Closed to new replies
December 19, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 337

Guilty Pleasures

:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
One book/series you're generally embarrassed to lump in with all the other stuff you enjoy. GO.

If I had to pick one, it'd probably be 'Wheel of Time.' The writing isn't that hot (and omg battle of the sexes), but I am addicted to the plot and some of the characters.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnecroraevyn:
NecroRaevyn Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Student Writer
Hetalia manga.
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I hear it's amusing.
It is (in my opinion).
Good enough reason to keep reading it?
Yeah (again, in my opinion). Stereotypes are hilarious, though I don't think anyone besides myself actually approves it.
It does have a pretty large fanbase. :{
They have a point.
:iconcindertwig:
Cindertwig Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013
Absolutely terrible fanfiction. I also enjoy Wheel of Time.
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:giggle: terrible like slash or what?
:iconcindertwig:
Cindertwig Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013
Yes Slash is a prime example.
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Nice.
:iconpurpleamhariccoffee:
PurpleAmharicCoffee Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
Captain Underpants.
Delightfully childish antics and shenanigans delight tired eyes.
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I've always been curious about it, just never picked one up. D:
:iconpurpleamhariccoffee:
PurpleAmharicCoffee Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
An unsatisfied curiosity can sit on your brain for ages.
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Truths! :O
:iconthe-theory-liz:
The-Theory-Liz Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Beautiful Creatures...I mean it's got a lot of problems like an unrealistic male protagonist, a stale female lead, and some stereotype problems...but the other characters such as Macon, Amma, and Marion really make it worth it for me. Besides it's fun. :)

Probably any YA that I read currently, except I am not ashamed to be a Gayle Foreman fan.
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:lol: yeah, I hear that.

YA's gotten all classy while I wasn't looking, to be honest!
The-Theory-Liz Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
It's kind of surprising what is out there to be honest :o Some of it isn't too bad, and even quite funny and well written. I quite liked "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green. (I also watch the vlogbrothers on youtube, which is pretty hilarious too).
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I know someone who writes YA and is like 'come on guys YA is cooooool' :giggle: it's true, nowadays it's really just younger protags and cleaner language as the main difference.
The-Theory-Liz Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Yeah, I know :D

Not always, some YA books do swear quite a bit...to the extent that I am a bit surprised considering all things.
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Haha, seriously!
The-Theory-Liz Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
:D
:iconragin227:
ragin227 Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013
Fanfiction and any book/manga with a happy-happy-joy ending.
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I read lots of fanfiction for tons of different works. But it's GOOD fanfiction, none of that shipping crap or Mary Sue stuff. If there's a pairing (or an implied one), it's usually canon. If it has an OC pertinent to the story, that's fine with me as long as they're well-developed and plausible.
:iconblizzardshard:
Blizzardshard Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
Some types of fanfiction I get embarrassed about. Like Sly Cooper and Pokemon and Digimon. My brother looks at me weird when I start talking about them, but he mostly sticks to Naruto. At least I try to branch out, right?

I don't feel all that guilty about liking Warriors or Harry Potter, even if I'm 20 years old. But the books I usually try to hide by stacking things in front of it: Guardians of Ga'Hoole. I just love it.
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:lol: Facts.

Hahahaha.
:iconmidnightmagnificent:
MidNightMagnificent Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Probably the whole Anita Blake series. Much more sex and sensuality than fluff like Fifty Shades of Grey, and a not useless main character! Plus, bestiality! Oh dear God. No. I must end this reply now.
:iconmorganalefeah:
morganalefeah Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I am addicted to Anita Blake...So much sex though....someone asks "hey whatcha reading?" me: "oooh nothing...just....uh green eggs and ham!" O.O
:iconmidnightmagnificent:
MidNightMagnificent Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I know!!! I love it too, but I usually would reply with some other "safe" book when people, especially those who don't know me WELL ask me about what I'm reading at the moment.

But oh gods, I do love the books! :love:
:iconkitsuraki:
Kitsuraki Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013   General Artist
My biggest one would probably be fanfiction. Whenever I get into a series for some reason, I simply must read the fanfiction about it. Just something about them just...I don't know.

The other one would be that I'm a fan of the Scrooge McDuck comics. It turns out that they are actually really good if you so happen to get the right writer for him (and still usually pretty good even if you don't). My suggestion would be Carl Barks and Don Rosa, who wrote the life bio of him (yes such a thing actually exists) where it has him doing things like blowing up steamboats and beating the crap out of people every chapter. Turns out he was quite the badass.
:iconkersnuffle:
kersnuffle Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
Embarrassing to admit, but I'm the same. I get obsessed with a new series about once every 6 months (right now its the Hobbit and Teen Wolf, before it was Harry Potter and Ocean's 11). Worst of all is that sometimes I don't even like the series(Teen Wolf for example) so much as just the fanfiction about the series.

It's definitely my guilty pleasure.
Kitsuraki Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013   General Artist
Haha, I tend to last longer on a series and when I'm into a series, I'm into it for quite a while but yeah, I definitely know about reading fanfiction about a series that you are not so much into and only have a limited interest. I've done that too XD

Ah, well for Harry Potter, you would certainly have your selection. :iconeverywhereplz: not to even mention the crossovers for that series. For every series that I bothered to check there is at least one for Harry Potter. Even pong.

Yes there is even pong fanfiction these days.
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:lol: What type of fanfiction?

Oooooh.
Kitsuraki Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013   General Artist
Pretty much any type: angst, romance, gore etc. Even fanfiction that is so bad it's good. I pretty much set my settings to all, not just the K to teen thing.

Except poems, song fics, mpreg (people really need to figure out that guys would be more shocked that "lol oh crap" plus it's not my thing) and especially modified Christmas carol fics. This shit exists and it shouldn't.
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Ooooh.

Re: Christmas Carol fics, wtf?
Yeah, I've ran across this twice and they were both one of the most terrible things I have ever read. It was embarrassing to look at.

Pretty much they would modify it to have the point of the song about the chosen victim character doing whatever christmasy thing the song was talking about. They're god awful.
Errrrrrrk.
Indeed. The sooner those fanfics fall off the face of the earth the better. I can't imagine ANYONE enjoying these.

...anyone
Not even the writers!
(1 Reply)
:iconfangirl-of-cuteness:
Fangirl-of-Cuteness Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Secretly, I read mangas. My friends and family think its weird and would never let me live ti down, so I'm guilty of reading it and being part of the fandom behind their backs.
:icongrandmasteremporer:
GrandMasterEmporer Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
I'm a little embarrassed that I still enjoy reading a few young adult/teen fantasy series. Ones that I still read every now and then are the Redwall series, and the Warrior Cats. As a sucker for talking animal books, I just can't pass them up.
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh maaaan Redwall! I haven't read it in years :B
:iconimdsound:
IMDSound Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Student Digital Artist
LOL. I hate to admit that I read all of the Twilight books and thoroughly enjoyed them. I just think the movies are gay, but the books are okay.
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
my friend agrees there, although she probably wouldn't call the movies gay :p
:iconchopper481:
chopper481 Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Student General Artist
I like the "Avalon: Web of Magic" series to this day. Partially because the art is gorgeous, and partially because it's fun. But it's for like...10 year old girls or something. xD
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:giggle:
:iconxtinyheartx:
xtinyheartx Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
my first one might be... twilight...*face palm ...I once enjoyed it but now i look back and face palm every time

my second guilty pleasure is Perfume a story of a murder. This one i don't regret because i still love the awkwardness and weirdness of it...with twisted inner conflicts. <3
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:giggle:

This second one sounds interesting, tell me more!
:iconxtinyheartx:
xtinyheartx Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well perfume is a book, taking place in the 1800's of France, i choose for my research paper my senior year in high school. It is really unrealistic and kind of crazy. When I read the summary about a man who is obsessed with smells, dreams to make the perfect perfume, and longing to be accepted by society, I knew i wanted to read it. I realized he could have been born with a very acute sense of smell, which could be a genetic condition called Hyperosmia. (however the strength of his smell is too power to be caused by Hyperomia.) To make the most attractive perfume in the world, he decides to cultivate the smell of what he deemed most attractive olfactory-wise, virgins. It sounds weird but this character, Jean-Baptiste Grenouille, explains the smell of the virgin is most sweet and pure. He decides the best way to harvest these smells is to kill them and collect their smell.

Because i was supposed to analyze this book i actually discovered many things that were sort of representing society and loneliness.
Disclaimer: You either hate the ending/ feel awkward about it/ or love it lol
neurotype Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
That basically sounds like the best ever. I'm used to finding books where I hate the ending, so will have to read, thanks!
Add a Comment: