Details

Closed to new replies
December 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 52
:iconandharian:
Andharian Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student General Artist
Hey I know wizards need to know magic and all. But wouldn`t they need to study science anyway? I mean, do wizards not need to digest food, or are things not made out of atoms for them? Biology, and Chemistry, and most of Physics- wouldn`t they still need to learn that stuff, or do they remain oblivious to it?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Irish travellers finish school early. Most girls are pulled out around 10-11. They are very 'enclosed' culture, too. If they live that way in real life, why can't wizards?
Andharian Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Student General Artist
Well, Irish Wizards then.
Wut. Irish travellers are a real culture, similar to gypsies. If a real culture can do without it, than why isn't it feasible that a fake one can?
Are you saying knowledge isn`t important? What point are you even making?
Bitch please, I'm an education student.

My point is that there are people in England that do not have education past the same age as wizards do, and their cultures are similar, in the sense that they are insular. It's not a plothole.

If you want to talk about plot-holes, They celebrate Christian things like Christmas*, yet they are 'witches', which are supposedly evil.

*I know it has roots in paganism, but they aren't celebrating pagan festivals which christmas comes from, but rather christmas itself.
er- the whole point of Harry Potter was that 'muggles' made up the whole 'evil' deal about wizards because they saw them on a broom a few times, in their black robes. It says so in 'Quidditch through the ages'. So no, that`s not a plot hole at all, sorry.

Also I hate to break it to you, but wizards don`t exist just in England. And science is taught in schools, which was my point.
Well yes, I understand but majority do study about science but I was wondering how wizards survive with zero knowledge of that stuff.

Wait you`re an education student? If you`re a student doesn`t it imply you`re getting an education anyway...
- the whole point of Harry Potter was that 'muggles' made up the whole 'evil' deal about wizards because they saw them on a broom a few times, in their black robes. It says so in 'Quidditch through the ages'. So no, that`s not a plot hole at all, sorry.

Qudditch was invented in medieval England. The bible, which had been around for MUCH longer, has the passage 'You shall not suffer a witch to live'.

So yes, plothole.

Also I hate to break it to you, but wizards don`t exist just in England

No, but we've only seen how the English system works.

And science is taught in schools, which was my point.
Well yes, I understand but majority do study about science but I was wondering how wizards survive with zero knowledge of that stuff.

...The same way that people who don't have an education in real life survive, which is my point the whole time :slow:

Do you really not know what an education student is? I'm studying education.
But in Harry Potter that ISN`T TRUE. Which is obvious considering all wizards aren`t bad. And you`re taking this in a religious sense, that`s stupid. Religiously almost everything in fantasy is a sin.

WHICH IS MY POINT. They survive, but it`s a pity they haven`t got the choice to study it, whereas muggle kids can.

lol ambitious
(1 Reply)
:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think the way it generally works is that magic is considered to be a force utterly removed from or directly opposed to the laws of nature. By working magic, a wizard circumvents the laws of physics, and thus would only need to concern themselves with the laws governing magic.

However, nothing is fixed in speculative fiction. I have encountered settings where the magic is itself a fundamental force of nature, interacting with matter and energy and governed by its own scientific laws. I've also seen wizards for whom magic and science were utterly indistinguishable. And I've seen wizards who, though recognizing magic and science as fairly distinct forces, were nevertheless proficient in both.

Anyway, such speculation is really only necessary if you intend to write some fantasy yourself. Like I said, nothing is fixed in speculative fiction, so when you read about wizards of varying degrees of scientific literacy, understand that there is no objective standard to judge them against. They may simply be ignorant as a product of their culture (for the pseudo-Medieval variety), or such knowledge could be completely superfluous to them.
But I am writing fantasy xD
aand yeah I agree with you, lot`s of stuff regarding Physics would be irrelevant. But Biology and Chemistry should still be taught!
Add a Comment: