Long shot but I'll ask anyway

I've been looking for a book to read for a while now. I have been reading recommendations off a guy from work, Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson which was amazing. I was enthralled the whole way through but since then I've tried Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson really didn't like it and now I'm on Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks and it's ok but I wanted something a little bit more light hearted I suppose.

When I was younger I read Ronan the Barbarian by James Bibby I loved that series and also the Tharaxas Books I forget who they were by. But I want something like a humorous fantasy/Sci Fi story or mystery novel which has the comedy, but it's not all jokes. The story is the main thing, the jokes come second.

Anyway if anyone could recommend me any good books I'd appreciated it
Comments14
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Have you tried the Monster Hunter series by Larry Correia? They're pretty awesome, at least if you have the right sense of humor. There's lots of B horror movie gore, but the story buried under all the gore is really good. And they're funny as hell. If they sound at all interesting to you, you might also like the Joe Ledger series by Jonathan Maberry.

There's also Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman. It's about a newly created cyborg who joins a league of superheros to try and stop a supervillian, but it's way less cliche than it sounds. It's surprisingly serious for the subject matter, but definitely has some humor as well.

You might also like the Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne. They're urban fantasy and a nice mixture of mystery, humor, and action.
Zig Zag is a more than decent read.
Humorous? Okay. Let's see. There's The Cyberiad by Stanislaw Lem, set in a VERY distant future when robots build robots and humans are mythical creatures no one really believes ever existed, Who could possibly build a robot out of water? Jeez!
You might also enjoy the anthology Tales from the White Hart by Arthur C. Clarke. They are stories told by an eccentric character in a British pub, and all are science fictional with a humorous slant.
Any short story anthology by Phillip K. Dick. They are sometimes serious, but he had a talent for funny premises treated seriously, or serious premises done with humor.
I might actually check out those books :O
:O ? They frighten you with their high quality? :D
Oh, and you can add Lem's Memoirs Found in a Bathtub. It's an odd duck; a story told by someone trapped in a futuristic Pentagon, and shuffled from room to room as he gets tangled deeper and deeper in the double-dealing and paranoia, seeing secret messages inside every secret message...
I have a lot to read this weekend ;)
One weekend? Well, the Lem books maybe. Clarke's is a quick read, yes. So I guess you could. Dick's? Not as much. They tend to have more stories and are deeper reads, even when they're funny ("The Short, Happy Life of the Brown Oxford"....)
Okay, so maybe a couple weeks :XD:
ROFL. It depends, really. I have read books of 700+ pages in only three pages, and barely finished books of less than 300 pages when they were disastrously awful. I read The Cuckoo's Egg in less than two days because I got into it. So it depends on your excitement about them, I reckon.
For some lighthearted books, try out Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, as well as Good Omens, which Pratchett co-authored with Neil Gaiman.
Roger Zelazny writes short stories in that vein, if that's something you're into. The collection "The Doors of His Face, The Lamp of His Mouth" has a lot of good ones, including one of my favorites: [link]

They're not all as silly as "The Great Slow Kings" but they're all pretty good.
Thanks I'll check those out now. So the collection you suggested are short stories?
Yeah, some shorter than others. There are a few that are 50-80ish pages, but also some that are 2-5 pages. I don't go much for full novels these days, especially with humorous stuff as it tends to get played out far longer than I find it funny, so that's pretty much all I got.