Closed to new replies
December 14, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

What's the thing about Twilight?

:iconnecroraevyn:
NecroRaevyn Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Student Writer
I mean, every since I finished Twilight by Stephanie Meyer, on the web I've generally seen Twilight hatred. I just don't really get it, because I've barely seen anybody who prefers Twilight before The Hunger Games. I agree that the plot is a little too classic, the sort of 'Prince Charming Meets Random Street Girl, Falls In Love, After Alot of Twists Lives Happily Every After', but otherwise Meyer isn't, that, bad, or so I believe. On alot of 'Your least favorite book' threads they always say 'Twilight. 'Nuff said.' I just want to know why.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconneednknow:
NeednKnow Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012
It's probably also that there are tons of romance novels out there that are better in every way, and yet this one is the one that most people read. And then these "readers" (this is the only book they've ever read for fun) suddenly claim they're readers and that this is the greatest omfg book in history ever. (Don't get me wrong, but I hope they branch out and read other things....)

Because I try to make analogies: it's like food. I eat all this junk food that's bad for my health and makes me feel bad, but I still prefer and buy it over vegetables and all the food that'll keep me healthy and strong. Why? I don't know. :< Human nature, simplicity over thinking?

For me, personally, I'm mad that this book gets all the hyper. Jealous, envy? 'Cause there are so many other romance novels that I want to see made into five movies on the bigscreen, but they don't get made or even a second look! I want a couple to obsess over for five movies! O_O (Ah well, that's what I watch dramas for.)
:iconbeth4452:
beth4452 Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
It IS strange to me,. I'm not a twilight fan, but I don't feel passionately enough about it to jump on the hate train... so what IS the deal? I've probably read a billion books I didn't like (book snob lol). I just move on and READ SOMETHING ELSE.
I mean, don't get me wrong, I have a pretty long list of legitimate, intelligble reasons for not liking Twilight, but none of those things seem like fuel for a barrage of hatred. People love semi-crappy books all the time. What makes this one so special?
The only thing that makes any sense to me, is that it took a theme that's typically dark/sub culture type stuff and made into something lovey dovey. Vampires are kind of uncool and unscary now. I could see people resenting that to some extent.
:iconthedaytripper:
TheDayTripper Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012
dunno, I watched the movie with the supposed "good action". The one with the wolves fighting all the zombie vampires. The high point was the tent scene where I was seriously hoping that edward and the wolf kid would just dp bella and call it a night.
:iconalicialow:
AliciaLow Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Student Filmographer
It's just a waste of trees and ink.
:iconaprilmcguire:
AprilMcGuire Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I can't wait for the day when Twilight is done being mentioned. C'mon, people!
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Thinking is pollution.
:iconnerdyandproud:
NerdyAndProud Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Student
I read all the books when Twilight started getting popular because of the Twilight movie. Looking back on those books I know why I don't like them.

I don't really care for the plot. The way it was written didn't make it horribly exciting, though it had its moments. (The chapter where the some vampires fight in the first book for example.) Which is a problem because the books are pretty boring. Nothing super exciting happens. Like the last book (SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE LAST TWILIGHT BOOK) the ending was rather a let down. A bunch of vampires teaming up with shape shifters to fight the bad guy that the three previous books had been building up? Wicked! Until they just talk and the bad guys leave? What? The idea that a bunch of supernatural creatures would just calmly discuss things and leave peacefully is idiotic, us humans can barely do that! I know it's a fantasy book, but that doesn't mean you throw out all logic. (END SPOILERS)

And the characters are my main problem. The only interesting characters aren't even the main ones. The only somewhat fleshed out characters were the Cullen family, excluding Edward, and you only got a few pages on them to really get to know them. It's like Stephanie Meyer was so involved in the romance part of the story she didn't concentrate on anything else. And Twilight had the potential to be a good book, it just needed a lot of work.
:icontovato:
Tovato Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I think my concern about the series hit a max when my Twilight-obsessed friend told me she wished someone would stalk her because it would be flattering...
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Professional General Artist
Laci explains it all [link]
:iconedarlin:
edarlin Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012
I think a lot of people hate it because it's teaching its audience (insecure teenage girls) to accept abusive relationships. That and it's poorly written, has terrible main characters and awful dialogue.

That aside, if you enjoyed Twilight, you should check out Tiger's Curse. You'd probably enjoy it as well.
Add a Comment: