7th Moon

I wrote a novel titled 7th Moon and self published it through createspace on Amazon.com. I highly recommend this novel to anyone who likes anime or manga as it was inspired by anime and my hope is that it will someday become an anime. I'm really psyched about Toonami being back on the air because that was my original inspiration and my dream is for it to be a part of Toonami. No I will not be happy until I have heard Steven Jay Blum as TOM say "and now Toonami proudly presents the world premiere of 7th Moon" But for now I need to build an audience. Phase 1, I have finished the novel which would cover one 18 episode season, you can get it at Amazon.com and read the whole thing. Phase 2 is to get it adapted into manga, and for that I need artists. I would like to get a deal with Yen Press which does exactly that sort of thing and according to their website, they will take independent submissions, but only if i already have an artist. So here's my deal, if someone is willing to do the first six chapters for free, I will submit that to Yen Press and make sure you get in on the deal for the remaining 12 chapters. If they don't accept it, I will self-publish the first six chapters and pay you 50% of whatever I make off of those sales. For everyone else who's not interested in illustrating, feel free to ask any questions about the book and I will be happy to answer.
Comments15
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
" So here's my deal, if someone is willing to do the first six chapters for free"
Right now I can't afford to pay anyone. When I earn enough money that I can pay, I will, but ironically, I probably will never make that much money until I sell this project, so I need faith from my artist. I know it's a long shot and I probably won't get anyone, but pointing that out doesn't help anybody. So either make an offer or go away.
You assume and expect a lot from this project. Also, why are you trying to make a comic if you want a tv show
Most anime are based on manga, that is cartoons based on comics. Comics can be a bit easier to produce to test the audience. Think about it, if I can get an artist to draw this, I can self-publish, and it's out there for an audience and my only expense is paying that one artist. To make a cartoon, I may need multiple animators and even if I can find one that can take on the task we still need voiceovers, sound effects, and music. Now I am a man, so I can do the male voice overs, and maybe sound effects, and I have some Linkin Park music picked out if I can secure the rights, but I still need a woman to do female characters and children. I guess if I'm lucky I might get an animator who is female and also does music who can handle all of that, but more likely, I'm going to need a pro team, and even if it is one person, I still would need to pay her a lot more for doing all of that. It's much cheaper to produce a comic first and then when the audience is built go animated. See also, Dragon Ball, Nauto, Bleach, and anything else that Shonen Jump published then later made into anime, as well as Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. As for starting with a novel as I have, see also, Moribito and Deltora Quest.
I get the feeling you're writing just to become famous. That is an awful idea. Don't do that.
Not quite, I'm writing because I want to have my own anime. I want to see it made for real. If I happen to get rich and famous in the process, all the better. If I make six episodes, get canned and desperately try to sell DVD's of the "complete series" on the cheap at conventions and have to get a day job because I barely break even, I'm okay with that too, as long as I get to watch 7th Moon at my leisure. Besides, even if I am successful, I'm not sure if anybody will know me and I won't really be famous. It's the product, not my personal status, that drives me.
If your end goal is to get an animated show, why are you bothering to write a comic book at all? Go into animation production instead.
It's very difficult, for one thing I can not draw to save my life. I've tried, but I can't draw what's in my head. For me to get an animated show, I either have to go the long route, trying to be an animator, which won't work because even when I do manage to draw well, I can't maintain consistency between frames, so I will never get far enough that anyone would ever consider me for having my own show, or else I have to produce a property that is worth adapting into the media I want it to be made into and get tacked on as a creative consulting producer. There are a lot of cases where this works and with my talent level, I have to hope I am one of the lucky ones. I actually attempted making my own animated series once and that's how I first got to this website, but compared to other people in that particular community, I was the least talented in the graphics department. I am a writer, an idea man. I need an artist to get the images out of my head and onto paper, and I managed to get one artist to do it but she refuses to do more than one shot with it. Admittedly I used her work without her permission, though I did give her credit and intended to pay her as soon as I got paid myself, but she seemed to have personal qualms about being part of my project. Now I have to find another artist who do her quality of work and work with me on the terms I can actually come through on. If I ever get a few thousand dollars of disposable income, I will gladly pay an artist, but the only way I'll ever make that kind of money is if this project is a success, so I need an artist with faith, or for book sales like Amanda Hocking.
I've been working on it for twelve years and I went through three or four drafts before I self-published, and I still believe in it. Yes that's optimistic of me.
Adult Swim does not produce independent material. They pick up the rights to broadcast series.
Williams Street produces the rest, or at least has a very big hand in it.

So you're going to need to either have something they really want and then sell the rights to them (ie Zim and Avatar at Nick) or you're going to have to produce your own series and then hope AS wants to pick up it.
Yes, I know, and I'm working on that. I want to be on Toonami, but as it should be clear from the fact that I'm starting with a novel, I am going through several development stages to get there. I expect to somehow get enough money (or, fingers crossed for an effing miracle, support from animators working for free-yeah even I didn't believe that one) to get at least the first six episodes produced independently, or maybe with some company that wants to back me. This would be what is known as an OVA and I would distribute it either on the internet or on DVD or both, depending on the market by the time I get to that stage. Then, once people want it, it will get picked up by Toonami. Going directly to Toonami with this is such a long shot even I don't believe in it, especailly right now, when they came back they admitted they have a low budget, they're using old animation for TOM and Steve Blum who voices the hostclaims he's doing it for the love of the project meaning no money, or at least very little. Despite community support, Cartoon Network is only giving Toonami enough to be on the air which is why the only brand new show they have is Bleach because they already secured the rights. Toonami only once ever produced an original series, IGPX and it sort of bombed, so it's not likely they're going to give me a chance. Possible, maybe, but not something I should count on, so yeah, I'm going to make it myself and sell it to them afterward.
You're better off focusing on an online delivery, maybe even netflix or red box.
I'm fine with that, but first I need someone to help me make it. Honestly, if I can make the first six episodes for online delivery, I'll consider it a success, even if I'm the only one watching it. Now, any animators willing to take the job? Anime style a must.