Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 107

Worst COMIC BOOK mistakes (art, dialog, narration, overall plot ect)

:iconcreativelycreative:
CreativelyCreative Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012
What just... gets you when you are reading a comic, what problems do you immediately notice and what are they? This can be ranging from art to the writing itself to the overall storyline / arc. Most of all, why does it bother you and how frequently do comicbooks make this (or these) mistakes.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconanghorkheng:
anghorkheng Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Hi, guys...I can see so many different opinions regarding comic and its storytelling styles/ influences...hope you guys can also let me know what you think about my short comic here:
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
You have a panel showing some fast action. Perhaps it's Spiderman throwing a punch. And it's PACKED with dialogue, when for the action shown there can't possibly be time to say all that.

And who talks that much when they're fighting, other than brief trash talk? It's the wrong time for a stream of clever witticisms.
CreativelyCreative Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013
only spiderman :) you didn't know? spiders have amazing trashtalk ability too.
:iconmikethemerciless:
Mikethemerciless Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Continually killing characters off only to bring them back to life later on.
:iconmyimmortal-manga:
MyImmortal-Manga Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The plotlines don't bother me per-say its the names that start with the same letter as the Last Name etc Peter Parker but some of the comics books are ok but it does ask questions such as why could superman not fly and stuff in the very beginning of the first chapter rather than later on?
:iconbennihana:
bennihana Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013
Every time Marvel hires John Romita Jr. for something. Ive skipped issues due to my distaste in his style over the past twenty years. Just not a fan.
:iconcajunattack:
cajunattack Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Professional General Artist
Artwork where you can't distinguish between characters other than their clothes
Script/dialog that you can't distinguish between characters and they all seem to talk in the same 'voice'.
Pop trivia references thrown in at every available opportunity
Arbitrary swearing/sexual references/violence when it's unnecessary to the storyline
'Adult' comics that try desperately hard to be 'Adult' comics yet descend into the same tawdry juvenile subject matter they originally wanted to distance themselves from.

See: Y the Last Man.
:iconrainbowkitty777:
rainbowkitty777 Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
> When the comic book is one long scene. Bonus points if it carries over to the next comics.
> Over-emphasis on text. It removes the impact of the text, and looks bad. A simple 'Go!' or 'Go!!!' is fine. I don't want 'Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'.
> Panels that run into each other with no border separating them. It's fine for beginnners, but when it's published like so, that's where things take a nose dive.
> Comics that are too lighthearted that are meant to be not. If it's meant to be dark, MAKE IT DARK. GEEZ.
> Stereotyping. 'Nuff said.
> Panels not being used effectively for emphasis It just seems so... bland that way.
CreativelyCreative Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013
thank you. added alot to my list.
:iconrainbowkitty777:
rainbowkitty777 Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
No problem!
:icontakatake:
Takatake Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
i think that first page of manga-comics has to be one of the most epic things uve ever seen. dialog doesnt matter to me as much as art, thou hook up sentence might also take attention. but cover and first page have to be epic- some mangas start of very lamely with bunch of dialog and it gets annoying.
:icontronmanz:
TronmanZ Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Joe Quesada
:icontojix:
TojiX Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013
whats wrong with JQ?
:iconrocktzar:
Rocktzar Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013
He canceled X-Men The Hidden Years.
TojiX Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013
maybe sales are low, from a business point of view that's practical.
TronmanZ Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013
One More Day
TojiX Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013
Whats wrong about it?
TronmanZ Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Amazing Spider-Man #700. As if Secret Invasion, Ultimatum and One More Day weren't bad enough, they bring out this slap to the face of a comic. This is why I gave up on Marvel Comics and became an IDW fan instead.
:iconrocktzar:
Rocktzar Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013
Yeah but all the X-men events were great.
:iconannagiladi:
AnnaGiladi Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional General Artist
I don't get sound effects in comics that do not clearly describe a certain sound, like Crash or Boing, those are clear. In Japanese manga, you get Gogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogo across the whole page, ugly, and what do I have to read 20x "go" for? Apparantly it represents tension or suspense, but does one actually ever HEAR tension? And does it go "gogogogogogogo"? Pissed me off, especially in French or other non-Japanese adaptation when it made even less sense. Distracting, ugly, and just makes no sense.
:iconspaceturtlestudios:
SpaceTurtleStudios Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Professional General Artist
Sound effects are different across language. In Japanese, dogs don't bark or say 'woof,' they say 'wan wan'. Cats say 'nyaa' instead of 'meow.' Naturally the sound effects for other things will be different. It's just a different style of writing.
AnnaGiladi Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Professional General Artist
Nya and wan are things you can hear those animals say. I mean, if it's spelled Meow or Nya, kinda sounds the same in the end. But the air, or tension, simply don't go Gogogogogogogo. Ever.
:iconspaceturtlestudios:
SpaceTurtleStudios Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Professional General Artist
The air doesn't ever go "dun dun duuuuuuun!" either, but we recognize it as a cue that something dramatic is happening. The point I'm making is that it's just a stylistic abstraction. It makes sense to the Japanese.
AnnaGiladi Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Professional General Artist
If the dun dun duuuun would be in print media, it would bother me too. Audiovisual works are enhanced by sound effects even if unnatural, but telling people in print that they need to feel a certain way about the mood, to me, is an indication that the comic artist just doesn't know how to otherwise show suspense, tension, etc. without clumsily applying audiovisual elements to print media. If you can't draw a feeling/mood, you can't draw stories. Or at least you act like you can't. For example, Nobuhiro Watsuki would have done just as great a job without resorting to that bullshit. Just that there wouldn't have been a huge string of letters printed across the image, bigger than the image itself.
:iconkythkyn:
Kythkyn Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Writer
Grant Morrison. That's a problemme I have noticed with comic books lately.
:iconberlinbuenosayres:
berlinBuenosAyres Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
what's the problem with mr morrison?
Kythkyn Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student Writer
I find most of his recent work extremely contrived, and quite often extremely boring.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
Have you ever read the script of Arkham Asylum? I swear I thought that was a decent Batman comic until I read the script and was like "okay Grant...no one would have fucking guessed that reference in a million years"
Kythkyn Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Student Writer
I haven't actually. I kind of avoid his stuff now because so many things have left a bad taste in my mouth :(
:iconberlinbuenosayres:
berlinBuenosAyres Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
i've yet to find anything boring written by him, but i get why he might seem a bit fake. he likes to go over the top, of everything.

btw, i like your avatar.
Kythkyn Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Student Writer
Different strokes for different folks, hehe. As long as you're enjoying what you're reading, doesn't really matter if others enjoy it.

And thanks! That was my kitty!
:iconjeun-chan:
jeun-chan Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
Art style is a a very big thing for me. I'm not a big fan of the hyper realistic style, and even less when despite the hyper realisme, the woman are drawn so oversexualized that they are more cartoony than realistic. Outside of the hyperrealisme style, it's really a mix and match for me.
For example: The new Hawkeye series. I love David Aja as the artist, his style really works for me. In chapter 4 for with another artist at the heel, but still the same writer and colourer, I actually had to force myself to read it, and frankly I hated the art so much I could barely read the story.
:icontrivialtales:
trivialtales Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
Too much focus on super hero comics (even if a lot are good), generic art, bad coloring, all women have ridiculous proportions, most of the nineties trying to emulate Watchmen or Dark Knight Returns and failing, which is a problem which has continued. Splash pages everywhere. Nothing but fight scenes. CROSSOVER EVENTS.
:iconronin356:
Ronin356 Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
I hate Crossover Events..they sink.
TojiX Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
The fact that Marvel no longer gives no prizes if someone can point out a boo boo in their World's greatest Comicbooks. But back then I guess they were cool, now their just another corporation like DC. And both has done major mishaps that even my 8 yr old niece can point out, too bad no more no prize.
CreativelyCreative Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
they gave prizes? never heard that
TojiX Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
way before your time kid like waaay back in the 60's up to the 80's and in the early 90's Marvel gave away no prizes for fans who can point out inconsistencies in the story and continuity.
:iconjesseacosta:
JesseAcosta Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional General Artist
Basically every move Marvel has made recently has been an uninteresting mistake. Really tired with their bland art and coloring for the most part. We are in this "hyper rendering/ultra realism = serious" phase, and it's a killer. I like artists who play a lot more with their art.
:iconronin356:
Ronin356 Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
I like an artist with a style to him/her. I used to read books in the early 90's where you could really tell who was drawing the book.
CreativelyCreative Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
I agree. Truly from the bottom of my heart, I agree.
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional Artist
...I'm torn between the recent "Superior Spider-Man" bullcrap, taking Harley Quinn away from Paul Dini so much (and even when they gave her back to him in Gotham City Sirens, they took the writing away from him to someone else...), and the horrible "Jetset Radio" knock off art style that Marvel's Runaways had for a few volumes (thankfully, they went back to what worked not too long afterward).

Oh, and the fact that the third Umbrella Academy novel was announced years ago but still hasn't seen even a possibility of finally releasing. Like as if Square Enix was handling the publishing...
CreativelyCreative Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
hehe square enix... ohhh... fun times with that comment. :) thanks for the feedback
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional Artist
Np. Also, I have an addition to my list.

Letting Paul Dini handle Spider-Man in the new Ultimate Spider-Man series was one of the worst mistakes I've ever seen. It's... it's like a car crash of bad and miscalculated decisions. Maybe he thought he could bring more obscure things to light and try to "revamp" the story, in a vein of the new movies, but oh my gosh... it's just so horrible. The writing is boilerplate and cliche, the acting is tedious, and the art style feels unoriginal and oddly static. The only good thing is more Agent Coleson.
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
[link]

THIS JUST THIS

Bad Youtube trailer too [link]

Truly shit
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Vampire hookers, that's a new one ;P
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
Very original amirite?
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Totally. =P
:iconlaurenphil-art:
LaurenPhil-Art Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
That just made me sad. :no:
:icondragonflae:
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
I think the biggest thing that ever bugged me about any comic series is the horrible first translation of the Tokyo Mew Mew manga.
CreativelyCreative Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
Talk about horrifying lol
Add a Comment: