Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 11, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

Any famous comic creators that do not write scripts?

:iconaghorishaivite:
Aghorishaivite Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional Writer
Hey,

I was wondering how many famous comic creators do not write scripts? I write scripts but was thinking I would probably get a lot more material done if I just did the art for my solo projects. I have digital programs so I could go back and correct things more easily than on paper.

It seems like comic creators that do not use scripts usually at least draw an outline of what happens in a comic- but I was curious to see if there were other techniques and if people have been successful using them.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontonyyyg:
TonyyyG Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Todd Mcfarlane lol
Aghorishaivite Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Professional Writer
LOL Really? How did he get Greg Capullo to know what was going on? LOL
TonyyyG Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
it was mostly a joke lol...but he is kind of known for making a basic outline and then letting GC run free with it... as for your question, what kind of digital program do you use to write?
Aghorishaivite Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Professional Writer
LOL, I knew you were joking- I was just teasing a bit, lol.

I write my scripts in Microsoft Word. I also letter my comics with Manga Studio EX 4. I saw an upgrade for Manga Studio 5 and I'm thinking of doing that as well.
TonyyyG Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Cool. I write my stuff on Final Draft and it's pretty gnarly because it does all the script formatting for you. Ive never tried Manga Studio, im trying to learn on Adobe Illustrator. Does Manga Studio come with fonts?
Manga Studio does come with fonts- however, it doesn't come with the best comic fonts IMO. Still, the best thing about Manga Studio is that you can get downloaded fonts and use them in the program. I think it's a great lettering program because it has a variety of bubbles, captions, etc. and it's easy to position bubbles and text.

I think the best site I've found for fonts, and free fonts, is Blambot (blambot.com I believe). They have a lot of free fonts, as well as some fonts for sale. I download the fonts from the site, extract them from the folder and put them in my Windows Fonts. Then, the fonts are available on any program I choose to use (Manga Studio, GIMP, etc).

That's cool about Adobe Illustrator- I've heard good things about it. I love drawing on Manga Studio but I've wondered if having Adobe Illustrator will give me more options for coloring. I like the colors on Manga because they are bright and vibrant, but it's not a big coloring program- MS is made for black and white comics. I color on Gimp sometimes, but their colors aren't as bright and vibrant. as I've seen on other programs.
TonyyyG Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Ohh really? thats really convenient because in illustrator you pretty much have to make a word balloon from scratch, it can be time consuming but you get the flexibility of customizing everything. sweet i might check it out then.

You can get some nice colors from Illustrator but i prefer Photoshop. For coloring most professionals I admire tend to use photoshop.You can get some beautiful coloring from it but I guess it's not so much the program people use but the creativity and hard work one chooses to do on it.

Interesting. Are you working on any comics at the moment?
I think you're right. I've avoided Photoshop because it's so expensive but it seems to produce the types of colors I'd like to have in my comics one day.

Yep, I'm working on a compilation comic at the moment. It's called Super Inc. Villain's Edition. It's based on the villains of my universe and it'll have four short comic stories and three written stories. I wrote it and collaborated with other artists to draw it. I made a little youtube commercial for it and the cover is here as well:

www.aghoriverse.com

And one of the webcomics for it is here but it will be in color for the comic:

[link]
(1 Reply)
:iconjesseacosta:
JesseAcosta Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional General Artist
There's "Marvel Style" and full scripting. Basically traditional Marvel Style was writing an outline and key scenes for the comic, then the artist would have more liberties to take and would return the art, and the writer would fill in dialogue and caption boxes as needed.
Since I write my own comics that I draw, I lean usually towards this approach in the past. But currently I'm working on a story that I'd like to use as a portfolio piece, I'm making full scripts first with camera direction and staging written out as complete as I can. I'm hoping that if I solve story issues at the script stage, my thumbnail stage will be stronger, which will lead to a stronger final product. Yes, it's time consuming, but I'm trying to build my chops. I imagine as a writer or artist progresses in sequential art storytelling, they can loosen up and rely on instincts a bit more as they learn and expand.
Aghorishaivite Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Writer
Great response. Thank you!
Add a Comment: