Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 11, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 41

To curse or not to curse in comic books.

:iconbladenx:
BladenX Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
I'm making a new comic book and I'm torn if I should use curse words or not.

I really don't want to use things like "F$*#!"

What's your opinion on the matter?
Does it matter to you either way?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconaspacecowboy:
aspacecowboy Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012
Check with the rest of your team before you make any decisions. Had to go edit a five issue mini series when I brought on a very religous artist.
:iconbullet-magnet:
Bullet-Magnet Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012
It depends on your intended audience. For my money, I wouldn't put curses in just for the sake of being edgy or mature, but if it seems absolutely natural for a character to use them then I'd prefer to see them in. And avoiding them can seem unnatural, though that may depend on the individual character, some might conscientiously avoid swearing while another might swear like a sailor.

Depending on the setting (such as fantasy or science fiction unattached to our world) you might use invented curses. Though this can also seem forced or unnatural, depending on how well you do it.

There's one interesting solution I saw in the sitcom Father Ted, which allowed a great deal of foul language before the water shed by taking advantage of the character's Irish accents. "Feck."
:iconmojricaart:
mojricaart Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Professional Photographer
Of course depends on the topic. My personal opinion is yes. Laughter always go with curses.No good movie without curses. A lot of the swearing in Balkan films.
:iconjigokuneko:
JigokuNeko Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012   Digital Artist
Well, it depends on what sort of comic you're making: if it's the sort of gritty, realistic story then yes, swearing will be part of it because it happens. If it is comedy or something light and fluffy you can still have the F bomb but kinda censor it very obviously so it gets double comedic effect. If it is for kids, no. If it is for teens go ahead, they have more imaginative cusswords anyway! aaand if it is fantasy or scifi you can invent your own frak-word.
:icontojix:
TojiX Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012
Again you might have heard of this, but it depends on what your story is. The setting the mood and the characters will define your story, so if its about lets say a young latina girl with a back pack with her monkey friend who wears boots then cussing would be a no. If its about a group of sailors on shore leave in a third world country trying to have their way with the local women, well you know where I'm getting at right?
:iconmike-horo:
mike-horo Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Professional General Artist
If you are paying, Curse.
If you are getting paid, Sit and pant at any order.
Personally i try to write without swearing... but sometimes the story gets better with people swearing like kindergartners around an alcoholic father.
:iconaprilmcguire:
AprilMcGuire Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012   Digital Artist
I think that if your story matter is already adult, then swearing is fine... like if you have any nudity or suggestive talk etc, then not adding in swear words might seem weird. I think you should just define your audience you are aiming at before asking this question. Is it young adult? Some not-so-harsh swearing is fine. Is it young adult + kids? No swearing. 18+? Swearing. :)
:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
This question depends entirely on the tone of the work and the intended audience. If it's meant to be a very light-hearted work, or intended for children or "all ages," you should omit curse words. In any other circumstances, however, you should use them. In the real world, people swear when they feel it is appropriate. Most stories I know of involve people in rather trying situations, and in that case it may be more jarring for them to not swear. Not to mention that what people consider to be "appropriate" cause to swear is highly variable, and can tell your readers something about there character. A person who never swears, regardless of the circumstances (or, heaven forbid, uses only minor oaths like "Gosh darnit to heck!) is probably going to be some sort of stuck-up, austere, overtly-moral character (a preacher, perhaps). On the other hand, a person who swears frequently shows a lack of discipline and concern for their outward appearance (like a thug, or a common laborer). Beware of the latter case, though. Verisimilitude can actually come off as distasteful, when it comes to swear words. In the real world, I know a few good-for-nothings who use "fucking" like a discourse particle: "It's like, you know, fucking..." Usage to that extent is grating on the nerves.
:iconhelloabakkus:
helloabakkus Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Censoring your writing is stupid. If the character would say it, then have them say it!
:iconjaquillynmodel:
JaquillynModel Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Invent words with secret curse meanings.
BladenX Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
You have no idea how cool of an idea that is!
My comic book takes place on another planet to begin with.
Why wouldn't they have a few other words that only they knew about?

Thank you!
:iconjaquillynmodel:
JaquillynModel Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
:D
:iconmetalmeister5582:
metalmeister5582 Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
The way I look at it is:

Writing the word makes someone think that word. Writing #@%$! makes them also think of the word, so there's no difference, is there? So just fuckin' swear, mate!
:icontracy-me:
tracy-Me Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
When I was in highschool, I had very clean language in my stories because I was afraid people would disapprove. My mom, who is not that into literature, read one of my stories, and said, "Sweetie, just write for the characters. If they have to use bad language, that's what you need to write." Best advice ever. As long as you're true to the characters, you have no one to answer to. :heart:
BladenX Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
Well said!
Thank you.
:icongalaxyzento:
GalaxyZento Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional General Artist
Consider your target audience unless just writing for your friends. Certain words are really frowned on unless only for adult viewing. Others are acceptable in the teen range. I think you can look up profanity by age rating. Words like damn and crap are more acceptable than the f bomb and sh** for example. They are just considered tamer. Heck, pick up a book or two and check them out. Nothing like real time examples. Past that I can't say if you should cut out all curse words or not. It's up to you and your characters. I think you'll find that even the X-Men and Spidey have the word "damn" every once in a while. Dr Strange said "crap". So research and feel your way through.
Thank you.
:iconlucidcreations:
LucidCreations Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I wouldn't take curse words out to the point where it's unrealistic. Is everyone in your story Mormon and conservative? Then maybe.

But realistically, I think SOMETIMES people swear. You don't need it constantly, but removing "Shit" and replacing it with "Darn it!" seems forced and unrealistic..depending on the character. But generally, if your character is not religious or burdened with an overly heavy conscience, they'll swear at some point.

Just my two cents. =)
:iconrazzy56:
Razzy56 Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I totally agree, say whatever you think a normal person would say, and dont replace it with something stuped (a.k.a "darn it")
so basically what lucid said, :D
:iconlucidcreations:
LucidCreations Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
-Thumbs up- :P
Thank you.
:icondragonbearuzi:
DragonBearUzi Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It's up to you in the end. It's YOUR comic, not everyone else's. I'm making a comic as well, and there is going to be swearing in it as well as nudity, because that's what I want. Do what you want and you will always be happy. :)
:iconjesseacosta:
JesseAcosta Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional General Artist
What age group are you writing for? Is it important for the character to use profanity? Those should be the only factors in your decision making.
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012   Digital Artist
It depends on what you are writing and your goals with it. However, at the least keep in consideration that you aren't writing what you would say, but what you're characters are saying. If it is or isn't typical that the character would say that, then that's how you have to write it. I would say if you do have dialogue with profanity that you just write it full out, because 9 times out of 10 a story with profanity is serious enough that ephemizing it comes off badly. With exception, eppamism can be done, but only of the way you are intending it to be read is as a beqrudging curse, as if the character is swearing but doing so under their breath, or not really wanting to , or by mistake. But again it's situation based on the story.
Thank you.
:iconjosephdif:
JosephDiF Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Personally I try to keep the language PG and the scenes PG-13 tops in order to reach a broader audience. But then again the mouthes on these kids these days is ridiculous.
That was sort of my thinking as well.
I don't intend to have a curse word every 3 words or anything but at times things like "What in the world?!" or "Darn it!" seem to take me out of the story because it seems like the writer is trying so hard to avoid even a minor curse word.

As I suspected, I'm getting as many answers as there are people.

Thank you for your comment.
:icontymecomics:
Tymecomics Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
no you don't curse words are not the right choice.
Thank you.
:iconartistnote:
ArtistNote Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Student Digital Artist
In addition to what SparkliPrincess said, I would also consider the character's personality. I have some characters that would swear at just about anything because that's how they are, and others who would think twice before saying curse words.
Take real life for example: A child raised around people who swear a lot will absorb that and grow up not thinking anything of it, and it'd just come out of their mouth naturally; whereas, a child who lived in a family who watched out for their language and he/she wasn't used to hearing it would probably not find themselves just saying it just because it's natural to them.
Thanks.
:iconsparkliprincess:
SparkliPrincess Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
i think it depends on what happens to the characters, and only use it when nessisary, like when someone gets hurt, something bad happens, or you think they wouldnt be able to control it
Thank you very much.
:iconsparkliprincess:
SparkliPrincess Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
uwu welcome
:iconrainbowcandeh:
RainbowCandeh Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think only at some points of the comics like not usually ya know like when something bad happens are they are stressed out or whatnot
Thank you!
:iconrainbowcandeh:
RainbowCandeh Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
you're welcome :3
:icondallelleslaul:
DallellesLaul Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
I'd say no... Couldn't tell you why I feel that way... Just seems right to me...
Thank you.
:icondamnhouse:
damnhouse Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I don't think you've need to put curses for make a good comic, it's a kind of... "easy way" to get fun. Go ahead with a clean language use.
Thank you.
Add a Comment: