Closed to new replies
December 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

questions to do with harry potter

:iconmaara-g:
Maara-G Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student Filmographer
Ok, ive been a potter lover since i was like eight.now, since ive gotten older and more curious , ive got questions comin out everywhere! So, id like to start discussion on these two questions:

Firstly, jk rowling has said that lycanthropy, in her books, is a metaphor for HIV/AIDS. Does that mean lycanthropy kills the victim, or do they have a normal life expectancy?

Second. What is a boarhound? Is it like a mix between boar and hound, or just big dog like in the films?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconparabuteo78:
Parabuteo78 Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I never knew that about HIV/Aids and lycanthrophy, though looking back on the books and the films, it makes sense it's a metaphor for Lupin's illness. What an amazing writer this woman is!

As for the Boarhound; it's not necessarily just a Great Dane. It is typically a large breed of dog, such as a Great Dane, used to hunt large game.
Dogs used to hunt wild boar (sometimes they have been used this way for centuries); as mentioned the Great Dane, the Boxer, the Fila Brasilero, The Dogo Argentino, the Russian Laika dogs, the Akita, the Cane Corso, Bulldogs, Pitbulls, Staffordshire terriers and the breed used in the films; the Neapolitan Mastiff.
These large, heavy dogs were known as "catch dogs" while smaller and lighter dogs, such as the Rhodesian Ridgeback, several breeds of Curs, the Catahoula and the Plott Hound were also use in boar hunting and were called "bay dogs".
All dogs used in hunting wild boar, of any breed or mix, were known as Boar Hounds.
Maara-G Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Student Filmographer
huh... wow thank you. I dont know much about canines, i know much more about felines, so this was rather refreshing.
:iconmspyro:
MsPyro Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
I was not aware of the HIV/AIDs idea. That's amazing! God I love J.K.. Also I haven't read them in years I need a refresher on what a boarhound...
Maara-G Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Student Filmographer
boaround is according to Imvula, a great dane. and go read dem books again
MsPyro Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
I haven't had the time :iconflailingplz:
Maara-G Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Student Filmographer
Youve got a christmas break from school yea? Give it a shot then :)
MsPyro Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
That's what I've been thinking!
:iconwildthingking:
wildthingking Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012
i was thinking with the HIV/AIDS thing, would she compare the pair( XD ) because there may be little or no symptoms at the start, then as time passes it develops until they host dies?
Maara-G Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student Filmographer
I mean, i guess it would get worse, because lupin gets increasingly worse throughout the books. Not so much the films, but he gets greyer and shabbier in the books. So one can only assume that it does get worse. Just how and why i guess we are just left to speculate.
:iconamperus:
Amperus Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
On the HIV/AIDS thing,I think she compares it to lycantrophy because it works in a similar way.People with HIV/AIDS are often shunted by other people,and find it hard to blend in with others,much like a werewolf.It is a disease they can't get rid off,and soon becomes a part of them.

And as for a boar hound well,=imvula already explained that.
Add a Comment: