Closed to new replies
December 22, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 47

Books That Changed/Helped Your Life

:icongloomypandabear:
GloomyPandaBear Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Has anyone else read a book that changed or helped them with life? What book was it? I have a couple: Perks of Being a Wallflower(Stephen Chbosky), The Fault In Our Stars(John Green), and Thirteen Reasons Why(Jay Asher) My friends and I got super addicted to Perks. So any books like these you've read that you got obsessed with or changed your out look on life?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkylebjart:
kylebjart Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Also Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut. Don't read the back cover, just jump straight in and I promise it is worthwhile. The ending will break your heart.
:iconkylebjart:
kylebjart Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Highly recommend Herman Hesse with Siddhartha - You will drink the words in very quickly. Follows the lifes journey of Siddhartha and buddhism in general. It will pull your brain apart and put it back together in the most wonderful way. Promise. Also check out the Mysterious Stranger by Mark Twain - if you have a Kindle or e-reading device you can pick it up for free and it is a very worthy read indeed. Inspired this freaky bit of claymation; [link]
:iconjericawinters:
JericaWinters Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
My favorite book is "7 Habits of Highly Effective People."
:iconthe-theory-liz:
The-Theory-Liz Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche
Gender Trouble by Judith Butler
Identity/Difference by William E. Connolly

Those are philosophy works, and they ALL changed my life (and the person who introduced them to me too).

In terms of works of fiction?
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury--inspired me to start writing
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle- the first chapter book I have ever read (on my own and not for school) and loved every single moment of it.
Far Afield by Susanna Kaysen--super character insights as well as some fantastic prose
War for the Oaks by Emma Bull--a personal favorite and I loved this book for so many reasons.
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman--first introduction to Gaiman, and great characters.
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens--one of the best books in the English language. Ever.
anything by William Shakespeare who, in all honesty, is a brilliant for the plays and poetry he writes.

There is only one book that has made me cry and that is "A Child Called It" by David Pelzer, and it changed me.

:iconjulietcaesar:
julietcaesar Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Always great to know another Shakespeare fan! :highfive:

I do need to try Charles Dickens though. I gave up on Great Expectations about a third of the way through. Maybe 2013 may be the year to break my Dickens drought. :B
:iconthe-theory-liz:
The-Theory-Liz Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
:la: Yay!

Try A Tale of Two Cities

A fair bit of warning, it takes TIME to get into Dickens but towards the end...you don't want to stop reading. He's a master of great characters, and I cried when I read this book. It's really good.
julietcaesar Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak changed my perception of writing forever and also my perception on life as well. To top it off, I met him and was able to tell him to that in person, and he was deeply humbled and wrote that in the autograph I obtained from him. :love:
GloomyPandaBear Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
wow that's amazing!
julietcaesar Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
:D
GloomyPandaBear Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
wow that's amazing!
Add a Comment: