Closed to new replies
December 22, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 47

Books That Changed/Helped Your Life

:icongloomypandabear:
GloomyPandaBear Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Has anyone else read a book that changed or helped them with life? What book was it? I have a couple: Perks of Being a Wallflower(Stephen Chbosky), The Fault In Our Stars(John Green), and Thirteen Reasons Why(Jay Asher) My friends and I got super addicted to Perks. So any books like these you've read that you got obsessed with or changed your out look on life?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkylebjart:
kylebjart Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Also Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut. Don't read the back cover, just jump straight in and I promise it is worthwhile. The ending will break your heart.
Highly recommend Herman Hesse with Siddhartha - You will drink the words in very quickly. Follows the lifes journey of Siddhartha and buddhism in general. It will pull your brain apart and put it back together in the most wonderful way. Promise. Also check out the Mysterious Stranger by Mark Twain - if you have a Kindle or e-reading device you can pick it up for free and it is a very worthy read indeed. Inspired this freaky bit of claymation; [link]
:iconjericawinters:
JericaWinters Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
My favorite book is "7 Habits of Highly Effective People."
:iconthe-theory-liz:
The-Theory-Liz Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche
Gender Trouble by Judith Butler
Identity/Difference by William E. Connolly

Those are philosophy works, and they ALL changed my life (and the person who introduced them to me too).

In terms of works of fiction?
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury--inspired me to start writing
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle- the first chapter book I have ever read (on my own and not for school) and loved every single moment of it.
Far Afield by Susanna Kaysen--super character insights as well as some fantastic prose
War for the Oaks by Emma Bull--a personal favorite and I loved this book for so many reasons.
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman--first introduction to Gaiman, and great characters.
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens--one of the best books in the English language. Ever.
anything by William Shakespeare who, in all honesty, is a brilliant for the plays and poetry he writes.

There is only one book that has made me cry and that is "A Child Called It" by David Pelzer, and it changed me.

:iconjulietcaesar:
julietcaesar Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Always great to know another Shakespeare fan! :highfive:

I do need to try Charles Dickens though. I gave up on Great Expectations about a third of the way through. Maybe 2013 may be the year to break my Dickens drought. :B
:iconthe-theory-liz:
The-Theory-Liz Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
:la: Yay!

Try A Tale of Two Cities

A fair bit of warning, it takes TIME to get into Dickens but towards the end...you don't want to stop reading. He's a master of great characters, and I cried when I read this book. It's really good.
julietcaesar Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak changed my perception of writing forever and also my perception on life as well. To top it off, I met him and was able to tell him to that in person, and he was deeply humbled and wrote that in the autograph I obtained from him. :love:
GloomyPandaBear Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
wow that's amazing!
julietcaesar Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
:D
GloomyPandaBear Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
wow that's amazing!
:iconallibw:
allibw Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist
I read the lovely bones last year. It waz great, for alot of different reasons. but kinda dark and sorta depressing also. me and one of my best friends read it, it waz one of those books we had been both avoiding.. but decided to read it together and we both got a copy. we had some pretty deep discussions about it. and it kinda brought us closer together. yep life changing, it deffinately waz,in fact i dont think i waz quite prepared to read it.. it didnt help me it just kind of oppened my eyes. and i did cry whill reading it.theres a movie based on it to. now I am obsessed with the hush hush series!! it has a love triangle, supernatural elements, and a female character thats easy to relate to. all the stuff that makes a teen girl novel great :).
GloomyPandaBear Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I can't wait to read that book! Sounds very interesting!
:icontwipplestoast:
twipplestoast Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012   Writer
"Michael Vey: The Prisoner of Cell 25" by Richard Paul Evans. Though I'm not too fond of the basic format and structure, the book itself, both one and two, is an awesome read. The struggles that young Michael faces as a young adult, and then having his mother (his only parent) taken away from him was really quite sad. But then how he handled it and that he wasn't going to sit down and do nothing was very uplifting. Then he discovers that he's not the only one with such powers as he has, which had caused him quite a bit of heart ache throughout his life. It just goes to show that you don't have to have a book full of violence and darkness to make it entertaining and life changing. Can't wait for book three! :la:
GloomyPandaBear Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Sounds like an amazing book!
:iconcandydechocolate:
CandyDeChocolate Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yamato Nadeshiko, Kuragehime, and Death Note :) they are all mangos, i don' know if they count as books ;P but they have change my points of view about life :)
:iconlucy-merriman:
Lucy-Merriman Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student General Artist
The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. It's a long story but...let's just say it's a book that made it okay for me not to have all the answers. Maybe we spend our whole lives asking the questions. That can be okay too.

The characters within the book are some of the most real, vulnerable, difficult people I've ever met. I think about them a lot, and I read that book years ago.

Then, ah, this is going to sound super geeky, but, ah, when I was eleven, I read the story collectionMinority Report by Philip K. Dick, and it blew my mind. It completely re-oriented me as a writer and as a thinker. Never before had I read a story where the "star" of the story is not a character, but an idea. And here was Philip K Dick with 20 such stories, with each idea more bizzarre and profound and wonderful than the last. The fun of the story was exploring the idea, seeing where these strange and sometimes terrifying thoughts could take me.

Freaking Philip K. Dick, man. Why on earth is my dream job "science journalist," huh? That--that's not practical! That's a terrible dream job! I blame Mr. Dick. And my sister, for leaving that book on the kitchen table when I was a young and impressionable youth.
GloomyPandaBear Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
They both sound like amazing books to read! Especially The Sparrow because I have a bit of an issue with having the need to know all the answers to my questions but it's not really helping me at all especially now. Anyways, thanks for commenting! I'm definitely going to read these books now :)
:iconlucy-merriman:
Lucy-Merriman Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student General Artist
You're welcome! I hope you like them :)
:iconrevampyre:
revampyre Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
The Fault in Our Stars by John Greene and Redeeming Grace by Erin Sinnott for sure. I think they are probably two of the only books that ever really touched me.
GloomyPandaBear Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
The Fault In Our Stars got me right in the feels! It didn't make me feel sad at all, just numb! The weird thing about John Green is that his books can kill your heart yet in his vlogs he seems like the happiest person in the world yet you'd expect him to be miserable. At least that's how my friends see it. Anyways, I've never heard of Redeeming Grace sounds good though. Mind giving me a bit of a review on it? :)
Sure will! It's a great piece that takes place during WWII in Germany about a young man who comes home from the war for the holidays and ends up trying to protect a young girl that had been in hiding. I don't want to say too much to spoil anything that happens or not, but it's an AMAZING read. Highly rated on Amazon, too from the few reviews that it got ;) It's really worth a read. I promise that you won't be able to put it down once you start!
I better get started on that then! :D thanks!
Anytime! :D I know it's available on Amazon right now, maybe still in stores since it's around the holidays, but Amazon would be your best bet for picking it up.
:iconeevolution150:
Eevolution150 Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Redeeming Grace by Erin Sinnott. I honestly can't even describe how beautiful this book was, especially since it dealt with a lot of hard issues and made it into something beautiful. I haven't been able to put it down since I got it Christmas and I have to say it's probably my favorite book as of right now.
Sounds like an amazing book :)
OMG! I read that one too and felt the same way. I was just going to comment about it!
:iconwizardofunseen:
WizardOfUnseen Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
A book on body language and a book called the "The luck factor"
Sounds interesting :)
:iconwizardofunseen:
WizardOfUnseen Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:nod:
:iconmentalimoncafe:
MentaLimonCafe Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012   General Artist
A few books I read when I was a teenager. But recently, I read a Dostoievsky's books called "The brothers Karamazov", and other called "The double". They just blew my mind.
Well if minds can be blown then they are defiantly some books worth reading! :)
:iconvssh:
vssh Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
crime and punishment-Dostoyevsky...I have read this book when i was in high school and it still has a powerful influence on me even today...it totaly changed my view on the world
Awesome :) sounds like a great book!
:iconflummo:
flummo Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Student Writer
The Gemma Doyle Trilogy by Libba Bray (especially the last installment, The Sweet Far Thing) Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut. There are more but I can't think of them right now. :laughing:
I love the Lovely Bones! Although I've only seen the movie :( but I still want to read the book and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close!
I haven't seen the movie adaptations of either, but I hear they're good. :) Both books are absolutely beautiful. I hope you enjoy. :heart: And happy holidays!
Thanks for commenting :) and Happy Holidays to you too
:iconferricplushy:
FerricPlushy Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Azumanga Daioh saved me when I was in a really bad place and everything was going straight to shit.
:iconlittle-wild-one:
little-wild-one Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
I'm halfway through Perks of Being a Wallflower. So far, it's nowhere near as good as I'd expected it to be, though I'm hoping the second half will change my mind.
Nothing I've read has really changed my life, but 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' has always been one of my favs, it's the first book I read that got me into realistic fiction, rather than sticking to just fantasy stuff.
The secret to Perks of Being a Wallflower is to listen to the tracks as they are mentioned in the book. Creates a multiscensory read - even if you do not like bands like The Smiths, it helps you see a bit from the perspective of the author.
:iconlittle-wild-one:
little-wild-one Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
I might do that actually. I've heard the Smiths before, but ever since my friend said that if Mr Bean could sing then he would sound like their singer, I can't listen to them without laughing :lmao:
kylebjart Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Lol. I am not a fan myself but it does add to the mood of the writing.
It took the movie to make me appreciate the book more (though it's great on its own), and maybe rereading it will help. My sister said Perks of Being A Wallflower only sunk in for her when she read it the second time around.

I loved A Thousand Splendid Suns, but The Kite Runner is my favorite of the two of Khaled Hosseini's books. I hear he's releasing a new book next year, umm, And The Mountains Echoed. :)
:icondeizzan:
Deizzan Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
Moby Dick and Mutiny on the Bounty introduced me to the classics when I was 7.

Lord of the Flies sparked my interest in the way both the human mind and human society work.

God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything was the first time I came across a view like my own and demonstrated the I wasn't alone in the world as an atheist. (I realize this sounds slightly ridiculous, but I bought this book from my college bookstore as a freshman after having spent the majority of my life in a small town in Oklahoma. I had never come across anything of the sort and was absolutely amazed that other people were incapable of believing.)
:iconroguishbard:
RoguishBard Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Lirael (Garth Nix), Mossflower (Brian Jacques), The Songs of Merlin (T.A. Barron)

But the stories that really shaped me are the ones I wrote myself. ^_^;
GloomyPandaBear Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
haha then your stories must be amazing :)
:iconroguishbard:
RoguishBard Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Naw, but being a writer has shaped me more than anything. Every character you make holds some small part of you that perhaps you didn't know you had.
Add a Comment: