details

Closed to new replies
December 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7
:iconstarvingartistkei:
StarvingArtistKei Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
Hey y'all, I'm looking for some new book recommendations. Here's some of the books I enjoy:

John Dies at the End (and the sequel)
House of Leaves
Catch-22
Fight Club
works by Kurt Vonnegut
100 Years of Solitude
Life of Pi
City of Thieves
The Elephant Vanishes (Haruki Murakami's short stories)

Thanks!!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpixieworld:
Pixieworld Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy
Jurassic park, Lost World, Prey, any thing by Michael Crichton
:iconshiro-nekou:
Shiro-Nekou Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
The Inkheart Trilogy is an AMAZING series.By far my Favourite *O*

Other books that are also really good:
Artemis Fowl (Series)
Charlie Bone (Series)
Shipwrecked
Gone (Series)
Things Not Seen
Inheritance Cycle
:iconsambev:
Sambev Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Based on the books you mentioned, here are some books I've read that I thought were awesome which you may like:
Battle Royale by Koushun Takami
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Kindred by Octavia Butler

I tried to read House of Leaves because I was studying postmodernist literature in college and I get the impression that it's a really powerful contribution to the genre, but I didn't get all the way through it. I think I'm going to start from the beginning and see if my attention span holds out better. Was it awesome?
:iconstarvingartistkei:
StarvingArtistKei Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
House of Leaves was really awesome. You need to be able to devote some time and attention to it (this isn't a light read, as I'm sure you already found) but it's really worth it. The PoMo typesetting might seem a little gimmicky, until you realize how very effective it is at conveying the narrative. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

(I can't, on the other hand, recommend other works by the author. Only Revolutions was completely inscrutable and barely interesting.)
:iconsambev:
Sambev Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
All the typesetting elements in the 1/4th or so that I'd read seemed effective. The book was recommended to me because I was looking for metafictional poMo novels with hypertext for part of my BA thesis and House of Leaves is supposed to be one of the best contemporary examples of it. I think I'll give the book another go now that I'm out of school and can take my time with it. Thanks :D
:iconnenril-tf:
Nenril-Tf Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Superwoobinda by NOVE (it is veryveryvery strong...more than Fight Club)
American Psycho by Breat Easton Ellis
Fahrenite 451 by Bradbury
1984 by Orwell
Il fu Mattia Pascal by Pirandello
:iconrevampyre:
revampyre Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Redeeming Grace by Erin Sinnott is a really REALLY well written and touching story. I got it not that long ago and have read it twice already. I highly recommend!
Add a Comment: