Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 9, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 8

Your opinion is needed !! (Comic Question)

:icon4fumiaki4:
4Fumiaki4 Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
SOOO to say it quick. I have made a manga page as fast as i could so 40 minutes. Well not that quick but still 4 panels. Well what i wanted to ask from you guys is would you be interested in a comic which would look like this. --> [link] . The REASON why i am asking you is because i always thought that its kinda uncool how long you need for only ONE page. Sometimes more than 4 hours just that people can look at it for 30 seconds. SO i wanted to try doing it a bit more sketchy and faster so i could tell a story faster. AND thats why i wanted to hear YOUR OPINION about my comic page, is it enjoyable? and what is more important for you guys in general? Story or the artwork when reading a comic?!?! PLZ COMMENT IT WOULD HELP A LOT!!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjesseacosta:
JesseAcosta Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Professional General Artist
There is a reason why comics is an art form. People spend weeks and months on paintings, and if I remember right most people don't give a painting more than 20 seconds to digest a piece at museums.

Yeah, we spend a great deal of time making comics, and the devotion hours to the consumption hours is never the same. But that doesn't mean slack on the job.

Basic advice I could give is to keep practicing the art form, you'll get quicker as you go along. But as you get better, I imagine you'll want to refine your work that much more.
:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Not really, but look at something like Onani Master Kurosawa. It's drawn in just pencil but its well done, feels complete in its presentation and everything holds together.

Either way. Making things is hard work regardless.
4Fumiaki4 Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well thank you guys for the comments^^. Yeah my point was just sometimes, people achieve much more popularity with a simple comic than another comic which is drawn really well. And comics which can be drawn really fast, i dont know for example Kirby stories of that round pink character should be pretty fast do able. I mean you dont have so much to draw and can proceed through the story faster without losing time but having quite nice drawn characters. So thats why i dont really want to take all my free time just to make a few manga pages when i could have more success with a faster version of a comic and getting much much more pages done. Thats like a double win for me and the people who get faster more pages.
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012   Digital Artist
Good things take time, a lot of it. Comics isn't one of those things you get into unless you really love it. You're going to be working almost all the time, for very little return. Why do you think many of them have several people working on different aspects of the art.

Things take time if you want people to really appreciate them. If you feel like it's taking too much time, try to find a way to still produce good quality in less time by refining your process, but not just by leaving stuff out all together or lowering the quality.
:iconwilwhalen:
WilWhalen Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
No, I wouldn't read a comic that looks like that.

What's most important in a comic is the final product - the harmony of the story and the picture becomes as important than the relative quality of either. If you have a great story and shitty art, then you have a shitty comic, and the reverse certainly applies as well. Comic pages take time, like any other form of art. There's a reason Marvel/DC books are only 22 pages a month, and they have a whole production team. Good things take time. If you think comics are bad, try animation. People skip through cut scenes in video games that took 10's-100's of people months to script, make the models for, animate, record voices for, orchestrate and the thousand other things that have to happen for you to even get it in your hands. You spend time on your art for the people who will spend time enjoying it - the casual viewer is ancillary.

A good comic is worth more than one read; the one that the artist decided wasn't worth the time to draw likely won't be worth the time to read at all.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
Where's the background?
4Fumiaki4 Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well it was just a random comic page with random characters so i wasnt really thinking about where they are exactly.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
Well no one would read a comic like that.
Add a Comment: