DC vs Marvel - Compare/Contrast

hi. i was thinking about what are the differences i can notice in dc comics and characters and marvels comics and characters.

from what i know about both, to me, dc kinda seems like its more real world, and marvel seems a little more free and "out there" sort of sci fi fantasy like with exaggerated heros and villains

anyone have any opinions on the two?
Comments7
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
-now,i love vertigo.as far as marvel,i'm really just looking at x-factor(not the x-factor from the 90's :( ) investigations and looking into the x-men stuff.i'm also a spiderman fan.the only problem i got is,i don't like seeing people jumping around saving the day in stupid costumes.that's why i only like ,ghost rider,hellblazer,that kinda thing. i want sandman ,but i haven't got to it.

-see,here's the problem with marvel and DC,superheroe comics period.they came from a time period when people were scared and liked the idea of amazing people 'saving the day'.now,we no longer believe in heroes,especially fantasy heroes.i think if all the charcters get revamped as regular people ,it'll solve the problem.
Marvel literally has no diversity in it's books. DC has lesser popular characters with their own books and rather good stories. DC also has Vertigo, which is what most my comic collection consists of now.
Mostly, I read the Vertigo comics. I pretty much outgrew my share of superheroes and all quite a while ago.

The Sandman was a huge favourite, and when it ended, I started on Bill Willingham's Fables. Bit late, I know, but hey, better late than never. Completely hooked now.

Marvel doesn't really seem to have titles with the maturity levels of Vertigo titles.
DC is too inflated for me to care about. With uberpowers like the current Superman and Power Man, I find it hard to care for any of the characters; they're either mundane compared to the latter two or just like them. There's little middle ground.

I do still care about Gotham and its people. Batman, the Joker, Nightwing, Red Hood, etcetera... their the only thing I can relate to remotely.

Marvel, however... is awesome. Their characters have deep personal and interpersonal conflicts that are constantly being stalled and slowed by the surrounding outbreaks of all the other super-powered situations. There are still uberpowers but they usually choose not to act, and so I see less of them. This makes for a colorful and interesting cast, with varying levels of intensity for many people to love.

...I'm biased as all hell, but it's my just own opinion.
-huh? i think the opposite really.

-see DC is about superheroes and Marvel is about people who happen to have super powers.

-however,lately,dc has been getting into reality mode a bit.i prefer marvel becaus alot of the so called 'heroes' aren't flying around saving the day all the time,and you see more out of costume momments than with marvel.not to mention marvel haveing more,non-white,male,heterosecual characters.

-now certain comics like the batman series,i can get the urban feel and there's some reality bits in it,and the same for hellblazer .but really ,the universe as a whole is more personal in marvel (i like ghost rider).its basically the balancing of alter egos to their original selves.in DC,they spend more time as their alter egos to the point that some have become them.
hmmm i see what you mean.

i havnt read enough comic books to really compare the two as i would like.