Spider-Man Is dead in Amazing Spider-Man 699? Fo, real, yo.

So yeah, you probably heard. Anyone like this idea?
Comments59
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
It's a bit more nuanced than that. Apparently, Otto Octavius (a.k.a. Doctor Octopus) was dying, so he engineered some scheme to switch brains with Peter Parker. Peter, in Doctor Octopus's body, dies, but somehow Doctor Octopus, in Peter's body, suddenly gains access to all of Peter's memories, showing that the brain transfer was not complete. Seeing Peter's whole life in that light, Doctor Octopus was inspired, and instead of using Spiderman's body for evil, he vows to not only fight crime, but to do a better job of it than Peter ever did, thus becoming the "superior" Spiderman.

Now, I'm not abundantly familiar with comics in general or Spiderman specifically, but I know that in comic books, few things are quite as temporary as the death of a superhero. This one example has a particularly easy retcon capability. After everyone gets tired of seeing Doctor Octopus trying to be Spiderman (which sounds like a pretty interesting story premise, actually), they could just say, "oh, Peter Parker's original memories and personality completely regenerated and deleted the Doctor Octopus persona from his brain," thus effectively returning Peter Parker to the role of Spider Man once again.

To tell you the truth, I was more offended by that one time they decided to let Spiderman be a black kid for a while. Like all such gimmickery, it was just a bizzarre plot twist to raise interest and sales, but this time they did it under the banner of racial equality. I found such a sentiment to be utterly false and pretensious. Of course they weren't going to let Spiderman be black forever. I knew, sure as anything, that before long Peter Parker would come back to life and we'd never hear from that black kid again. With that in mind, for them to suggest that they were being "progressive" or whatever came across as apallingly insincere. By the way, does anybody know how they retconned that? I remember hearing about it, but I never heard how they changed it back.
The idea sounds fine. The creepy parts with Aunt May and MJ are another issue. I was hoping for Otto to be well, in a stronger body, Peter to have his body, and them to go down in that kind of fight. Well, in this case 'brains' Ottos won to Spidey's bronze (powers).

Yeah, totally just having a random person be Peter was rude. I hoped Kenny Kong who could have worked out to gain more weight, maybe the spider power's gave him more IQ to surpass Peter or what not, would work rather than just some new character.
It's going to be interesting having Ock in Peter's body....

Considering that Ock tried to romanced and wed Peter's Aunt May.
(In the 70s, I think)
Wasn't Hawkeye and the Human Torch killed as well...only to be brought back.

Again, this is why I don't read spiderman. Even though they have the best creative team for that book.
Not sure. Ever since "BND" and such, haven't been really following the line as well
Why are you guys hating so much? OR COURSE Peter will be back. Does that mean we can't enjoy the story for itself? They've been setting up for this for a while now (like 100 issues since ock got sick?), and the writer seems genuinely enthusiastic about having a spider-man that people consider a menace again. The new status quo is kind of interesting. Enough that I might actually buy a few issues next time I'm at the shop. Just relax about it an enjoy the ride. There are more than two emotions in life. You don't need to be either ANGRY or CYNICAL. You're all like a bunch of winey kids complaining "are we there yet."
I just find it very creepy with Aunt May and MJ. The idea is intriguing, just how it's played out. ^^ Just someone said they killed of Peter almost every arc so far.
Notice how Peter Parker is dead in every continuity.
Really? I only heard of 2 of them so far he's died in.
Why kill off Spider-Man if only to replace him? Why not just focus on building new and interesting characters that reflect modern senses? I honestly respect that Marvel and DC have these iconic, but they should really reclaim that thunder of creating new and excited characters like they did in the 60's. Don't give us new Spider-Men. What we need are more new guys like Kick Ass.
There were many issues with it to be a truly digified death. I think the 90's one with Ock saving Spidey for his own pride alot better, though he 'died' cuz of Kaine.
I'm sure MJ's reaction could be something like this if it were a song.

Fast or slow version of Tamia's- "Stranger." Seems to suit very well.

[link]

Very solemn. Since lyrics are copyrighted, not sure I can post them. Basically, she's saying this guy looks like him, act likes him, but she doesn't know who is. He acts diffently, hence the 'stranger'. So she starts quizzing him.

Or the faster one with tension:

The screaming odd sound reminds me of Ock's tentacles for some reason. It's "Hex Hector" Remix. Oldie. I heard it in 2003.

[link]

I used this song for a story idea years ago, for KC inspiration. But really, these fit very well to this mood.

Anyone else have other mood songs to fit this? I know there is a moving comic to the tribute to Spidey in Ult!. It's been what about 2 years, I don't think Peter is coming back in that.
Not sure if gusta.
It's another cheap way to get in the newspapers.

Dan Slott has become a complete hack. Not just because of this story, but a lot of the arcs preceding it, especially Ends of the Earth. Dan Slott can't write established characters because he's a pretentious nimrod who thinks his direction is the word of god. However, he's a good enough writer where when he deals with lesser known and established characters i.e. Avengers Initiative I actually really enjoyed a lot of that book. Marvel should just leave him to that stuff. Someone needs to fix Spider-man. I'd say bring Straczynski back but he was partly responsible for OMD...
I thought Queseda was the person who brought about the fiasco?
Quesada was the main d-bag, but Straczynski, Bendis, and Slott all had parts in the creation/development of it in addition to Straczynski writing it.
Too bad they couldn't retcon it without magic.

I mean really, MJ togeather with Doc Parker? 0o
Yeah...pretty messed up. And then there's the whole thing that its rape if she only gets with him because she thinks its peter, has the MJ fans flipping out. MJ fans actually seem to be more livid about these events than the Peter Parker fans.
I'm majorly creeped out about that. If Spidey's dead, he won't suffer knowing if Ock did that. He could come back anyhow. It has two flaws so far, the May and Otto 'sex' scene that is implied, which she's an old biddie, that wouldn't and this one. I heard a third about dying alone and no one will know.

Otto's 'conversion' was something good so far, though his ego is still there.
They're probably going to do their best to avoid that all together. Somehow all this is gonna get retconned I just know it. My local comic shop said he's already lost 50% of the expected spiderman sales since the beginning of the final ASM arc. I'm assuming its a combination of the leak, the weak story telling, and the fan backlash. Hopefully sooner rather than later, Marvel will come to its senses and realize that Spider-man isn't what people bought the books for, its Peter Parker. I also firmly believe no matter what crap their spewing about this being the future of Spider-man that they have no true intention of having Sp-ock be a permanent change. "Bigger badder darker" is so gimmicky and can only last so long...
View all replies
Don't care, since this just screams gimmickry. I haven't been reading since One More Day, anyway.
Yup, its a way to get in the newspapers, i.e. free advertising because unlike TV and movies comics don't get ways to advertise to large masses.